Baseball Trivia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From 1950 onwards, only 3 pitchers have won 20 games while their team finished in last place. Who are these guys? Two are pretty easy. Some interesting things about the players:One is the only pitcher since 1900 to win 20 for a club that lost 100 games. One won the pitching triple crown (Wins, ERA, SO's) that very year. One had his only 20 win season that very year.

I'll take the easy one....Steve CarltonAlso how about Nolan Ryan and one of either the Niekro or Perry Brothers?

Who are the 4 active players that are the current-franchise hits leader? This is the question for the Yankees/Mariners game, sorry to interrupt pitching question. mlb.tv will have the answer within the next inning or two.

I'll take the easy one....Steve Carlton
Someone on sports radio was going over Carlton's numbers the other day, and they were looking at the records of the other pitchers on his team. I assume this was the 100 loss season, because everyone was like 4-15. It's hard to fathom someone can win 20+ on an awful team when you look at the year that Greinke has had, and Matt Cain in the past.I don't really have any other guesses though.
From 1950 onwards, only 3 pitchers have won 20 games while their team finished in last place. Who are these guys? Two are pretty easy. Some interesting things about the players:One is the only pitcher since 1900 to win 20 for a club that lost 100 games. One won the pitching triple crown (Wins, ERA, SO's) that very year. One had his only 20 win season that very year.
Phil Niekro 1979 (I had to look it up since I threw it out there as a possibility)Nolan Ryan 1974Steve Carlton 1972Good question, but each pitcher won 20 games more than once. Maybe there is a fourth pitcher from the 50's who also did it?
Who are the 4 active players that are the current-franchise hits leader? This is the question for the Yankees/Mariners game, sorry to interrupt pitching question. mlb.tv will have the answer within the next inning or two.
pretty sure about Todd Helton and Carl Crawford, and Jeter. Ichiro?
I'll take the easy one....Steve CarltonAlso how about Nolan Ryan and one of either the Niekro or Perry Brothers?
Give 2.3 out of a possible 3.5 (adjusted for reasons made a little more clear below) points for that one :-)
Someone on sports radio was going over Carlton's numbers the other day, and they were looking at the records of the other pitchers on his team. I assume this was the 100 loss season, because everyone was like 4-15. It's hard to fathom someone can win 20+ on an awful team when you look at the year that Greinke has had, and Matt Cain in the past.I don't really have any other guesses though.
The Phillies "only" lost 97 games in 1972, so Carlton is not the guy, but he was such a stud that he won over 45% of his team's victories (27 wins for Lefty)
Phil Niekro 1979 (I had to look it up since I threw it out there as a possibility)Nolan Ryan 1974Steve Carlton 1972Good question, but each pitcher won 20 games more than once. Maybe there is a fourth pitcher from the 50's who also did it?
Two of these guys are correct, BUT the Braves were technically not last (ie: the Mets were the worst team with a .391 Win %; The Braves were .413) in the NL that year, so Niekro doesn't really "count", but I'll give you props for the divisional situation.The last guy is Ned Garver, who went 20-12 for the St. Louis Browns in 1951. The Browns lost 102 games that year.
Two of these guys are correct, BUT the Braves were technically not last (ie: the Mets were the worst team with a .391 Win %; The Braves were .413) in the NL that year, so Niekro doesn't really "count", but I'll give you props for the divisional situation.The last guy is Ned Garver, who went 20-12 for the St. Louis Browns in 1951. The Browns lost 102 games that year.
Lol, as the question was worded Carlton, Ryan, and Niekro did win 20 games for last place teams. I guess you meant worst teams in their league not last place teams.
Lol, as the question was worded Carlton, Ryan, and Niekro did win 20 games for last place teams. I guess you meant worst teams in their league not last place teams.
Misworded a bit, hence bonus points for finding Niekro

Switch hitters are fun. So much fun, there are lots of stats on them. Which, of course, leads to some trivia questions...These are all easy if you look them up, so we're working on the honor system here...to a point.How many switchers have hit homers from both sides if the plate in the same inning? Who?How many have hit a grand salami from both sides of the plate in the same game? Who?Who was the first player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in one game (1900 or later)?Who is the only switcher to do it 4 times in one season? Who are the two players to do it 3 times in a single season?Who is the only player to do it twice in the post-season AND who are the other two players who have done it once?Hint: Mickey Mantle is not the answer to any of these questions, although he is arguably the best switcher of all-time.

