• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

Death Cab EP is actually pretty good. I didn't like their last album but this stuff is better. It's meatier. I don't know how else to explain it. Lots of reverby guitar fills and some sharp beats thrown in.

GZA - Shadowboxin', Killah Hills 10304Ghostface - 9 Milli Bros, Whip You With A Strap (J Dilla)RZA - N.Y.C. EverythingRaekwon - KnuckleheadzBig L (is so fucking good)Janis JoplinKillah PriestNasSonny RollinsDigable PlanetsA tech nine is my utensilFillin niggas with so much lead they can use they dick for a pencilIm known for snatchin purses and bombin churchesI get more pussy by accident than most niggas get on purposeI got drug spots from new york to canadaCause big L be fuckin with more keys than a janitor

I don't remember if I mentioned this here, but the new deathcab EP is nice. more and more often these days I'm finding nose hairs that have to be trimmed. thankfully I am no more bald than I was a few years ago.
just wait until you start trimming the hair on your ears.

We got a late start on Albumn, which meant we kinda had to skip Winter.But I do believe it is time for Spring.LG/Strat: your job is to come up with a title, since the Fall collection's title was fantastically dominant.I am kicking things off with my first of two selections:Panda Bear- "Bros" (Person Pitch)

We got a late start on Albumn, which meant we kinda had to skip Winter.But I do believe it is time for Spring.LG/Strat: your job is to come up with a title, since the Fall collection's title was fantastically dominant.I am kicking things off with my first of two selections:Panda Bear- "Bros" (Person Pitch)
Sufjan Stevens- "Chicago" (Illinois)Because the song is awesome and I can't think of any other city where I'd rather be than Chicago on a beautiful Spring day.

yes... spring... I think I like spring... I think I like spring a LOT!I'm cutting my grass on saturday. I'll fill up the ipod with a bunch of possibilities, listen to it for a couple hours while outside in the sun, and then report back. gotta warn ya though, probably gonna be an atmosphere song. actually, I think I already know the song. let me not get ahead of myself here.

yes... spring... I think I like spring... I think I like spring a LOT!I'm cutting my grass on saturday. I'll fill up the ipod with a bunch of possibilities, listen to it for a couple hours while outside in the sun, and then report back. gotta warn ya though, probably gonna be an atmosphere song. actually, I think I already know the song. let me not get ahead of myself here.
My prediction:"Yesterday" from When Life Gives You Lemons...(also was my ring tone for a spell. That piano part is catchy. Like the herp.)
My prediction:"Yesterday" from When Life Gives You Lemons...(also was my ring tone for a spell. That piano part is catchy. Like the herp.)
actually one quite similar, but that would be good. the one I'm thinking of is off of one of the sad clowns and I can't remember which one. I'll have to play through all the ones I have. OH DARN.

I am really struggling for my Song 2. (I briefly considered just giving up and using Blur's "Song 2," but decided against it, because I was never as big of a Blur fan as I felt I should have been, and there is shame.)I have it narrowed down to the following:Plants and Animals- "Bye, Bye, Bye" or "Mercy"Arcade Fire- "No Cars Go."A handful of appropriate and awesome Animal Collective songs I am considering shoving down your throats, especially you MK because, contrary to your previously expressed sentiments, they are, indeed, FLIPPIN RAD.Caribou- "Bees" and pretty much every single song on Andorra. Wilco- "Outtamind (Outtasight)"Ghostface Killah- "Nutmeg" (Note: I just cut this; this is more a summer song, I think)A Unicorns or Islands SongAnd some more than I can't remember at the moment. Does that even count as having it "narrowed down?"

my tentative spring mix picksbeirut- elephant guncunninlynguists- gun (ft. sheisty kreist)curtis mayfield- move on up (this should really be the first song on any mix but i understand if you guys arent down.)amon tobin- untitled (ft. kid koala)lee perry- jungle lionlittle people- start shootin'madlib- enter...hot currywangbear, howsabout we create a wu-tang essentials mix (doubledisc) since no other mix can handle all that is the wu. (solo stuff included)36 chambers- c.r.e.a.m., tearz, 7th chamber part 2wu-tang forever- reunited, triumph, impossibleliquid swords- liquid swords, 4th chamberob4cl- ice cream, wu-gambinos (remix), criminologyironman- 260, assasination day, winter warzsupreme clientele- nutmeg, onepretty toney album- runfishscale- 9 milli bros, raguyou take disc 2?

so we can have two songs? we gotta have two songs. we can have two songs right?also, are we gonna commit now to doing a summer one in like late may or something? cause spring songs and summer songs kinda intertwine, and I got a good one I'd want to use in a summer mix, but if we aren't going to to it I'd want to use it now. I should probably try to make this even more complicated huh.

CD's I bought today:Various Artists - Dark Was the NightViolent Femmes - Violent FemmesLou Reed - TransformerYeah Yeah Yeahs - It's BlitzThe Decemberists - The Hazards of LoveUNKLE - Psyence FictionThe Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own HoleThoughts, comments?

