I Called In Sick Today

Iowa just had an online poker bill pass the senate yesterday. If it passes the house and actually will go into effect in a decent time frame, it would be a big factor for me to consider before moving out of state like I want to.Also, Sleeping Beauty.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

strat you should have gone in there all "what do I look like?" and he'll be all "what?" and you'll say "DO I LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!" all angry like and then say "then why you try to fuck me like a bitch boss?" and I'd be he'd have appreciated that.yes you did, pres, YES YOU DID

yeah, I agree. I was torn between emailing or calling but... he's got enough shit going on that he doesn't need me calling him again, I'm sure. I'm cool with it as long as I can make it sound sincere.seriously though, would it have been so hard to just throw me a bone? I don't dream of leaving them [until I get a call from mk] at $12-13/hour or whatever, and they said my bosses had nothing but positive stuff to say about me. why in the world would you risk a situation that's working so well? what you guys said, almost precisely what hank said in particular ("they are prepared to blindly charge ahead anyway"), reads like cynicism but is apparently 100% true.
I was going to ask if you had thought about going to your manager first before bothering the bank president, but I forgot you work in a smallish bank and then I remembered I talk to bank presidents all the time and I'm basically just an AR clerk, so probably not so far fetched for a teller to go talk to the president.
yeah, I agree. I was torn between emailing or calling but... he's got enough shit going on that he doesn't need me calling him again, I'm sure. I'm cool with it as long as I can make it sound sincere.seriously though, would it have been so hard to just throw me a bone? I don't dream of leaving them [until I get a call from mk] at $12-13/hour or whatever, and they said my bosses had nothing but positive stuff to say about me. why in the world would you risk a situation that's working so well? what you guys said, almost precisely what hank said in particular ("they are prepared to blindly charge ahead anyway"), reads like cynicism but is apparently 100% true.
Hank? Hank? C'mon. C'MON. Banks have been taking beatings, struggling to reinvent revenue streams, writing off loans left and right, zi can say with a certainty, that he doesn't care what the peons make, as long as its on the low end. Cuz if you leave, the next employee will be making less. It's a sad state of affairs for the employee, but it's a fact. Quality isn't that important in banking. Honestly, zi have friends that manage banks and regional managers. Half are idiots, and half are just hiding from the idiots. And the idiots are hiding from their bosses, making sure they do the right dance to keep them off their back and collect that check and book a little more into that 401k. There aren't a lot of bright, rational, pragmatic thinkers in the banking game, at least not at the branch level. Don't get me wrong, there are some smart people, but there are way more dummies. Mostly the women, amirite Bravy?
I was going to ask if you had thought about going to your manager first before bothering the bank president, but I forgot you work in a smallish bank and then I remembered I talk to bank presidents all the time and I'm basically just an AR clerk, so probably not so far fetched for a teller to go talk to the president.
oh, I made absolutely sure to go through the chain, and I communicated this multiple times to my immediate supervisor. but I mean, I am really loose about speaking my mind to him when it seems appropriate. this in particular was really stupid though.
weren't you, at some point, thinking about moving away?
Hank? Hank? C'mon. C'MON. Banks have been taking beatings, struggling to reinvent revenue streams, writing off loans left and right, zi can say with a certainty, that he doesn't care what the peons make, as long as its on the low end. Cuz if you leave, the next employee will be making less. It's a sad state of affairs for the employee, but it's a fact. Quality isn't that important in banking. Honestly, zi have friends that manage banks and regional managers. Half are idiots, and half are just hiding from the idiots. And the idiots are hiding from their bosses, making sure they do the right dance to keep them off their back and collect that check and book a little more into that 401k. There aren't a lot of bright, rational, pragmatic thinkers in the banking game, at least not at the branch level. Don't get me wrong, there are some smart people, but there are way more dummies. Mostly the women, amirite Bravy?
the model is just so old and well-understood, I'm really not surprised that salaries continue to trend down. dance for the old people, make it so they don't have to change a single thing about their routine, and in return you get to invest their capital at an incredible spread. small banks are probably always gonna be around, and all they do is print money for the owners, do nothing for virtually anyone else involved in the equation.I'm such a horse's ass. good thing speedz isn't around to remind me about it after I've already admitted it. how am I ever going to make a life decision when this place is gone? I only look smart because I bounce everything off of you guys, and I still fuck it up sometimes.

Meh, don't be too hard on yourself. I really admire and commend your balls to talk to the big boss. That's good shit right there. Just work on your timing.

