what music are you guys listening to?

I'm not judging anyone here and I'm certainly guilty of ripping off some intellectual property, but illegally d/ling music is stealing. People can justify it in whatever way they want but it doesn't change that fact. It can't effectively be stopped in any real sense and the moral ambiguity is being blurred with every new torrent.
I believe they'll eventually realize how far their pricing scheme is from what the market says their product is worth. can you imagine spending $30k in itunes to fill up an entire ipod classic with legally-obtained music?funny side note. I've heard that artists can look at download totals on these torrent sites and multiply by retail price to get a number for lost sales, claim that as a deductible in their taxes.
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

I was thinking the other day about how TV channels are combating illegal downloads by having Hulu - high quality legal shows that you don't have to upload back into a community. I wonder if something like that could work for the music industry. I don't know how it would work, but letting people download the CD quality full length tracks and making the money through advertising. Maybe you would have to watch a 30 second ad for each song you download. I think a lot of people would go for it.

You know what would be awesome? If MK would contribute a brief instrumental track to the mix.
are you trying to steal beats from me? i copyright that shiz negro
so uh hey guys you remember that spring mix we were working on? think we could get on that? I've got a road trip coming up on sunday and I ****ING NEED IT man.
there is zero chance i can get it done before sunday, i'm sorry.
I don't think it is stealing. Stealing involves zero-sum scenarios. There is no actual victim who has lost anything, except maybe in the sense of intellectual property, or theoretical album sales. But it's not really a theft of intellectual property because the supposed thief is not trying to profit, and there is about a 99.8% chance that whatever songs were "stolen" are also available legally on youtube, myspace, etc. Also the radio and tv and the music collections of my friends, roommates, and associates. But again as far as intellectual property, if I waltz into a bookstore and steal a copy of Tom Robbins' new book and then read it I've definitely committed a theft, but not against the intellectual property rights of Tom Robbins. I'm not sure why I'm waltzing though. Anyways my point is that with p2p there is no book being stolen from a store, as it were, so there is no real theft. Not to mention the intellectual property rights of dead people.As far as theoretical album sales, well that is maybe a moral problem, I dunno. Theoretical sales are, of course, just theoretical.
I SAID I WASN'T JUDGING ANYONE! Don't be throwing around those heavy math terms like zero-sum on me and stop clouding my mind with the excitement of a new TR's book. You make a good argument but you're justification is for your personal benefit and you're not owning up to the fact that you're stealing music. Own that shit dude. If I d/l the B is for Beer audio book from a torrent site, it's exactly like stealing the book from store. The modus operandi is different but it's still theft. This isn't even close. Holy shit, I'm way too excited about the new TR's book and just spent 20 minutes trying to find other books so I could qualify for the free super savers shipping. such a scamStratagy's right, it's expensive to buy music.LG's right, the music industry needs to adjust to the market. I'm looking forward to stealing Vinyl Equinox bitches.

My second song for VINYL EQUINOX:The Zombies- "Time of the Season"Still waiting for the contributions of a few: LLY, Ron, lvpro, others?

My second song for VINYL EQUINOX:The Zombies- "Time of the Season"Still waiting for the contributions of a few: LLY, Ron, lvpro, others?
Working on it. Today or tomorrow.
I haven't been able to spend as much time thinking about it as I'd like to, but so far I like the idea of "Parakit" by Suburban Kids with Biblical Names.
I definitely think mike should submit a track. my suggestion: bonneville - your beats move my heart
awwi mean i have like a billion things sitting around unused that i could contribute. i'll sift through and try to find something spring-like.do you guys want something really really faggy or something just a little faggy?
awwi mean i have like a billion things sitting around unused that i could contribute. i'll sift through and try to find something spring-like.do you guys want something really really faggy or something just a little faggy?
Do you really have to ask? I mean, seriously. I want to be driving in a car with a woman and then think I have to pretend I don't know the guy who wrote/performed the track being played if I want to get good-night-laid, but instead say, "That's my boy! Fag it up! (makes "stacking money" gesture with hands while steering with knees)"Do you have anything like that?
Yeah, I'm pretty much the only guy I know who still buys cd's. I do it for several reasons. First, I enjoy shopping for cd's. I enjoy the actual act of going into a music store, ruffling through shelves and such, having to hunt a bit to find the more obscure albums, seeing what's on sale, etc etc.Second, I enjoy knowing that I physically own something. Music is a big part of my life and is very important to me. It would feel weird to me if something that central to my life was a bunch of 0's and 1's on my computer (okay, I understand that I'm just replacing one set of 0's and 1's in a computer for another burned onto a cd, but ignore that point for now). OF course I do rip my cd's onto my computer, but if for some reason I ever lose my computer or my backup dies, I still have cd's physically sitting somewhere.Third, they come with liner notes and cool art (sometimes). More importantly, this allows me to use them as decoration. I can have a shelf full of cd's and show off to people how great my taste in music is. I can have rotation groups of cd's displayed (as in top ten lists, favorite 80's cd's, all Radiohead, etc, etc). It's a good way to start conversation.Lastly, it ensures that I pay for music. I think that anyone who doesn't pay is doing a horrible disservice to the artists that they respect and love. In the Kantian sense, we have a categorical imperative to pay for our music.
I love this post.The rest of this thread may as well be in chinese.

the passion pit full length comes out may 19th i think but it's probably already leaked. i've heard a couple songs and i dig it. sounds a lot like cut copy, but that's ok by me.

VINYL EQUINOX so far:Paul Simon - "Mother & Child Reunion"Spoon - "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb"Panda Bear- "Bros"Plants and Animals- "Mercy"Atmosphere - "Sunshine" (from Sad Clown Bad Summer 9)David Garza - "Lost" Sufjan Stevens- "Chicago"Feist - Gatekeeper or Secret Heart (compilers discretion)Mary Poppins OST - Lets Go Fly a Kite (I can provide this, but it is also available for dl on torrent sites)The Zombies- "Time of the Season"Belle and Sebastian - Another Sunny Day (The Life Pursuit)Architecture in Helsinki - Wishbone (In Case We Die)Beirut- Elephant GunLittle People- Unsaid
dont think i missed any of them yet. bear, lady, kg, sal, yorke, mk, and I have all contributed two songs.dutch, logan, anyone else?
dont think i missed any of them yet. bear, lady, kg, sal, yorke, mk, and I have all contributed two songs.dutch, logan, anyone else?
i submitted Gandharvas - First Day of Spring but haven't thought about a second one yet
I tossed in "Parakit" by Suburban Kids with Biblical Names. Not really in the mindset to come up with a second one right now, but if anything strikes I'll be certain to post.