saw the 2005 results thread.....good story.

I really have to make my own thread for 2005 results because I have a wacky story that I have been dying to share but as you will see I had a good reason to wait a few months to tell you all.My profit for the year:+8750 online+300 live (i didnt get to play much live this year....very disappointing.)However, those numbers are VERY deceiving. I had a terrible start to the year. Lost about 7000 bucks online between January 2005 and August 2005. Switched to Full Tilt and went on a huuuge rush turning a very small amount (around 300 bucks) into 10 grand in less than two months. Cashed out 8000 dollars....left 2000 in to be my bankroll. I have 2270 in my full tilt acct. at present.So how am I up so much online you ask? Well, I am glad you asked.Party Poker, in their infinite wisdom, sent me a check in error for $7475. It had my name and address on the Fedex envelope. It had my name on the check. Except I never ever cashed out that kinda cash from Party. So of course I cashed out the check as quickly as humanly possible. Crazy, no??? Free money, what a concept.Of course they eventually realized their error. I had 475 dollars left in my Party account and I played a 6 dollar SNG which should have left me with 469 bucks in my account. However, after losing in the SNG I checked my account balance and saw that it read 0.00 Hmmm. I called them to ask what the deal was and they obviously said they confiscated the funds because I cashed a check that wasnt really mine.I played coy....and their support guy started telling me that I had to pay the rest of the money back and they could put me on a payment plan if need be and all this other nonsense. I never admitted to anything explicitly obviously and it got pretty heated on the phone. I finally told the guy off and said if what you say is true then you guys screwed up, not my fault, and you (partypoker) only compounded your error by just arbitrarily confiscating 469 dollars from me before even contacting me.He told me he was forwarding my case to the collections team and I hung up. I immediately went to a lawyer at the law firm where I work and asked for his advice.Luckily, they made a supreme mistake by confiscating the money from my account. Since the check they sent me in error had my name on it, I really didnt do anything wrong. Perhaps a truly saintly person would have returned it but there is still no law in this country against cashing a check with your name on it.However, what they did is theft no matter what their justification. Beautiful I thought. Even better, the lawyer informed me that it would cost them WAY more money to bring successful legal action against me than the amount they sent me in error. Phew.It is now 3 months later and I have not heard a peep from party poker. I now feel I am officially in the clear and can share this ridiculous story with the forum.I realize there will be people on here who will say I was unethical/morally bankrupt/a doucheclown/whatever. I can live with that....I dont feel like it is my job to correct other people's mistakes and I certainly am not in the turning down free money business.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only unethical thing that I can't figure out is... why didn't you withdraw the money you had in there immediately? Hell, have them send a check... maybe they'd mess up again!

the only unethical thing that I can't figure out is... why didn't you withdraw the money you had in there immediately? Hell, have them send a check... maybe they'd mess up again!
I withdrew about 1300 bucks the day after I got the mistake check.I didnt want to take out EVERYTHING....so as to not arouse suspicion. I am pretty sure I just outthought myself on that one but whatever 7000 bucks for free is still so sweet. I cant wait to spend it....pass the sugah!

That's an awesome story. Anybody who tells you they wouldn't do exactly what you did is flat out lying. I wish I could be so lucky.

Great story man. If I got a check from any poker site, or any body, with my name on it for that amount, I'd also cash it as soon as possible. And, your lawyer was exactly right. You did nothing wrong, and PP may be at fault for taking your money away from you.Excellent story though. Thanks for sharing.

That's an awesome story. Anybody who tells you they wouldn't do exactly what you did is flat out lying. I wish I could be so lucky.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, there's no way I would have cashed that check.Good read though CaneBrain.
I have always maintained that I am both a good (not great) poker player and a total luckbox. Things like this just seem to happen to me. It is just a matter of time until I win a satellite into a WPT event or something and ride an embarrassingly hot wave of cards to the final table. I honestly believe this.That is probably an annoying self-assessment but it is just the way it is.

