I Called In Sick Today

I believe Sklansky is the resident bedding expert...

Stayed home today because the car had a (mostly) flat tire and I needed an oil change. Turns out the tire had two nails right next to each other so the tire needed replaced. That what happens when I'm driving onto shed lots all day I guess.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Napa, go look for the buffalo trace antique collection. it was just released in iowa. bottles under $200, I will pay you $100 to buy them for me.

https://www.buffalot...ique-collection

There are five of them and all are impossible to find.

I'm still confused about all this. All of these bottles are at Costco here: (i've only seen the Eagle Rare a couple of times)

Antique-GTS_0.pngBuffaloTrace.pngEAGLE-RARE-NEW.png

0 for 2 so far, Strat. Gonna stop at another place and check. I called their number to see if I could get a list of where to find them in Iowa but nobody answered so I left a message. TRYING TO MAKE YOU PROUD, FRIEND.

Place I walked into there was a distributor talking to the staff about how there was 10 bottles of the 17 yr old Sazarec state wide.

I'm not finding any of it. Sorry, Strat.

They did have two types of the EH Taylor. I believe a yellow and red ring on the canister. Was like $73 and $44. He suggested I buy them to round out a collection. Figured I'd check with you first.

I'm still confused about all this. All of these bottles are at Costco here: (i've only seen the Eagle Rare a couple of times)

Antique-GTS_0.png

this bottle is extremely rare, and if it is on the shelf, you should buy it! whether you decide to send it to me for a commission or drink it is your call. my guess is that you are seeing stagg jr (it's more shorter and blacker), which is still a phenomenal bourbon, but I have a case of it already.

napa, stay away from EH Taylor--it's wildly overpriced for what it is. you will love angel's envy, but I don't generally keep a bottle because I'm just addicted to the higher proof stuff. wine searcher is a good way to check whether what you're buying is reasonably priced.

http://www.wine-sear...ky kentucky usa

they have an app, so you can check stuff while you're shopping.

• Like 1

it's the same story in kansas, the nicer bourbons just don't make it to the shelf. it's either going to someone who has spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years with that particular store, or the owner, or some friend of the owner's, or an employee is taking it to craigslist.

funny that you got to hear it straight from the distributor.

I had to honk at and then flip off someone today. They had stopped in the middle of the turning lane to talk to someone in the car next to them in the other lane while what little precious time our green turning arrow provides us was trickling away. I honked at them after giving them five seconds to wrap it up and then again, after 10 more seconds. When they finally decided to go they flipped me off so I returned the favor.

It was a Toyota Avalon and from the rear profile of the driver it was either a mop headed teenager or a middle aged woman. Either way, I was ready to throw hands and bang if necessary.

• Like 1

this summer, at a family gathering, a few of us were sharing a bottle of stagg jr. my cousin's husband comes up to us to say, "I know a dude in texas who scored a whole case of the REAL stagg last year, heh heh." I asked him how he did it, he just rubbed two fingers together, you know, the 'money' gesture? we offered him a pour, he declines, walks away. anyway, if any of you are Breaking Bad fans, this guy has Hank's personality, except not a law enforcement person.

I probably told this story before, sorry.

• Like 1

i dont remember that story, strat. but i enjoyed it. tell more stories please. same for napa. once i honked and they didn't instantly move i'd have laid on the horn continuously until they moved. no time for all that.

I'm curious about these booze selling sites....is it legal to seek booze without a license publicly like this? Is there some limit to the amount you can sell without needing a license?

another story:

my coworker, who is enormously fat, is an even more illogical alcohol guy than I am. he's shown me his collection before, and it appears to be about $2k worth of scotch, bourbon, and rye. I took him to a distillery a few weekends ago (as a quasi-apology for something rude that I had done) and he literally spent $800 on four bottles. it's very possible that bourbon is undergoing a demand curve shift, and might just permanently start to be priced like scotch. I don't believe it, though. it may be another decade before supply can catch up, but eventually, I think my coworker's four bottles will return to their pre-craze value, which may be 1/4th or worse.

• Like 1

my coworker is so unbelievably fat you guys

I'm curious about these booze selling sites....is it legal to seek booze without a license publicly like this? Is there some limit to the amount you can sell without needing a license?

I think it is legal for liquor stores in FL, CA, NY, and a few other states to sell online... since those are the ones consistently listing booze with their names visible. it is only legal to ship to certain states, so people in my company just get booze shipped to our Indiana location.

it is definitely NOT legal for individuals to sell booze on sites like craigslist, but I don't know what the consequences would be if you got nailed by a 'narc'. I will never sell on craigslist for that reason. I don't think I would get insta-canned if I had to disclose something idiotic like that on my ADV, but why risk it?

• Like 2

another story:

my coworker, who is enormously fat, is an even more illogical alcohol guy than I am. he's shown me his collection before, and it appears to be about $2k worth of scotch, bourbon, and rye. I took him to a distillery a few weekends ago (as a quasi-apology for something rude that I had done) and he literally spent $800 on four bottles. it's very possible that bourbon is undergoing a demand curve shift, and might just permanently start to be priced like scotch. I don't believe it, though. it may be another decade before supply can catch up, but eventually, I think my coworker's four bottles will return to their pre-craze value, which may be 1/4th or worse.

You don't understand the value drivers of 'magical' products.

They do not price based on value. They price based in perception and delusion, ergo, 'vintages' serve to create an imaginary line of demarcation against which delusional cork-sniffing retards can claim that one year is superior to another and that fixes the supply, creating a 'collector' and ego market chasing magical vintages.

Gibson guitars realized that they could price their guitars for double, triple what they were selling for because the people who were buying them weren't doing so on the basis of value (there were other guitars that cost much less and were just as well- in some cases, better- made) but on the basis of 'achievement' and typical collector-sentiment.

Once you're in that world, price has nothing to do with value. The goal is to extract as much money as possible out of the idiots dumb enough to buy your shit. Its perception and once you can get your product to price on the basis of how its perceived rather than what it actually is, its simply a matter of affirming that the people who buy it are the smartest, most discriminating consumers around who really set themselves apart from the hoi polloi in buying your stuff... to get their naive cash.

In short, if bourbon has entered 'this world', it will never price rationally again, until the market abandons cork-sniffing sentiment which really, in recent years has gotten worse, not better, with basically everything, mostly because hipsters and millennials are hugely insecure with how they're perceived by others, which causes them to pursue things that they believe makes them 'look smart'.

This is immensely exploitable.

strat, is he over 400 pounds? and is he successful? I think its pretty clear in corporate america that obese people will not be promoted into positions of power. it's helping me get my diet under control because i need to stay where i am to keep moving up.

I'll check, it may be the Jr. didn't realize there was a difference.

if it's the jr. and it's not too much more than $60, you should try it! buffalo trace is just mismanaging the shit out of the label. try neat, then add a little water.

strat, is he over 400 pounds? and is he successful? I think its pretty clear in corporate america that obese people will not be promoted into positions of power. it's helping me get my diet under control because i need to stay where i am to keep moving up.

I would guess he is at least 350, but I don't really know. big enough that standing is not something he can do for very long. he is a very smart guy who will be successful (at some other company) despite his weight. I don't like him very much, mostly because he is one of those people who will murder a conversation just to make sure you know that he has memorized the wikipedia page on the topic at hand. in our industry, it is very important to be in shape and/or personable, and though he's a nice person, he's neither.

you would say the same about wine, I guess?

101%.

Biggest hoax market next to modern art... and they both exploit exactly the same people.

• Like 1