Friend Addicted

I just found out my roomate and best friend is addicted to Oxy and Vikadin and I need to know how to get him to stop/quit/rehab?This is dead serious and I dont know how to approach him about it. He doesnt know I know.Please help

Wow, tough situation. Does his family know? I would approach them first, but then again, I've never had to deal with any situation remotely similar to this.I would, however, take a serious inventory of all of your valuables and consider taking them somewhere else. This **** is very addicting (from what i've been told), and people will screw over friends and family to get their next fix.You definately don't want to do this alone. Try calling al-anon (sp?) or something. Good luck and I hope your friend is strong enough to kick it.

His family does not know, and if I told them, he would never talk to me again. Plain and simple. Unless he wants to take my TV theres nothing he can really take.Im at a complete loss.

Letting him know you are aware of the situation would be a start. Other than that there is not much you can do. Tell him you know and tell everyone that cares about him that he's headed down a dark path. No matter what he says, TELL HIS FAMILY what he's up to. Trust me.I've seen a few of my close friends go through the ringer with drugs. It's not pretty to watch. I still don't understand how they can do this sh1t to themselves fully aware of what it's doing to the people that care about them. But thats just it, they don't care. In my friends case, its been going on for years and it's not like were kids anymore, we're all in our mid 30's for christ sake!!!As for your friend, things will probably get worse before they get better. I wish you luck, cause yer gonna need it.

His family does not know, and if I told them, he would never talk to me again. Plain and simple. Unless he wants to take my TV theres nothing he can really take.Im at a complete loss.
TELL HIS FAMILY!!!!!!! If he never talks to you again, so be it. TELL HIS FAMILY!!!!!

If you are truely worried about your friend (which I think you are), it's more important for him to get straight, then you to worry about him never talking to you again.This is something that one person can't do. I think you NEED to involve his family (unless they are not close at all or some other wierd situation).Meh, what do I know. Call a professional. There has to be a 1-800 number where you can ask question from someone who is qualified, rather than trying to get advice from a poker forum (which is filled with people with addictive personalities).Again, good luck.

I don't want discount your concern for this person, but how do you know he's addicted? I mean, I've had some experience in this arena, and typically you will see some fairly profound differences over a period of time, not just come to the conclusion out of the blue that someone is an addict. What's the backstory here?Knowing a little history here may help get you some better advice....

I agree with Hank - have you been witness to his addiction? has it affected you or other firends? Is he aware of his addiction?

I agree with Hank - have you been witness to his addiction? has it affected you or other firends? Is he aware of his addiction?
Yes. He has gotten pills numerous times, but it was my other roomate who aleted me to the exact numbers he has seen him take. Which is daily and sometimes several at a time. He has also seen him crush and snort the pills. Roomate 2 is legit and wouldnt make this up. I dont know if hes aware or not, because I havent said anything to him.What to say to him would help. I cannot tell his family.
+1Does he have a legitimate need for the meds? What makes you suspicious? Background info is key - it can be hard to distinguish true addiction from pseudo-addiction and dependence.Also, if he is really in a lot of pain, taking meds around the clock (at appropriate intervals) would be normal if within generally acceptable doses. In some cases, using more than prescribed can be a result of worsening or poorly treated pain, and usage can returned to safe levels with adequate pain management.If he is using a lot of Vicodin, he needs some help due to the risk of using too much Tylenol (it is one of the ingredients). Though they won't discuss anything with you due to privacy laws, it may warrent a call to the prescribing doctor to alert him that he needs to evaluate the situation. They should be able to get him into a program if needed, too.Good luck - you're friend is lucky he has someone that cares enough to be concerned.1SP

ok now about 10 years back i was very addicted to a bad substance and my girlfriend back then , now my wife , had no idea what to do so she went to my family , which i was so pissed off at her but in the end it all worked out , my family got me the help i needed and if it wasnt for her trying to help me in anyway possible who know what would have been of me now , out of everything that i had done i have no one else to thank but her for caring enough to make that decision