i woould never do this ever. i mean man you have alot to learn anout human kind respect for one another. somethng like this happened to me once during my freshman year at college. during my first semester i banked at a local bank but i was going to school about fours away and it was hard to get money if i needed it for anything like books or fees and my parents couldnt get me money if i needed anything. so i open a personel account and one with my mom(so she can deposit money if i need it or whatever.) at bigger bank with branches all over the state. i put so money in my perwsonel account but never used it, then i come home for christmas break and i go to withdraw some to buy a christmas present for my girlfriend and by acount balance was 12,800. i knew i only had about 400 in there. at first i was like man this is awesome then i thought man the just made an honest mistake. my mom works at a bank(the one i used to bank t) so i asked her about and she that they do credit money to the wrong account sometimes. she she i should go ask them about it. so i go to the customer service desk and tell the lady what happened and she looked at printout of my account history and said it looks like you returned a purchase at some farm equipment store. i ve never even been in a farm equipment store and she tells she will look into and call me. about two months go by and she never calls i go back up there talk to her again and she says she cant remeber the situationMy mom is with me this time and he asks if we came speak to whoever it is that is in charge i forget now but we eventually talk to her and get it straighted out. the think is the guy who was supposed to get the money is some multimillionere farmer who would have never known.and trust me my parents didnt have alot of money of anything and i was a poor poor college student but i could never just take the money.It would be alot different if someone happened to get your money by accident or someone got hold of your by accident you really appreciate them returning it.i do agree what party did was wrong taking your maney but you actually sound happy about taking someone elses money from an honest mistake.And i cant believe so many people agreed with you this is really suprisng the view on life some people have.

i woould never do this ever. i mean man you have alot to learn anout human kind respect for one another. somethng like this happened to me once during my freshman year at college. during my first semester i banked at a local bank but i was going to school about fours away and it was hard to get money if i needed it for anything like books or fees and my parents couldnt get me money if i needed anything. so i open a personel account and one with my mom(so she can deposit money if i need it or whatever.) at bigger bank with branches all over the state. i put so money in my perwsonel account but never used it, then i come home for christmas break and i go to withdraw some to buy a christmas present for my girlfriend and by acount balance was 12,800. i knew i only had about 400 in there. at first i was like man this is awesome then i thought man the just made an honest mistake. my mom works at a bank(the one i used to bank t) so i asked her about and she that they do credit money to the wrong account sometimes. she she i should go ask them about it. so i go to the customer service desk and tell the lady what happened and she looked at printout of my account history and said it looks like you returned a purchase at some farm equipment store. i ve never even been in a farm equipment store and she tells she will look into and call me. about two months go by and she never calls i go back up there talk to her again and she says she cant remeber the situationMy mom is with me this time and he asks if we came speak to whoever it is that is in charge i forget now but we eventually talk to her and get it straighted out. the think is the guy who was supposed to get the money is some multimillionere farmer who would have never known.and trust me my parents didnt have alot of money of anything and i was a poor poor college student but i could never just take the money.It would be alot different if someone happened to get your money by accident or someone got hold of your by accident you really appreciate them returning it.i do agree what party did was wrong taking your maney but you actually sound happy about taking someone elses money from an honest mistake.And i cant believe so many people agreed with you this is really suprisng the view on life some people have.
Thats fine that you feel that way. I dont feel I have anything to learn about respect for human kind though. Your story involves you getting money that rightfully belonged to someone else. My story involves me getting 7475 dollars from a company that makes millions and millions a year. I didnt put an ounce of effort into defrauding them. They sent me a check with my name on it in a Fedex envelope with my name and address on it. Their loss. I have no doubts that whoever was supposed to get that check did get their money. They have to otherwise Party would be in deep trouble. I must admit that I really am happy to take Party Poker's money. If I was taking it from an individual I would probably feel remorse. In the interest of full disclosure, my parents are very well off and I didnt need the money at all. I wanted it. I say this because I dont want to lie or pretend like I have something to hide. I admitted up front there would be plenty of people who would say that I was very wrong to keep the money. I can live with that.As far as I am concerned, I am a law-abider. What I did breaks no laws. For me the moral conundrum ends there. It is not my job to correct a giant corporation's mistakes, especially a soulless one that goes out of its way to get every last dime from gambling addicts. (introducing blackjack was an inspired touch on their part.)If I took some fellow poker player's money I would have returned it. But whoever did cash out that check got their money. I respect your position but dont think you are going to make me feel any shame about this.
Just make sure you don't spend it all....gotta have some left for bail money!!
People who say I was wrong to take the money I can respect. You are just a schmuck. You dont go to jail for cashing a check with your name on it. If in the unlikely event PartyPoker pursued legal action against me, it would be a civil matter not a criminal one.Who lets these clowns in here???
You're a very nice and honest person. However, I bet that deep inside, you are very very pissed at yourself for being 12,000 poorer than u should be. This is why you probably look for every opportunity you can find that allows you to tell this story. It makes you feel a little better about yourself, and it helps soothe the pain that you have burried inside of you. It also makes you feel good to make other people feel like sh*t, for taking free money, from a company who has probably done 100 times more unethical sh*t in order to get where they are now.Id take the 7k in a heart beat. NH GG and WP Cane, you are one lucky dude.
im fine with you taking the money but i dont see how you can count it as poker profits.
Ok that is fair Don. You can remove 7475 from my online poker profits total if you wish. The point of this post was to tell the story not discuss my poker results from 2005. 8)Edit: I did also say my poker profit totals were VERY deceiving! Hehe. It is late here in beautiful Florida so I am going to get some sleep. I am very interested to see where this thread goes....I anticipate it will be a long one.
im fine with you taking the money but i dont see how you can count it as poker profits.
Ok that is fair Don. You can remove 7475 from my online poker profits total if you wish. The point of this post was to tell the story not discuss my poker results from 2005. 8)Edit: I did also say my poker profit totals were VERY deceiving! Hehe. It is late here in beautiful Florida so I am going to get some sleep. I am very interested to see where this thread goes....I anticipate it will be a long one.
file it under "sticking it to the man" profits.
i woould never do this ever. i mean man you have alot to learn anout human kind respect for one another.
One day, many years ago, a stranger came to my village. He went only by the name "Outsider." He stayed at the local inn and would come out only at night, wearing the same dusty black trenchcoat and low-brimmed hat each time.Soon after he arrived terrible hardship fell upon the nearby families. Crops faltered, oxen fell, horrible storms swept the land. The livelihood of the area was squelched like a flame with no air.One night at the dinner table my father spoke of the Outsider. He had grown weary of his negative influence on our land and vowed to drive him about his way.Later that evening the Outsider left the inn for his nightly walk through the nearby brush. My father and a few of the elder males from the other local families followed him, intending to catch him in whatever unholy practice he took up come nightfall.They followed him to the edge of a small nearby forest. He took a sharp glance to his left, then to his right. He reached a mighty step over a bush, into the dark forest. My father's group waited a few moments to allow the Outsider to pass further into the foliage. Then one by one they followed him into the gloom.A few minutes passed before they came upon the Outsider, kneeling in front of a strange light. One of the men grew infirm and shouted out to the stranger. Startled, he nearly lost his balance as he turned to view his unwanted visitors."Stand," bellowed my father, "let us view what it is you have tended to these dark days." The Outsider hesitated, clearly conflicted by his unexpected situation. "You're better off without the burden of knowledge," crackled the voice of the Outsider, "this must be a matter I attend to alone."A headstrong man, this did little to dissuade my father. He barged his way into the clearing where the Outsider stood and pushed the stranger aside. What he saw turned his hair ivory white and aged his skin twenty years beyond its time.There, sitting perched on a short, rotted tree stump was a small, flickering television set, the origin of its power a mystery to this day. What came from the television has haunted my homeland ever since.My father is a changed man since his experience in the forest. He will no longer venture beyond our house's walls at any time of the day. He never speaks of what he saw that night but if you walk alone at night you can still hear a moanful melody across the unlit plains:... "oooooooooooh Party Poker" ...And that is why this fellow was right to cash this check.