Switch hitters are fun. So much fun, there are lots of stats on them. Which, of course, leads to some trivia questions...These are all easy if you look them up, so we're working on the honor system here...to a point.How many switchers have hit homers from both sides if the plate in the same inning? Who?How many have hit a grand salami from both sides of the plate in the same game? Who?Who was the first player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in one game (1900 or later)?Who is the only switcher to do it 4 times in one season? Who are the two players to do it 3 times in a single season?Who is the only player to do it twice in the post-season AND who are the other two players who have done it once?Hint: Mickey Mantle is not the answer to any of these questions, although he is arguably the best switcher of all-time.
I don't know the answer but I will say that Carlos Guillen who was injured most of the season and came back and could only hit left did hit a HR from the left side last night and since they were up 9-1 he tried to hit from the right and took the first pitch yard.
I don't know the answer but I will say that Carlos Guillen who was injured most of the season and came back and could only hit left did hit a HR from the left side last night and since they were up 9-1 he tried to hit from the right and took the first pitch yard.
Really? Lol...that's a display!
Switch hitters are fun. So much fun, there are lots of stats on them. Which, of course, leads to some trivia questions...These are all easy if you look them up, so we're working on the honor system here...to a point.How many switchers have hit homers from both sides if the plate in the same inning? Who? Eddie MurrayHow many have hit a grand salami from both sides of the plate in the same game? Who? Eddie MurrayWho was the first player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in one game (1900 or later)? Eddie MurrayWho is the only switcher to do it 4 times in one season? Who are the two players to do it 3 times in a single season? Eddie MurrayWho is the only player to do it twice in the post-season AND who are the other two players who have done it once? Eddie MurrayHint: Mickey Mantle is not the answer to any of these questions, although he is arguably the best switcher of all-time.
He's gotta be one of them right?
Switch hitters are fun. So much fun, there are lots of stats on them. Which, of course, leads to some trivia questions...These are all easy if you look them up, so we're working on the honor system here...to a point.How many switchers have hit homers from both sides if the plate in the same inning? Who?How many have hit a grand salami from both sides of the plate in the same game? Who?Who was the first player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in one game (1900 or later)?Who is the only switcher to do it 4 times in one season? Who are the two players to do it 3 times in a single season?Who is the only player to do it twice in the post-season AND who are the other two players who have done it once? Bernie Williams or he has to be the answer to one of these Id guess?Hint: Mickey Mantle is not the answer to any of these questions, although he is arguably the best switcher of all-time.
Switch hitters are fun. So much fun, there are lots of stats on them. Which, of course, leads to some trivia questions...These are all easy if you look them up, so we're working on the honor system here...to a point.How many switchers have hit homers from both sides if the plate in the same inning? Who? Chipper JonesHow many have hit a grand salami from both sides of the plate in the same game? Who? Chipper JonesWho was the first player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in one game (1900 or later)? ... Who is the only switcher to do it 4 times in one season? Who are the two players to do it 3 times in a single season? ...Who is the only player to do it twice in the post-season AND who are the other two players who have done it once? ...Hint: Mickey Mantle is not the answer to any of these questions, although he is arguably the best switcher of all-time.
Not Chipper...The answers will require some research, if you like...Also, they are not all the same player. In fact, if I recall correctly, none of the answers are duped.
The answers you are looking for may not be the ones that answer the question.