how do you play kk in nl cash games

I am having a horrible time playing KK in NL cash games on Ultimate Bet.It seems like EVERY time I raise with KK, someone else reraises all in from the blinds.I then call and of course see AA.Am I supposed to fold KK in this situation? Assuming I do not have a good read on the player and have no idea what his all in tendencies are like.What if I raise and then someone in front reraises instead of going all in. Should I push all in?I am asking this because i am down several hundred on UB due to KK vs AA. AA is always in front of me and I usually end up calling their all in pre flop and losing to aces. I am not very good at NL cash games yet so any advice and input would be appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having a horrible time playing KK in NL cash games on Ultimate Bet.It seems like EVERY time I raise with KK, someone else reraises all in from the blinds.I then call and of course see AA.Am I supposed to fold KK in this situation? Assuming I do not have a good read on the player and have no idea what his all in tendencies are like.What if I raise and then someone in front reraises instead of going all in. Should I push all in?I am asking this because i am down several hundred on UB due to KK vs AA. AA is always in front of me and I usually end up calling their all in pre flop and losing to aces. I am not very good at NL cash games yet so any advice and input would be appreciated.
KK are Ace magnet.Depending on who the player is see a flop if there is no Ace bet and see where you stand.

I remember reading somewhere once that if you get dealt KK in a 10-handed table, the odds are 25:1 that someone else has AA. I'll take those odds, and the odds of KK against any other hand all in. KK and AA are the only two hands I'll call an all-in with at a cash game, because their expected value is an order of magnitude higher than other hands, even QQ. You've got to think long run, you won't keep getting douched like this.

Here's what you do:Make a raise of about 2.5BB. See the flop. If there's an A, play it slowly. If there's no A, then play it like an overpair and make your cash.

I remember reading somewhere once that if you get dealt KK in a 10-handed table, the odds are 25:1 that someone else has AA.
I can't imagine that that's true.
It's not

here is one i had about 20 min ago...granted I didn't play this that great, but the hand before i got Aces cracked by not playing aggressive enough post-flop and letting someone catch on me...so I played this very aggressive post-flop to at least make someone pay for any draws they have.$25 NL Hold'em - Wednesday, March 09, 19:32:42 EDT 2005Table Table 36872 (Real Money)Seat 4 is the buttonTotal number of players : 10 Seat 2: poligimy ( $55.4 )Seat 3: gsf4l ( $4 )Seat 7: Larmsy ( $15.82 )Seat 9: Jimibeen ( $29.93 )Seat 10: madscout ( $23.65 )Seat 1: MyHuskies ( $24.95 )Seat 5: ItIsPersonal ( $23.15 )Seat 4: Prophet00 ( $25 )Seat 8: HABATICUS ( $25 )Seat 6: BPokey ( $25 )ItIsPersonal posts small blind [$0.1].BPokey posts big blind [$0.25].HABATICUS posts big blind [$0.25].** Dealing down cards **Dealt to MyHuskies [ Kd Kc ]Larmsy folds.HABATICUS checks.Jimibeen folds.madscout calls [$0.25].MyHuskies raises [$1].poligimy calls [$1].gsf4l folds.Prophet00 folds.ItIsPersonal folds.BPokey folds.HABATICUS calls [$0.75].madscout calls [$0.75].** Dealing Flop ** [ 4c, 7d, 9d ]HABATICUS bets [$3].madscout folds.MyHuskies raises [$10].poligimy folds.HABATICUS calls [$7].** Dealing Turn ** [ 8d ]HABATICUS bets [$5].MyHuskies is all-In [$13.95]HABATICUS calls [$8.95].** Dealing River ** [ Ah ]HABATICUS shows [ Th, 7c ] a pair of sevens.MyHuskies shows [ Kd, Kc ] a pair of kings.MyHuskies wins $49.65 from the main pot with a pair of kings.HABATICUS has left the table.Jimibeen has left the table.a lot of things beat me here, but dang it I'm making the ATM's pay for this one :D

I remember reading somewhere once that if you get dealt KK in a 10-handed table, the odds are 25:1 that someone else has AA.
Well, I'm not very sure of it, but do you think that's way too common or way too uncommon, for someone else to have AA when you have KK?

Just get through it man. It seems like its a no win situation, but if you start folding KK preflop or on a disconnected flop without an A, then you should rethink your poker career. You can't go on always being afraid of AA, its just bad poker.

