barry greenstein being arrogant in the wcoop

Barry: Only a natural card player can hack it in the big game, and the best anyone can do strictly by the book is 80-160. That does seem pretty arrogant.Question to Barry: "is there anyone on the online circuit who could make it in the big game?"Barry: NoHe doesnt even leave the door open as a possibilitycomment to Barry: I'm sure there must be players with the ability to make the big game one day.Barry's response: haven't seen it. No way for tournament players to achieve it....can't get good unless you have good opposition.This point does make sense, but he doesnt leave room for any possibility. Although past evidence does support this conclusion.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is right and he has the right to be arrogant. You know why? Because he is Barry Greenstein and he plays in the Big Game with THE best players in the world and makes money. ALOT of money. This achievement is WAY WAY WAY better than winning some poker tournaments. There is NOONE in the online circuit who can play all the games they play in the big game at the highest level possible, which is what he can do. Barry Greenstein is one of the greatest players of all time, flat out, no question. He can be a little arrogant if he wants to. I bet if you ask Doyle Brunson those questions he will say the exact same things.

Explanation:There is NO way that, right now, the best online player in the world could play the big game. This is no matter how good he is at the biggest online cash game. He can't succeed in the Big Game for the same reason a good 2/4 player can't succeed at 20/40. It's an amazingly different game. Sure, he can keep working up the limits and hope, one day, to reach the Big Game, but it's not going to happen immediately.I don't even think a by the book player can beat 80/160. I think Barry's being very generous with that statement. I think it's quite possible that a by the book player would have trouble beating 50/100 or 40/80 (though I have nothing to back that up).In regards to tournament players, he's absolutely right. This shouldn't need an explanation.

I personally like Barry, and I loved his book. In addition, I have a lot of respect for him as a poker player. Most pros don't take the time to talk to anyone on the rail. He has the perfect temperment for a poker player. The man never seems to lose his cool.He does come across as being arrogant, and that's because he is. But he is one of the few people that can actually back up the things he says with what he does, and results. Instead of finding flaws in Barry, I would try and figure out ways to emulate him. You might become a better player. Good Luck.

When you can back up what you say, I guess you have a right to be arrogant. Confidence is a neccessary trait to being a winning player, if you don't think your going to win everytime you play, why are you playing? I mean obviously you don't end up winning all the time, but your mindset going in should be that you will win and play well.

Barry Greenstein has the right to say what what he wants to. When it comes to poker he has the game to backup what he says, and I do agree with whath e says. The best online poker player can't hack it with the big boys and win. Doyle would probably say the samething except for that fact that he has dolyesroom.com and promotes internet play because it fills his pocket with dollars. I do remember him saying something about Robert Varkonyi at the 2003 WSOP. Doyle had played with Varkonyi at the feature table on day one and was put out, and ESPN asked him if he thought Varkonyi could repeat. Dolye said something along the lines of "I don't know how he won last year, he had to get extremely lucky. There is no way he will win this year, he's an amatuer." Don't qoute me word for word on that, but it is very close to what he said. I am positive Varkonyi wasn't an internet player before that, but even as a "lucky" amateur who won the WSOP the pros weren't giving him any respect.

if anyone besides barry would have said it it might upset me, but the guy is absolute class, if anything, he is laying down the gauntlet for whoever to prove him wrong, and if someone does barry will be the first one to say "i was wrong," because the guy is a straight shooter.you guys should definitely check out his book "ace on the river" if you havent already

you've gotta also realize how hard barry has worked to be a top player. Imagine working that hard to be a top player and then tv has the entire nation convinced that the good players are dutch boyd and doug lee.i dont blame the guy for having a chip on his shoulder.plus hes right.

Barry: Only a natural card player can hack it in the big game, and the best anyone can do strictly by the book is 80-160. That does seem pretty arrogant.
That doesn't seem terribly arrogant at all. I actually think it seems kind of generous that he believes someone can play strictly by the book and still be a winning 80-160 player.
you've gotta also realize how hard barry has worked to be a top player. Imagine working that hard to be a top player and then tv has the entire nation convinced that the good players are dutch boyd and doug lee.i dont blame the guy for having a chip on his shoulder.plus hes right.
I've never seen anyone say that, especially the latter.

you guys are dead wrong about the online player pool not being able to produce a player that could win in the big game. i'm sure there are dozens, but they just don't have the bankroll. hell , smash is a poker god and he's an online player. i'm sure he could beat that game. lol. seriously, there are over 100,000 online players. i'm sure that a few have the game. do you think anyone would have said that dn could sit in that game 5 years ago? give it time and oyu'll see.

you guys are dead wrong about the online player pool not being able to produce a player that could win in the big game. i'm sure there are dozens, but they just don't have the bankroll. hell , smash is a poker god and he's an online player. i'm sure he could beat that game. lol. seriously, there are over 100,000 online players. i'm sure that a few have the game. do you think anyone would have said that dn could sit in that game 5 years ago? give it time and oyu'll see.
You chose a ridiculously small number to represent the number of people who play online poker(even if you did add the +).
i know smash's ego is huge, but i'm sure even he would admit to not being able to hang in the big game right now if he got thrown into it. not only that but lets say he is finally able to adjust after awhile, well he wouldn't and most others too wouldn't have a big enough bankroll to experience losing and bouncing back...
I guess you have a right to be arrogant.
Wrong. The word arrogance dictates you have strength you are bragging about. Otherwise it is folly.Also arrogance != confidence.
This was an incredibly stupid post and you need to re-read what I wrote as well.
this is THE most ridiculous statement of the year....how many online players are MASTERS at every single game, because that is essentially what it takes to beat the big game. Just because someone makes a lot of money playing online poker does NOT mean they could hang with Greenstein, Ivey, Doyle, and Giang, and all the others, in the big game where they play pretty much every game, not just No limit holdem. People who think otherwise have no clue what it takes to be a player in the big game. Oh, and let's not say that dn "sits in that game." I know he has played in it before, but not on a regular basis and greeenstein even said he probably isn't ready for it yet.