hmm Partypsux sounds like i struck a nerve sorry for doing that, sounds like your pissed it didnt happen to you, sorry. this is the first time ive ever told anyone aoutside my family and friends. read his post and honestly almost didnt post my story. then i saw people actually telly him way to go wish it happened to me. Hope i never play a live game with and accidently drop any chips on the floor close to you cause you pocket those babies in a heartbeat. your probably the kind of angle shooting bastard that keeps people wary of poker players but dam i would be wary of you too telling him good game and nice play. he knows it was wrong to just take the money. he knows it was wrong cause cashed it as soon as it could and then cashed out his pary account if didnt think it was wrong he woulndt have done these things. He tried to cahs before it got a stop put on it. there is no way anyone can justify taking the money. I t doenst matter if it was from a poker website or from a church it wasnt your money. sure it may not be illegal but isure is hell isnt ethical. and really says something about his character and yours. no telling wha you do for money if someone wasnt looking. i mean he even says he didnt need the money. people that really need money sometimes get thier of ethical decisions skewed abit (maurce clarrett robing someone at gunpoint). He took it because he wanted it which is very interesting to me. i mean its just money. I play poker because its very fun and exciting and i do want to win money but i have agreat job(doenst mean i wouldnt love to play poker full time) and outside of owning my home money just doenst mean as much to me that ill try my best take any money accidently sent to me by an honest mistake. Im not saying i hate the guy for doing it or anything its just not the right thing to do anyone with good judgement would tell you that.the reason I started coming to this website is because i thought daniel is a class act(which he is and seems to be a very ethical person) and that would attract the same kind of crowd. I love the joking around that goes on here and the flaming of oneanother but i was kind of distured not that someone would do this but that person after person would congradulate him. must be just me.

