• Replies 80.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CardWarfare

• gkunit20

• chrozzo

• pckt10s

HoF inductions dont really interest me. The HoF is watered down. They let too many players in, in my opinion. It doesnt mean what it should, at least to me anyway.
In basketball, football, and hockey they definitely let too many in. In baseball however I don't think they let enough deserving players. Ron Santo and Buck O'Neill should have been in 20 years ago. You almost have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do getting into the baseball HoF.
In basketball, football, and hockey they definitely let too many in. In baseball however I don't think they let enough deserving players. Ron Santo and Buck O'Neill should have been in 20 years ago. You almost have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do getting into the baseball HoF.
I dont know. Its just I see the stats of some of these HoFers and I am unimpresed. I dont see why a guy with .260 343HR 1,110rbis should have the same honor as Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. It ruins the whole honor of it.
I dont know. Its just I see the stats of some of these HoFers and I am unimpresed. I dont see why a guy with .260 343HR 1,110rbis should have the same honor as Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. It ruins the whole honor of it.
It depends on what else they done, and you need to also consider in what eras these guys played in. Comparing everyone to Ted Williams and Babe will do about 99.999999% of all players an injustice, because they were anomalies. Some guy with not so great offensive stats may have been a defensive god and won games with their gloves alone ala Bill Mazeroski and Ozzie Smith. Also consider that only within the last 20 years have all of the offensive heavy players come about.I think a large amount of today's population compares players solely on roto stats, which does no favor to players of yesteryear. Fantasy sports has brought about a new group of fans to the sport, but it has also clouded them to make them think that a player isn't worth jack because they didn't hit 50 HR's, or saved 45 games, or didn't have a OPS approaching 1.000. There are many more things to consider when comparing and ranking players than their roto numbers. Goose Gossage is a good example. He is another man who deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. However, a lot of the baseball writers today have never seen him play and want to compare him with the gaudy saves numbers that Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera have put up. What they don't take into account is the era in which he played. He played at a time in baseball when closers were brought in the 7th or 8th inning with 2 or 3 runners on base to close out a game. They worked for their saves back then. But today's sports writers don't see that. All that they see is that he has 310 saves and is ranked behind nothing special closers like John Wetteland, Troy Percival, and Roberto Hernandez and make decisions solely on these misguided perceptions.
It depends on what else they done, and you need to also consider in what eras these guys played in. Comparing everyone to Ted Williams and Babe will do about 99.999999% of all players an injustice, because they were anomalies. Some guy with not so great offensive stats may have been a defensive god and won games with their gloves alone ala Bill Mazeroski and Ozzie Smith. Also consider that only within the last 20 years have all of the offensive heavy players come about.I think a large amount of today's population compares players solely on roto stats, which does no favor to players of yesteryear. Fantasy sports has brought about a new group of fans to the sport, but it has also clouded them to make them think that a player isn't worth jack because they didn't hit 50 HR's, or saved 45 games, or didn't have a OPS approaching 1.000. There are many more things to consider about comparing and ranking players than their roto numbers. Goose Gossage is a good example. He is another man who deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. However, a lot of the baseball writers today have never seen him play and want to compare him with the gaudy saves numbers that Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera have put up. What they don't take into account is the era in which he played. He played at a time in baseball when closers were brought in the 7th or 8th inning with 2 or 3 runners on base to close out a game. They worked for their saves back then. But today's sports writers don't see that. All that they see is that he has 310 saves and is ranked behind nothing special closers like John Wetteland, Troy Percival, and Roberto Hernandez and make decisions solely on these misguided perceptions.
True. But I still think that too many people get in.
True. But I still think that too many people get in.
Considering that the baseball HoF votes roughly one player a year on average into the Hall I can't agree with this. However like I said earlier the other sports definitely vote too many players in.
Considering that the baseball HoF votes roughly one player a year on average into the Hall I can't agree with this. However like I said earlier the other sports definitely vote too many players in.
I think it ought to be one a year. Player with highest voting percentage over the required 75 gets in. And the required percentage ought to be up to about 85 or 90 even. I know that is pretty stupid, but if I were in charge, thats how it would be.

Back in IowaBig&Rich put on an amazing show. I hope they come near Iowa soon. Gretchen Wilson also put on a really good show and you can tell that these people can actually sing. Cowboy Troy was entertaining but he did like 5 songs and his background music was so loud you couldn't understand what he was saying.

i think the general attitude of the person being inducted and their demeanor on and off the firld with their fans, teammates and families should be a key ctrieria as wellin that case...Cal Ripken Jr. > Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb AINECGL telling that to the HOF board tho, lol

i think the general attitude of the person being inducted and their demeanor on and off the firld with their fans, teammates and families should be a key ctrieria as wellin that case...Cal Ripken Jr. > Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb AINECGL telling that to the HOF board tho, lol
See Im the opposite. I only care about on the field. mickey.jpgWe still love ya Mick.
I think it ought to be one a year. Player with highest voting percentage over the required 75 gets in. And the required percentage ought to be up to about 85 or 90 even. I know that is pretty stupid, but if I were in charge, thats how it would be.
If I was in charge I would completely take it out of the hands of the baseball writers. I would instead give it to current/former players and the broadcasters. These are the people that see everyone play on a daily basis. The baseball writers nowadays catch a watered down version of the games from Sports Center then make their decisions based on that. When the baseball writer rule was instituted the writers traveled with the team, and I mean literally with the team. Today they sit in their corner offices and act like they give a damn.
so he was you...plus baseball greatness?
i can catch a mean game (7 years ago), but alas..I lack the sexual bravada (when it comes to women, of course)and im not an alcoholic...I drink great beers, rememebr
i can catch a mean game (7 years ago), but alas..I lack the sexual bravada (when it comes to women, of course)and im not an alcoholic...I drink great beers, rememebr
If I could be any one baseball player, it would be the Mick.
i agree with that
are you saying you want to be the mick? Or you agree with me wanting to be the mick? Or are you mocking me, SO HELP ME, if you are mocking me...
are you saying you want to be the mick? Or you agree with me wanting to be the mick? Or are you mocking me, SO HELP ME, if you are mocking me...
i would be the mick, or if you were then id bang you jsut the same

so yesterday I helped my brother move... he now lives in some fancy apt. complex in downtown LA... you look out out and you see the Staples center, and the new entertainment center they are building... some hot chicks also live in the complex... so needless to say, I will be visiting quite often... baseball game today... threw at and hit a giant douchebag... it was fun...

so yesterday I helped my brother move... he now lives in some fancy apt. complex in downtown LA... you look out out and you see the Staples center, and the new entertainment center they are building... some hot chicks also live in the complex... so needless to say, I will be visiting quite often... baseball game today... threw at and hit a giant douchebag... it was fun...
hitting a giant douchebag is always +EV