Thoughts, comments?
i listened to psyence fiction nonstop for at least two years. i've probably given more listens lifetime to lonely soul than any other song.
CD's I bought today:Lou Reed - TransformerThoughts, comments?
First of all, why are you still buying CDs? Second of all, if you like that album you should buy Coney Island Baby. Transformer is a fantastic album - dunno how much Lou Reed you know. I think I love Transformer and Coney Island Baby equally, as the best of his solo albums.
GZA - Shadowboxin', Killah Hills 10304Ghostface - 9 Milli Bros, Whip You With A Strap (J Dilla)RZA - N.Y.C. EverythingRaekwon - Knuckleheadz
wangbear, howsabout we create a wu-tang essentials mix (doubledisc) since no other mix can handle all that is the wu. (solo stuff included)36 chambers- c.r.e.a.m., tearz, 7th chamber part 2wu-tang forever- reunited, triumph, impossibleliquid swords- liquid swords, 4th chamberob4cl- ice cream, wu-gambinos (remix), criminologyironman- 260, assasination day, winter warzsupreme clientele- nutmeg, onepretty toney album- runfishscale- 9 milli bros, raguyou take disc 2?
:club:

new hold steady live album out. just starting to listen to it but I have no doubt that it is the greatest thing ever.oh, and in that same vain, anybody who likes hip hop needs to get sad clown bad whatever 13. it's a live album and it's just plain ridiculous.

First of all, why are you still buying CDs?
Yeah, I'm pretty much the only guy I know who still buys cd's. I do it for several reasons. First, I enjoy shopping for cd's. I enjoy the actual act of going into a music store, ruffling through shelves and such, having to hunt a bit to find the more obscure albums, seeing what's on sale, etc etc.Second, I enjoy knowing that I physically own something. Music is a big part of my life and is very important to me. It would feel weird to me if something that central to my life was a bunch of 0's and 1's on my computer (okay, I understand that I'm just replacing one set of 0's and 1's in a computer for another burned onto a cd, but ignore that point for now). OF course I do rip my cd's onto my computer, but if for some reason I ever lose my computer or my backup dies, I still have cd's physically sitting somewhere.Third, they come with liner notes and cool art (sometimes). More importantly, this allows me to use them as decoration. I can have a shelf full of cd's and show off to people how great my taste in music is. I can have rotation groups of cd's displayed (as in top ten lists, favorite 80's cd's, all Radiohead, etc, etc). It's a good way to start conversation.Lastly, it ensures that I pay for music. I think that anyone who doesn't pay is doing a horrible disservice to the artists that they respect and love. In the Kantian sense, we have a categorical imperative to pay for our music.
Lastly, it ensures that I pay for music. I think that anyone who doesn't pay is doing a horrible disservice to the artists that they respect and love. In the Kantian sense, we have a categorical imperative to pay for our music.
The first few points I understand. This last one I disagree with. First of all, of course you can download anything you can buy in a store from itunes and certainly pay for it, but that's not your main point. The part I disagree with is the categorical imperative to pay for our music. To be honest I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the issue, but I know I disagree with the previous statement. Basically, the music industry is no longer selling a desirable product. As a consumer, this is not my fault. They have been raping artists and consumers for years with ridiculous contracts and prices (respectively), so it's really their own fault nobody wants cds anymore. I'm sorry but being a great musician is ridiculously inexpensive. Most of the cds sold in stores are by bands and artists who are already ridiculously wealthy, or are long dead. Before you argue that their ridiculous wealth came from album sales, I would point out that album sales comprise a relatively small amount of income compared to tours, soundtracks, merchandise, etc. Then in the middle you have the bands and artists who I'm not sure about, and about whom I should perhaps feel guilty.Then on the bottom you have bands who are almost completely unknown, but now thanks to the ability to freely share music, potentially millions of people can hear them (if they are good). Of course there's no way really to hold back music from artists who don't want their music shared freely, but again they will just have to adapt. If their answer to dropping album sales is to drop being a musician, they probably weren't a very good artist. Pretending you were old enough (or imagining that you'd had the adult-like morals of Lisa Simpson), would you have been all up in arms about hip hop mixtapes in the 80s and 90s? Honestly a lot of people who download music illegally leave comments saying that because it's such a great album they will now go pay for it, and urge everybody else to do the same. I go to used record shops and buy albums by artists who I never would have known. So, the artists doesn't get a buck, but the independent store owner does, which is probably better than the giant consumer chains where most cds are sold, right? If you think the artist is getting $14.99, well he isn't. So boo hoo that the artists no longer need record labels or cd manufacturers to distribute their music for them? Not so much. So, let's say I had a copy of Axis: Bold as Love on cassette tape. I used to rock it, but after awhile it wore out and then cassettes just went away. Then I found an awesome copy of it on vinyl and bought that and used to rock it, but one summer it got damaged along with a whole box of other records. Then my old roommate had it on cd and I used to rock it, but then I moved out. I know all the songs by heart. A lot of them are on the radio. Oh cool, here it is free online! But wait, it's stealing! Oh wait, no it isn't, stealing is when you take something which does not belong to you. I am just making a copy of my anonymous friends' copy of it. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not stealing. Stealing involves zero-sum scenarios. Anyways, I already 'own' the songs in the sense that I totally know them, I've previously even paid for them, and wait, Jimi Hendrix died 40 years ago. Who am I supporting, his nephews' children? That's just one rambling example of gray areas. P.S. Lou Reed?