+1Does he have a legitimate need for the meds? What makes you suspicious? Background info is key - it can be hard to distinguish true addiction from pseudo-addiction and dependence.Also, if he is really in a lot of pain, taking meds around the clock (at appropriate intervals) would be normal if within generally acceptable doses. In some cases, using more than prescribed can be a result of worsening or poorly treated pain, and usage can returned to safe levels with adequate pain management.If he is using a lot of Vicodin, he needs some help due to the risk of using too much Tylenol (it is one of the ingredients). Though they won't discuss anything with you due to privacy laws, it may warrent a call to the prescribing doctor to alert him that he needs to evaluate the situation. They should be able to get him into a program if needed, too.Good luck - you're friend is lucky he has someone that cares enough to be concerned.1SP
There is no prescribing doctor. This is a $60 a pill addiction my friend. Is pawning your fathers coin collection to buy pills considered an addicition? Or taking them everyday? Or snorting them? take your pick, he is addicted
Addiction Quiz
There is no prescribing doctor. This is a $60 a pill addiction my friend. Is pawning your fathers coin collection to buy pills considered an addicition? Or taking them everyday? Or snorting them? take your pick, he is addicted
Okay, yeah, you have to tell his family. If he hates you, at least he'll hate you alive and maybe he won't waste his life. This sounds like it has gone beyond recreational fun, or legit pain management. He may be self-medicating a psychological or emotional issue. There may be counseling or meds that are safe and helpful. It's the pawning that makes me the most concerned. Everyday uses sounds bad, too. I hate to say it, but the snorting sounds fun. I think I'll stay away from it.
Addiction QuizOkay, yeah, you have to tell his family. If he hates you, at least he'll hate you alive and maybe he won't waste his life. This sounds like it has gone beyond recreational fun, or legit pain management. He may be self-medicating a psychological or emotional issue. There may be counseling or meds that are safe and helpful. It's the pawning that makes me the most concerned. Everyday uses sounds bad, too. I hate to say it, but the snorting sounds fun. I think I'll stay away from it.
i think the telling of his family is dependent on what kind of family he has. not everyone is lucky enough to come from a loving family, who would be supportive of a son who had this kind of problem. i know i did, and i know i am very lucky in that respect, but many people's families simply wouldn't provide the support the friend would need here.if you have reason to believe they are, then i think it is important to alert the family to it. he may never talk to you again, but it will be to his benefit. it may take some time, but when he recovers, he'll probably realize you had his best intentions in mind.another alternative is to discuss the problem with him, and offer help. unfortunately most of us do not have the expertise to discuss such a problem, nor the ZimCash necessary to help solve it.whatever decision you make, good luck. it takes a very respectable type of person to even consider undertaking this type of thing.

i had a friend who decided it was a good idea to get hooked on crank...when i found out about it, here's what i did (and i'm serious)...i punched him a nice uppercut to the balls, and told him, "see, that's how you doing that shit makes us all feel...think about that next time you feel like smoking it" he cut back quite a bit, and eventually stopped...not suggesting that it will work, but different people react to different approaches i guesswhat i would suggest is getting his family involved...sure he'll hate you for it now, but in the long run he'll thank you for it...

Dude . . . if he is that addicted . . . YOU HAVE TO TELL HIS FAMILY . . . PERIOD!!If his addiction is the way you have made it out . . . what's next to feed it? Sooner or later he will run out of money. Will he steal? Will he rob? Will he kill? (Don't underestimate the last one . . . it is possible for desperate people).Look . . . my brother's best friend was an addict. All his friends blew it off . . . trying to pretend it didn't exist. He was a straight A student and captain of the football team in high school. He had a full football scholarship to UGA. HE IS NOW DEAD! He was so desperate for a fix one night that he drove downtown, found a drug dealer and tried to rob him! The dealer shot him point blank in the head!If you really care about your friend . . . get whoever you can involved . . . especially his family . . . before it's too late.

foose is right, tell his familyunless his family will disown him or beat him, you have to tell them. and if you dont tell them then you are NOT the friend you think you are. your friend will hate you for a while, but if he ever gets his **** together, he'll thank you

Okay sounds like the guy has a problem. What you have to come to terms with is the person you knew before the problem, let's call him "dave" for the sake of illustration, is dead. The person living in dave's place is addict-dave. They are not the same guy. They have many similar attributes, but addict-dave will always carry that piece of him that craves the drug with him, for the rest of his life. So now you have to decide, is maintaining a friendship, at least for a little while longer, with addict-dave worth the pain and heartache that will eventually rear its head. Or, do you care enough about the person that you are willing to potentially give up having him around in order for him to get closer to being pre-addict dave? If you genuinely care about this guy, you have to get everyone (family, friends etc) involved. Period. It won't work otherwise.I don't know if you get A&E on your cable system, but if you do watch an episode or two of the show intervention, because that's where this is heading.good luck.

Thank You everybody. Im going over it in my head and I am going to confront him about it first on thursday when Im driving him to dinner. Were going to talk about it and see what happens. I am going to get his family involved if it doesnt work out on thursday because you are all right, if he goes that far south then I will never forgive myself, and even if he never talks to me again and he ends up ok it is what it is. Thank You Thank You Thank You...