I Called In Sick Today

How do you memorise songs? I find it really difficult to remember and can only play 1 or 2 songs from memory.
I don't really know how to answer that...I find it really easy to remember the music in terms of chord progressions, etc., but it takes me a lot more time to memorize lyrics. As with almost anything, it's all about repetition, I guess.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I don't really know how to answer that...I find it really easy to remember the music in terms of chord progressions, etc., but it takes me a lot more time to memorize lyrics. As with almost anything, it's all about repetition, I guess.
There are tons of songs that I have played over and over but I still wouldn't know the chords without looking. I learn lyrics very easily but I find it tedious to try to memorise chords. I could test myself on it etc to learn but then it's no fun any more.
That...sounds....awesome. So do they need to actual do a community basketball league now? I feel like the cost/annoyance of having to coordinate that wouldn't be worth the $30k. But wasn't Paul the same one who thought we'd all be dead from swine flu by now?
Yeah, same dude. His son plays so he's actually happy about it. But also, the non-profit just has to own it. It's not required by law that the non-profit actually does anything for the property tax discount.
There are tons of songs that I have played over and over but I still wouldn't know the chords without looking. I learn lyrics very easily but I find it tedious to try to memorise chords. I could test myself on it etc to learn but then it's no fun any more.
That's interesting. One thing I've learned while trying to to fail out of vet school is that I'm a much better visual learner than I am an auditory learner. Some people in my class can sit through a horribly boring lecture and soak in everything the professor says, but I have to read the books and associate the words with pictures before anything sinks in. Some people can hear a song twice and remember all the lyrics, but when I listen to music I rarely even hear the lyrics. I could listen to a song I really enjoy a hundred times and still not be able to tell you what it's about. But if I watch a youtube video of someone playing a song on guitar and then play it a few times myself, that's all I need to remember the chords for a long time...I don't remember "A, C, B, D, repeat," I just remember how it looks and feels when I play it.I know that's not helpful to you, but I think it's a somewhat interesting subject.

my roommates in 2007, the two that shared the basement, seemed to have all of jack johnson's big songs memorized. they had a drum set and kinda thought they were gonna start a band with this douchebag a few classes up from us.I got along well with about 50% of my roommates throughout college. I really only hated two guys, wish I had kept in touch with all the rest. the perception around here that I was incapable of being friendly with roommates was wildly inaccurate.

for valentines day my hetero-life mate and i are going shopping and then a quiet night in watching tv. pretty much what we do every day, minus the shopping for new shoes. my sneakers are super worn out after this harsh winter. looking for a stylish shoe, with comfort and durability on its side. i'll let you know.

So speedz, what romantic junk are you planning for your chick for valentines?
We're going out to a Cambodian/French restaurant that I think you'd really appreciate. It may have a funny name, but the menu looks fantastic, and there are a ton of vegan options. She requested that we don't do the whole flowers and gifts thing, and it'll just be followed by spending the night at my place. I guess that doesn't sound all that romantic, but we're on a budget so we don't get to go out to nice dinners often, and we only spend about 2-3 nights together a week, so any night together is cause for excitement.Any big plans with your almost-doctor friend?
We're going out to a Cambodian/French restaurant that I think you'd really appreciate. It may have a funny name, but the menu looks fantastic, and there are a ton of vegan options. Any big plans with your almost-doctor friend?
That place does look really nice, I love it when restaurants have a section on the menu for vegetarian dishes. Is your girl vegan?No big plans. We're going to meet up, hang out, and not have sex. I think we're going to go for a walk, watch some TV/movies at his place, and have a Chinese takeaway.
That place does look really nice, I love it when restaurants have a section on the menu for vegetarian dishes. Is your girl vegan?
Nah, the vegetarian menu at this place is just a coincidence, but I thought you'd appreciate it.
No big plans. We're going to meet up, hang out, and not have sex. I think we're going to go for a walk, watch some TV/movies at his place, and have a Chinese takeaway.
Sounds great, actually. Aside from the obvious...although I suppose it still hasn't been very long, so it's reasonable.
We're going out to a Cambodian/French restaurant that I think you'd really appreciate. It may have a funny name, but the menu looks fantastic, and there are a ton of vegan options. She requested that we don't do the whole flowers and gifts thing, and it'll just be followed by spending the night at my place. I guess that doesn't sound all that romantic, but we're on a budget so we don't get to go out to nice dinners often, and we only spend about 2-3 nights together a week, so any night together is cause for excitement.Any big plans with your almost-doctor friend?
I would say "funny name" is an understatement. But then I'm only a year removed from making little pledgies do elephant walks.Kidding. Our hazing was strictly mental, and really, pretty tame compared to what a lot of my friends in other frats had to go through, which probably explains why I've been mostly apathetic towards the frat after my pledging year.Edit: You know, if we hazed, which we didn't. Because that's against bylaws.
Sounds great, actually. Aside from the obvious...although I suppose it still hasn't been very long, so it's reasonable.
We've been dating for about 3 weeks. How long do you guys normally take to switch from "dating" to "girlfriend/boyfriend"? I am definitely not ready to be this guy's girlfriend yet, and I told him when he wants me to be he has to tell me (until then I think it's still ok for me to be open to finding a different boy). Is that normal protocol?