[/i]ck it up sometimes.
Just do what I do...Hire the popular girls from the local middle school to follo you around(beans orders a PBR at strip bar)"Ewwww....Seriously?....dude that is so totally gross"I need to shut off the shop TV
Iowa just had an online poker bill pass the senate yesterday. If it passes the house and actually will go into effect in a decent time frame, it would be a big factor for me to consider before moving out of state like I want to.
Wasn't black friday a federal government thing though? If Iowa passes some law making it legal but the feds don't go along, aren't you still SOL??Kind of like Medical Marijuana. It's legal in a few states, WA and CA I know for sure, but the feds shut down the "dispenseries" due to federal law.
I'm such a horse's ass. good thing speedz isn't around to remind me about it after I've already admitted it. how am I ever going to make a life decision when this place is gone? I only look smart because I bounce everything off of you guys, and I still fuck it up sometimes.
I don't think you're a horses ass. Or that your timing was bad. Your delivery was what screwed you. As you said, your opening line put the pres. on the defensive from the get go. Ever hear of the good-bad-good theory of confronting someone? Start with something good..."I really enjoy working here and appreciate the opportunity to get more responsibility working in IT..." Then the bad "...As much as I appreciate the .50 cent raise, I really feel based on what I've seen in the market that $9.xx an hour is $2 - $3 below the market for what I do..." Then back to the good "...I understand the tough economy (blah, blah, blah) but feel I provide a real value to the company. I really enjoy my job and the people I work with so I'm really hoping we can work this out to where we're both happy..."Again, it's all in the delivery. You've got to learn to butter 'em up a bit before you take their head off, ya know?Anyway...just my .02
weren't you, at some point, thinking about moving away?
Yes. I'll be moving to Chicago in Mayish. I picked up a job as a trader. I'm not sure what that is, but they said no experience necessary.PS. I'm seriously moving to Chicago in May.
Wasn't black friday a federal government thing though? If Iowa passes some law making it legal but the feds don't go along, aren't you still SOL??Kind of like Medical Marijuana. It's legal in a few states, WA and CA I know for sure, but the feds shut down the "dispenseries" due to federal law.
Different than marijuana: the UIGEA specifically does not apply itself to legal intra-state gambling. The Wire Act also only applies to interstate betting.
That's it, good night folks.
Yeah he really is screwed if he's identifying with my nonsense.

it's going to be really hard to work tomorrow. this will be the first time i have to be someplace without tv's during the ncaa tournaments first two days. i just dont see how i get anything done.

it's going to be really hard to work tomorrow. this will be the first time i have to be someplace without tv's during the ncaa tournaments first two days. i just dont see how i get anything done.
I'm with ya buddy. I'm having almost uncontrollable urges to just bet every game on the board today. This sucks.

I slept ok. something I forgot to mention. the pres said something to the effect of, "when an employee starts discussing comp so early, it's usually a sign of trouble, that they're going to continue to bother you in the future."I've been with them for seven months now, waited over two months since the promotion to get the raise... what is 'early' about this conversation?I mean, I'm just awestruck thinking about how the conversation went. the dialogue is straight out of, like, catch-22. or something.

Fwiw, when I got my "promotion" two weeks into the job I didn't say anything about a payraise until...ever. Our YE is June 30 and it was beginning of June when I was promoted and I thought that was way to early to bring it up since I hadn't really started yet. And then I was to afraid to bring it up over the next few months as I felt like I was still learning/being trained and then by the time I thought I should say something, annual review was in a month or two and so I just went "meh". Boss ended up just putting a piece of paper in front of me with a raise and I just signed it not knowing if I had room to negotiate or anything. I'll probably bring it up this year though since I should have my CPA by then plus they've added a lot more responsibilities and such and decent chance I'll be leaving in a few months anyways so might as well and see if they really want to keep me or not. I'm really a wuss about making waves though. Probably to my detriment. I'm amazed at the balls you had.

its def not the same. plus, my computer faces the hall so anyone who walks past my cubicle can see what i'm looking at. that doesnt bode well for this type of thing. i cant have the boss sneaking up on me and catching a glimpse of live basketball. especially when i have a shit ton of stuff to do. DAMN THIS DAY.

Mine will be shamelessly displayed on a second monitor and anyone who comes to me to talk science will have to just deal with me looking away from them every few minutes.I actually prefer watching on the computer.

I've been with them for seven months now, waited over two months since the promotion to get the raise... what is 'early' about this conversation?
The seven months part. Anything before one year is too early. But the fact that there was a promotion there alleviates some of it. Except that that would've been the time to discuss the raise, not two months later.
If you pay $4 you can get streaming of every game online and on your phone.http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness
Wait, we have to pay for this now? Last year it was free.
Mine will be shamelessly displayed on a second monitor and anyone who comes to me to talk science will have to just deal with me looking away from them every few minutes.I actually prefer watching on the computer.
Yeah, it's expected.
Different than marijuana: the UIGEA specifically does not apply itself to legal intra-state gambling. The Wire Act also only applies to interstate betting.
Thanks. So, will the online poker sites open up play on a state by state basis I wonder? Not that it matters to me since WA was one of the first statesto ban online play I think.
I slept ok. something I forgot to mention. the pres said something to the effect of, "when an employee starts discussing comp so early, it's usually a sign of trouble, that they're going to continue to bother you in the future."I've been with them for seven months now, waited over two months since the promotion to get the raise... what is 'early' about this conversation?I mean, I'm just awestruck thinking about how the conversation went. the dialogue is straight out of, like, catch-22. or something.
Hmm.....a pre-emptive strike to let you know not to initiate conversations like this in the future?
The seven months part. Anything before one year is too early. But the fact that there was a promotion there alleviates some of it. Except that that would've been the time to discuss the raise, not two months later.
x2