Daer Poker players,I am struggling with all the information available out there.I have bought the sklansky books. I have bought all the books thatare recommended. Here's the problem. In the Sklansky books,he expects you to know the math behind his theories. Even in hisnew book on No Limit, he goes into expectation without even explainingthe math. No matter what you may think about playin poker byfeel, I have learned that the math is important. Yet, you must understandAlgebra in order to make it through the EV part or the implied odds,the chance that your needed cards will come, or outs as it's known.This area of all the poker books seems to be laking, not taking into accountthat the reader may no understand what is being offered. I appreciate the books, but, knowing when to play a certain hand a certainway, this is common to all poker books, except that its from the perspective of that particular writer. So, for Daniel, when you new book comes out, will it have explanations?Does anyone read these books and feel the same about the lack of math eplainations in you poker learning and have you found a way to deal with it.There is more to it than the simple explainations given like multiply outs on the turn by 4 oand by 2 on the riverMany thanksSuperman :club:

Hi again,thanks for the responses. What I meant was this, To understand the math you must be able to do the math. I an talking about explaining the mathto someone wheo has not used it in years or never put it to memory.I will check out the theory of poker again to see if I am wrong.Keep the replies coming.Superman

Here you got.On the flop.Outs x 4On the turn:Outs x 2--Examples:You have a flush draw on the flop, 9 outs. 9 x 4 = 36, thus you have about a 36% chance to hit your flush with two to come. On the turn, if you still just have 9 outs that you think are live, you do 9 x 2= 18, which is about 18% to hit your flush with one to come.weeeeeeeeeeee- Jordanedit- just saw you said there is more to the rule of 4 and 2..ok, well, whatever. math is overrated anyways, and shouldn't be why you are losing at poker...at least..not the main part

Once you get beyond 8th grade and actually TAKE algebra, maybe you will understand. Otherwise, repeat 10th grade until understood!!!Besides, you are freaking SUPERMAN!!! Do you really need poker?

Daer Poker players,I am struggling with all the information available out there.I have bought the sklansky books. I have bought all the books thatare recommended. Here's the problem. In the Sklansky books,he expects you to know the math behind his theories. Even in hisnew book on No Limit, he goes into expectation without even explainingthe math. No matter what you may think about playin poker byfeel, I have learned that the math is important. Yet, you must understandAlgebra in order to make it through the EV part or the implied odds,the chance that your needed cards will come, or outs as it's known.This area of all the poker books seems to be laking, not taking into accountthat the reader may no understand what is being offered. I appreciate the books, but, knowing when to play a certain hand a certainway, this is common to all poker books, except that its from the perspective of that particular writer. So, for Daniel, when you new book comes out, will it have explanations?Does anyone read these books and feel the same about the lack of math eplainations in you poker learning and have you found a way to deal with it.There is more to it than the simple explainations given like multiply outs on the turn by 4 oand by 2 on the riverMany thanksSuperman :club:

i've read some books and can do the math but most of the time I find myself going with my instincts. Knowing your odds are also key but it isn't that hard to get after a while. How often do you play and how long have u been playing?

to say math is OVER-rated in poker is an understatement.poker players run their mouths about math to make themselves feel more important and to make their profession seem more noble.i'm sure we've all criticized opponents for making a seemingly mindless play after they suck out on us. they often reply with some garbage about "pot odds." if you dispute the pot odds with them, they often reply, "hey buddy, i'm a math major."total BS in most cases and any math you will ever need in poker is barely beyond the third grade level - if that. there are many WORLD-CLASS poker players who probably haven't studied a fraction of the math that i have. and i have worked with some great mathematicians at UCLA and their math skills do nothing for their poker game.so when chris ferguson talks about how math helps his game - i don't believe him - he's just trying to make himself out to be more than what he is - a gambler - albeit a great one.99% of the math that ferguson studied at UCLA is WAY beyond "poker math" and the other 1% that he does use, we all knew by junior high (or at least we should of).

there are many WORLD-CLASS poker players who probably haven't studied a fraction of the math that i have. and i have worked with some great mathematicians at UCLA and their math skills do nothing for their poker game.so when chris ferguson talks about how math helps his game - i don't believe him - he's just trying to make himself out to be more than what he is - a gambler - albeit a great one.99% of the math that ferguson studied at UCLA is WAY beyond "poker math" and the other 1% that he does use, we all knew by junior high (or at least we should of).
Yeah if those mathematicians You mention take Algebra 1 as a required course when their major is Jagermeister. There's more math than just pot odds. You didn't mention Game Theory. Your brain also needs to work lightning fast like a calculator for the latter.

lol @some of the replies.OP. dude, u dont need to understand formulas or algebra etc... But you do need to have at least half a brain to become a solid playerThis is due to some problem solving abilities, putting all the pieces of the puzzle together to know where u are in a hand, and math will help with this, Its not diffcult, its simple odds on a 52 card deck with xx amount of players, and xx amount of cards up.. etc...

i find it hard to believe youve read a bunch of poker books and still dont know what i coin flip is. The best thing i can suggest for you is go play some poker. Learn a little bit about the game then re-read the books and see if that helps.

The amount of math you NEED to know to make a profit at poker is tiny. If you can't grasp it, the bigger, more difficult poker issues are definitely beyond you.The quickies: the 4X/2X rules for outs, posted earlier.Chance of hitting a flush if you flop to a four-flush: 36%, about 1 in 3. Around 1 in 5 after the turn.That's it. With that, you can be profitable.To be world class, on the other hand, you need to be able to give and take pot odds in just moments. It's still not complicated math, just tough to keep straight with everything else that is going on. The pros definitely know all the card odds and pot odds at every point, and, most importantly, they know their opponent so that they understand the implied odds in any situation, what their opponent is capable of, and what hand each could be or is representing, and what that means to future betting. The heart of poker is in getting inside your opponent's head. The math is only a small edge compared to that big one.

Why are you playing YOUR cards? You should be playing the other players' cards. Sheesh.