but seriously folks, I'm spending valentines day, hell, weekend with netflix, elliott smith, and pizza. so far it's been great. got the social network coming up here in about an hour. gonna be something else!and I did get a valentine's from my house: a brand new black widow! just what I've always wanted!actually it wasn't in my house thank goodness, but it was almost as bad: in my garden. I was just outside putting plastic over the ground to try to kill weeds before I plant, and after I had gotten it all laid down and had been moving bricks and rocks and stuff around to various places to hold the plastic down, without gloves no less, I saw it. just cruising along on top of the plastic trying to get away to the edge of the garden. and man, it was a big fucker too. the abdomen had to have been a full centimeter if not bigger, and anybody who's ever seen a black widow knows that is fuck all big. smashed it good though. splizzat bitch.

We've been dating for about 3 weeks. How long do you guys normally take to switch from "dating" to "girlfriend/boyfriend"? I am definitely not ready to be this guy's girlfriend yet, and I told him when he wants me to be he has to tell me (until then I think it's still ok for me to be open to finding a different boy). Is that normal protocol?
As soon as I decide to go on a second date with a girl, I won't date anyone else, so I'm probably not the right guy to answer this for you. I'd say about 4-6 weeks is average to start using those labels, depending on how often you see each other, but first you have to have the awkward conversation about it.
but seriously folks, I'm spending valentines day, hell, weekend with netflix, elliott smith, and pizza. so far it's been great. got the social network coming up here in about an hour. gonna be something else!
That does sound pretty good to a guy who's studying reproductive pathophysiology all weekend. Sorry you're still scared of spiders. I mean, sorry to hear about your spider problem.

Dear Shake,I apologize for having insinuated that you may have a mild case of arachnaphobia. I know this is not the case, as you are far to masculine to be afraid of anything.On a subject completely unrelated to this apology, I need your advice. I recently purchased a sweet dark yellow (mustard?) corduroy jacket (yes, with elbow patches) from my local Salvation Army. I'm thinking that I'd like to wear it to dinner tomorrow, and I'm not quite sure what to wear it with. The restaurant seems like the dress code would be somewhere between casual and dressy (whatever that's called), so jeans would be a possibility, or I have dress pants in a few different shades from white to khaki. I do have a linen (I think) dress shirt with thin vertical yellow and white stripes that I think matches pretty well with the jacket, but I don't know if that's somehow a bad idea. I guess the other options would be dress shirts of different colors, polo shirts (probably a bad idea?), or a t-shirt. I'll of course be wearing fancy Valentine's Day undergarments, but I don't think that needs to be part of this discussion.Thanks for your help, you are the most badass guy who also dresses well that I've ever known. Also unrelated to my previous apology.Speedz

I accept your apology because I understand that people from above the mason dixon line have a general lack of understanding of the dangers that lie outside of the home other than potholes and blacks, so you didn't know of which you spoke. now on to the outfit.don't wear the yellow linen. linen is for summer and a corduroy sport coat is decidedly NOT summer, and yellow on yellow would actually clash. do you have either a burgundy or dark brown collard shirt? I'm thinking that may work. honestly I think a plain white oxford dress shirt may be good too. and go with regular khakis, not too dark, not too light. but really, without me seeing a picture of your jacket and a better description of your shirt options (colors, patterns) I'm afraid I'm really just throwing darts blindfolded here.hmm, thinking about it, and I'm sure this isn't a possibility since I'm sure you don't have one, but a very light shade of pink shirt would probably be perfect. I'm thinking a light pink button down oxford (you do know what an oxford shirt is, don't you? google it) would be perfect, especially for a valentines dinner.I can't believe I don't have a girlfriend boyfriend god damn it.