hmm Partypsux sounds like i struck a nerve sorry for doing that, sounds like your censored it didnt happen to you, sorry.  this is the first time ive ever told anyone aoutside my family and friends.  read his post and honestly almost didnt post my story.   then i saw people actually telly him way to go wish it happened to me.  Hope i never play a live game with and accidently drop any chips on the floor close to you cause you pocket those babies in a heartbeat.  your probably the kind of angle shooting censored that keeps people wary of poker players but dam i would be wary of you too telling him good game and nice play.  he knows it was wrong to just take the money. he knows it was wrong cause cashed it as soon as it could and then cashed out his pary account if didnt think it was wrong he woulndt have done these things.  He tried to cahs before it got a stop put on it.  there is no way anyone can justify taking the  money.  I t doenst matter if it was from a poker website or from a church it wasnt your money.  sure it may not be illegal but isure is hell isnt ethical.  and really says something about his character and yours.  no telling wha you do for money if someone wasnt looking.  i mean he even says he didnt need the money.  people that really need money sometimes get thier of ethical decisions skewed abit (maurce clarrett robing someone at gunpoint).  He took it because he wanted it which is very interesting to me.  i mean its just money.  I play poker because its very fun and exciting and i do want to win money but i have agreat job(doenst mean i wouldnt love to play poker full time) and outside of owning my home money just doenst mean as much to me that ill try my best take any money accidently sent to me by an honest mistake.  Im not saying i hate the guy for doing it or anything its just not the right thing to do anyone with good judgement would tell you that.the reason I started coming to this website is because i thought daniel is a class act(which he is and seems to be a very ethical person) and that would attract the same kind of crowd.  I love the joking around that goes on here and the flaming of oneanother but i was kind of distured not that someone would do this but that person after person would congradulate him.  must be just me.
i bet you suck at poker.
hmm Partypsux sounds like i struck a nerve sorry for doing that, sounds like your censored it didnt happen to you, sorry.  this is the first time ive ever told anyone aoutside my family and friends.  read his post and honestly almost didnt post my story.   then i saw people actually telly him way to go wish it happened to me.  Hope i never play a live game with and accidently drop any chips on the floor close to you cause you pocket those babies in a heartbeat.  your probably the kind of angle shooting censored that keeps people wary of poker players but dam i would be wary of you too telling him good game and nice play.  he knows it was wrong to just take the money. he knows it was wrong cause cashed it as soon as it could and then cashed out his pary account if didnt think it was wrong he woulndt have done these things.  He tried to cahs before it got a stop put on it.  there is no way anyone can justify taking the  money.  I t doenst matter if it was from a poker website or from a church it wasnt your money.  sure it may not be illegal but isure is hell isnt ethical.  and really says something about his character and yours.  no telling wha you do for money if someone wasnt looking.  i mean he even says he didnt need the money.  people that really need money sometimes get thier of ethical decisions skewed abit (maurce clarrett robing someone at gunpoint).  He took it because he wanted it which is very interesting to me.  i mean its just money.  I play poker because its very fun and exciting and i do want to win money but i have agreat job(doenst mean i wouldnt love to play poker full time) and outside of owning my home money just doenst mean as much to me that ill try my best take any money accidently sent to me by an honest mistake.  Im not saying i hate the guy for doing it or anything its just not the right thing to do anyone with good judgement would tell you that.the reason I started coming to this website is because i thought daniel is a class act(which he is and seems to be a very ethical person) and that would attract the same kind of crowd.  I love the joking around that goes on here and the flaming of oneanother but i was kind of distured not that someone would do this but that person after person would congradulate him.  must be just me.
I hope your great job doesnt involve writing anything down. Maybe you should have spent more time studying and less time worrying about those poor people at the bank, while you were in school. oh, and by the way, your pal danny, he makes his living by exploiting peoples honest mistakes.

no my job involves putting people to sleep and waking them up after surgery.and honest mistake and playing poler are two differnt things. I hope to think daniel would think the same thing and if he didnt it wouldnt mean i didnt like him. like i said earlier its not think i dont like the op its justed his judgement is a little clouded along with some of these other posters. this is just my fellings about the situation

I don't blame you for taking the money, us Florida poker players have to grind it out to build a bankroll!