Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

When do you guys go to work/get home? What are you commutes like? I have a 14 minute commute.

During school, I work 9am until whenever. Sometimes that's 3pm...sometimes 9pm. During our busy span, I was working like 55-60 hours per week...and 7 days per week. During the summer, it has basically been 5 days per week for a total of 20 hours or so.

I have a 12-17min commute depending on traffic and lights.

• Like 1

I have been reading this book off and on for a few weeks:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01NAIQV62/

It's what prompted me to directly talk to the CEO about my path and express frustration with the lack of guidance. The guys they interview talk pretty directly about establishing succession timeframes, meta discussions about roles and responsibilities before anyone is hired, etc. It made me realize that I was stupid for taking a passive approach after getting completely passed over back in the last review season; that I should have been more direct in asking for next steps on the road to becoming the next C-suite operations person.

Anyway, the book is interesting because the titles and responsibilities are all over the place at these huge public companies, but yet it seems to make infinitely more sense than how my firm is set up. We have a #1 and a #2 stepping all over the rest of the organization's responsibilities, seemingly at random. The reality is that I'm not in contention for the #2 spot in the firm, which is how most COOs seem to define it, but maybe I could be #3 or #4 someday as CTO or Chief Innovation Officer or something. Title is kind of irrelevant, I just want to be the person translating strategy into execution in terms of technology and process, and maybe someday that can be a new business line that I run, outsourced to other firms.

I have said privately to the #3 or #4 in my company that, if my career at this firm has hit a plateau, it makes no sense for me to live this far away from the rest of my family. I can easily get a similar job back home in this absurd job market.. the distinguisher to this firm, and the sole reason for living here, was that I could work hard in exchange for career progression. I'm pretty sure that was a factor in bringing these role/responsibility discussions back to the fore.

• Like 2

Because a lot of people go to their cabins on the weekend in the summer so they just allow people to work the different schedule to take advantage of it. And because the days are longer. I would work this year round if I could though. It’s awesome. Don’t feel like I miss anything during the week and Friday ends up feeling like an extra day off.

• Like 1

What site and what time are you getting these stats from? Don't think we didn't notice you slacking on the 6th.

• Like 1

What site and what time are you getting these stats from? Don't think we didn't notice you slacking on the 6th.

1) Real Feel is proprietary for Accuweather, which is the website I use

2) I use the high temp, when ever that occurs

3) I didn't skip the 6th, I just had the days mislabeled. I had two august 4th's and the wrong august 5th. I've edited them to represent the correct dates. There will be no Fritzing in year one of the Iowa vs South Florida Real Feel August statistical comparison. .

• Like 2

Listen, some of us depend upon the accuracy of the IvSFRFASC so let's make sure we're 100% on target with accuracy before hitting that post button, mkay? Tighten it up man, don't make us have to get a fact checker up in here.

• Like 2

Been having some abdominal pains over the last few weeks. Feels like a vice, squeezing my insides. Blood work all normal, they tell me. Have an ultra sound tomorrow. Doc thinks it might be gallstones. Let’s hope it’s not my colon, or they might have to get in there and find some answers.

Colon stuff is horrible and I want to avoid it at all costs, even though I shouldn't. Hopefully it's gallstones.

CEO apparently took our conversation about path as a request to change managers. This quickly escalated into a proposal to have my position reassigned under an IT director who pretty clearly has a desire to roll operations up as a subordinate unit.

Initially, it looked like I had screwed myself pretty badly, but I finally just got with my current manager and explained that:

I would prefer to stay where I am and keep a relationship that’s working, intact

I want to sit down with the CEO and my current boss and the COO to collectively map out what we are doing to get me ready for the COO seat over the next five years

I need my title to be changed to reflect that I am not simply working on data and reporting anymore

I should have just come to her with the path discussion, and that I didn’t mean for it to turn into this

She was good with all of that. I don’t know if the CEO is going to get bent out of shape, guess we will find out. I am ready to quit if this change is forced on me, because in my mind, giving this IT douche the ability to set narrative on me over the next several years can only be bad for me.

Colon stuff is horrible and I want to avoid it at all costs, even though I shouldn't. Hopefully it's gallstones.

it was gallstones. whole mess of them apparently. googled it and i can’t eat anything that tastes good, so life is basically over.