Sometimes...Arrogance=Being a dick!And barry seems to fall into that category most of the time. You can be confident and not be a douchebag... he hasn't figured that out... in all his godly wisdom.

I guess you have a right to be arrogant.
Wrong. The word arrogance dictates you have strength you are bragging about. Otherwise it is folly.Also arrogance != confidence.
This was an incredibly stupid post and you need to re-read what I wrote as well.
Nope... I'm still right.!= means not equal, fyi.

How does speaking his mind making him a douchebag? People asked him questions and he answered them honestly. What is he supposed to say "yeah, there are plenty of online players who are just as good as me and could easily beat Doyle Brunson and Phil Ivey in the big game. Please, this isn't even arrogant, it is the truth.

How does speaking his mind making him a douchebag? People asked him questions and he answered them honestly. What is he supposed to say "yeah, there are plenty of online players who are just as good as me and could easily beat Doyle Brunson and Phil Ivey in the big game. Please, this isn't even arrogant, it is the truth.
He doesn't even entertain the idea that someone besides him and like 2 other people could even play in that game.Well guess what? It's a big fucking world... and it's pretty sad that he is so close minded to believe that NOBODY could sit down and win at that game. And he's a douche because he absolutely thinks he's the best player in the world. Well until he shows me some numbers of himself, and numbers of everyone else in the world... he's not. He doesn't know what everyone else makes, and can't make judgements on the entire fucking world. His head is so big I can't beleive he doesn't need a second chair at the table for his ego. Although he'd probably just tell us that his ego isn't good enough to play in the big game.

(sw) Do Big Game players come from a Stork? It just seems to me that online poker is part of poker now. So its hard to imagine a future without online players in the big game and who says the Big Game is always going to be live. Heck, aren't some if not all the Big Game Players part of the Online Poker community already? If the question was could a online player who played online exclusively compete in The Big Game live? I'd have to agree with him. But nature is weird and anything should be posible...It would be a monster long shot though.Imho.

He doesn't even entertain the idea that someone besides him and like 2 other people could even play in that game.Well guess what? It's a big censored world... and it's pretty sad that he is so close minded to believe that NOBODY could sit down and win at that game. And he's a douche because he absolutely thinks he's the best player in the world. Well until he shows me some numbers of himself, and numbers of everyone else in the world... he's not. He doesn't know what everyone else makes, and can't make judgements on the entire fucking world. His head is so big I can't beleive he doesn't need a second chair at the table for his ego. Although he'd probably just tell us that his ego isn't good enough to play in the big game.
There is a reason that the Big Game is called the Big Game. THAT IS BECAUSE THE VERY VERY VERY BEST POKER PLAYERS PLAY IN IT, AND IF OTHER PLAYERS ARE CAPABLE OF BEATING IT, THEN WHY AREN'T THEY PLAYING IN IT!!!!!!!!!!! IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION, I BELIEVE HE WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT "ONLINE PLAYERS" AND HE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, THERE IS NO WAY ANY OF THE BEST ONLINE PLAYERS COULD SIT WITH THEM AND NOT LOSE WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING 2-7 LOWBALL OR STUD HI-LO OR EVEN REGULAR STUD. IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW, THERE ARE OTHER FORMS OF POKER THAN NO LIMIT HOLDEM, AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. IF THERE WERE ANY OTHER PLAYERS WHO COULD MASTER EVERY SINGLE GAME THE WAY HE HAS, THEN THEY WOULD ALREADY HAVE BUILT UP THE BANKROLL TO GO PLAY IN THE BIG GAME. THERE ARE NO SUCH PLAYERS ONLINE WHO CAN DO THIS, AND THERE ARE VERY FEW IN THE WORLD WHO CAN AT ALL...I KNOW THAT GREENSTEIN AND NEGREANU HAVE THEIR DIFFERENCES AND THAT GREENSTEIN IS NOT THE MOST POPULAR PLAYER, BUT GO ASK ANY PRO WHO IS ONE OF THE TOP FIVE POKER PLAYERS RIGHT NOW, AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT GREENSTEIN WILL BE IN EVERYONE'S LIST, WITH HIM BEING #1 IN MANY OF THEM. LET'S GIVE HIM A LITTLE CREDIT HERE, THERE ARE VERY FEW PEOPLE ALIVE RIGHT NOW THAT ARE EVEN IN HIS LEAGUE....IT ISN'T LIKE HE SAID THAT THERE WILL NEVER EVER BE AN ONLINE PLAYER WHO WILL EVENTUALLY BE GOOD ENOUGH, HE JUST MEANT THAT THERE WAS NONE RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE THOSE ONLINE PLAYERS MAKE A LIVING BY PLAYING WEAKER COMPETITION. IN THE BIG GAME, THERE IS NO WEAK COMPETITION, THEY ARE THE VERY BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, THUS, THE BIG GAME IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME AN ONLINE MTT FULL OF FISH...SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, COME ON