Way too common.By a lot.
This is bugging me, so I'm going to try to figure it out. Well, the probability of the next two cards of the deck being AA is equivalent to the odds of being dealt K A K A off the top of the deck, so there are [(4 aces)/(50 unseen cards)] x [(3 aces)/(49 unseen cards)] = .004898. That is DEFINITELY the odds of getting dealt KK to AA heads up, 204:1.Here's where it gets tricky to me. I think I should multiply that number by 9 other hands dealt in to figure the probability. This will tell us the probability that AA are a two-card pair within the next 9 hands dealt in, to equal a probability of .044082. Take the inverse of that, and that gives us odds of 22.68:1.If other cards are dealt off that aren't aces within the next 9 hands, then they're still unseen so we can assume it's equivalent if the AA is next off or last of 9 off. That's where my methodology is incorrect, if anywhere, I believe. But I believe it to be correct.Think of it another way. The odds of being dealt any rank-specific pocket pair are 221:1. 221 times 22.68 is 5,012. That means that after being dealt 5,012 hands you have a 50% expectation of seeing KK run into AA. That seems reasonable to me.Now I am a college dropout, but I WAS an honors student at UGA before I did drop out, lol. I invite dissenting opinions or corrections in my methodology.
So if someone reraises me all in and i have KK in a nl cash game it is correct to ALWAYS call assuming you do not have any reads or previous knowledge of the player?
If you have no reads then its pretty hard to laydown

I would venture to say so. Barring any tells or anything, and even then I would call. One hand beats it preflop, and one hand only. Now if it was against multiple all-ins, I'd probably drop it. I just think you hit an unfortunate run of real bad luck with the warriors. In the long run, you should make money making that call with KK. That is unless one of the math wiz strategy wizards on this forum proves me otherwise. Meh, it could happen I suppose, but I don't see anyone telling you to actually fold KK preflop.I will say though if you raise and get called, and they bet out on an A on the flop, you should then probably fold your hand unless you got 4 to the flush or something. It's one of the hardest things to do, I've done it a couple of times, and it hurts, but you have to be smart and think they wouldn't bet out on an A to your raise unless they have an A as well.

Well, I'm not very sure of it, but do you think that's way too common or way too uncommon, for someone else to have AA when you have KK?
Being dealt AA is like 220-1
Here's what you do:Make a raise of about 2.5BB. See the flop. If there's an A, play it slowly. If there's no A, then play it like an overpair and make your cash.
sorry but this advice sounds terrible to me but of course i could be wrong i think u should raise atleast 4BB and even if an ace flops u should still lead out with a strong bet
So if someone reraises me all in and i have KK in a nl cash game it is correct to ALWAYS call assuming you do not have any reads or previous knowledge of the player?
I believe so. KK is a favorite over any other hand preflop except AA, and you're only behind when it is AA. Every time you're getting re-raised all-in with KK you are a favorite, and that makes it profitable enough to be correct calling even considering the times it IS AA. This is even more correct if I'm wrong about the probability of having KK and AA dealt in the same hand.
I believe so. KK is a favorite over any other hand preflop except AA, and you're only behind when it is AA. Every time you're getting re-raised all-in with KK you are a favorite, and that makes it profitable enough to be correct calling even considering the times it IS AA. This is even more correct if I'm wrong about the probability of having KK and AA dealt in the same hand.
More than that, alot of people seem to like to push AK all in preflop these days. Im not sure if that is TV poker influence or not, but its happening a ton in online cash games. You cant really pass up the chance to bust someone that does this.
Being dealt AA is like 220-1
For ONE person being dealt AA, yes.For ANY of the 9 opponents at your table having it, I've heard a similar figure to what TJ_Eckleburg did (I actually heard it was 23 to 1, but I'll do the math myself and see).

aces are like 220 to 1Yes, that's true, the odds of getting dealt any rank-specific pocket pair are 220.99936:1, or 221:1. The question, however, is what are the odds of getting dealt AA when two kings are out of the deck in a 10 handed table.

(actually, I heard it was 23:1, but I'll do the math myself to see)Well, I did the math, and I got 22.68 to 1. That rounds to 23:1, so maybe I'm right after all.

That sounds about right, yes.I get either 23.22:1 (If I factor the two cards in your hand in, which can actually be ANY two cards that aren't aces), or somewhere in the 24-25:1 region (If I don't).EDIT: By the way, yes, always call an all-in with KK preflop. The many times when it isn't AA going all-in will more than offset the times it is AA.

tell me the odds of KK vs AA when there are 4 people left in $1000 buy-in tourney . cuz it happened to me at foxwoods in 2002. and I had the KK :D . not fun. whatever
Again, if I'm doing the math right, there's about a 1.4% chance of that happening, which makes it roughly a 68:1 shot.Ouch.