taking smash's theory to the $5-10 table.

well heres the catch, it was the five ten NL table at bodog.these people are the loosest players on the planet and will call down with anything!I go all in preflop with aces and kings, mostly cause people will play anything and you really dont know where you are on the flop.the main thing i took away from smashs strategy was that in general when you play on the internet playing tight is a great strategy, and you most protect your hand when you are the favorite!i used to play loose but i realized that almost every player on the internet plays loose. playing five ten today I even folded AQ to a single raise, becuase it was a little above the standard raise.btw, i won 2400 and was only in a half bad spot one time!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres the thing.All your doing is getting lucky. It takes luck to catch AA,KK. and when you have these hands, it takes luck for them to hold up everytime.The whole strategy aspect of this isnt really strategy, its just a very simple way for horrible players to profit at NL on their lucky days

heres the thing.All your doing is getting lucky. It takes luck to catch AA,KK. and when you have these hands, it takes luck for them to hold up everytime.The whole strategy aspect of this isnt really strategy, its just a very simple way for horrible players to profit at NL on their lucky days
Exactly

I don't think Smash ever said this was a skillful or even interesting way to play NL.It's just an easy way to make money, which, in the end, is the goal.What's more important, how much you make or how you get there?BTW, not a Smash fan here, just pointing this stuff out.

I don't think Smash ever said this was a skillful or even interesting way to play NL.It's just an easy way to make money, which, in the end, is the goal.What's more important, how much you make or how you get there?BTW, not a Smash fan here, just pointing this stuff out.
I see your point.Not a smash fan either here........ I think he should be banned from the site personally from his comments earlier about that person just asking for a prayer.

I think the Smash theory is extreemely applicable to all games with some modifications at higher levels. I have been killing the $100NL games for the past two weeks using a modified version of the theory (by two weeks I mean over 10K hands, and more like 15K hands). It takes a lot of patience, some good reads (with overpairs sometimes), and a ton of restraint. The only modifications to the theory I use are preflop raises with any pocket pair (although I do not call raises with lower pocket pairs like 66 through 22), and I play carefully with higher pairs (except AA and KK). If I make my hand (trips or overpairs) I play tight-aggressive to (1) build the pot for an all-in and (2) take down decent pots thanks to my initial raises. This method is easily applied to 4-tabling NL and perhaps even up to 8 tabling. I see about 17% of flops and win over 85% of showdowns (typically about 87-93%). Of the 17% of flops I see, I usually win 35%. I am up over 15BB/100 in 10-15K hands. IMHO the theory is the best way to make easy money, making 'simple' decisions over and over again builds confidence in the game and has turned me from a winning player (3.5BB/100) to a very profitable player (10-15BB/100). Further, I think that bankroll requirements (15 buy-ins on NL) are less crucial the tighter the player (although I still stick to the 15 buy-in rule just in case).

75% to win getting all of your money in and it holding up is luck? Do you wanna rephrase that?
getting AA, or KK is luck.I've sat through MTT's for 3 hours, saw over 200 hands, not one KK,AA or AK.and maybe getting your money in witha 75% fav is not luck, but having someone call a ridiculously tight player preflop who pushed all in. is well.. umm... Luck
I see your point.Not a smash fan either here........ I think he should be banned from the site personally from his comments earlier about that person just asking for a prayer.
It was deleted before I saw it. What did he say? All I saw was "there is no god, good luck" which I have no problem with. Was there something else? I'm just curious what was so "horrible" to be deleted or possibly banned.
It was deleted before I saw it. What did he say? All I saw was "there is no god, good luck" which I have no problem with. Was there something else? I'm just curious what was so "horrible" to be deleted or possibly banned.
Ron.Its not the post that was so bad, it was his timing and choice of wording.It sounded like a very sarcastic and rude post for someone who was asking for thoughts and prayers.You yourself said it best. I'm not religious but you have my thoughts.Why did he have to take it to the level he did? why couldnt he have kept it at Goodluck.
I think the Smash theory is extreemely applicable to all games with some modifications at higher levels. I have been killing the $100NL games for the past two weeks using a modified version of the theory (by two weeks I mean over 10K hands, and more like 15K hands). It takes a lot of patience, some good reads (with overpairs sometimes), and a ton of restraint. The only modifications to the theory I use are preflop raises with any pocket pair (although I do not call raises with lower pocket pairs like 66 through 22), and I play carefully with higher pairs (except AA and KK). If I make my hand (trips or overpairs) I play tight-aggressive to (1) build the pot for an all-in and (2) take down decent pots thanks to my initial raises. This method is easily applied to 4-tabling NL and perhaps even up to 8 tabling. I see about 17% of flops and win over 85% of showdowns (typically about 87-93%). Of the 17% of flops I see, I usually win 35%. I am up over 15BB/100 in 10-15K hands. IMHO the theory is the best way to make easy money, making 'simple' decisions over and over again builds confidence in the game and has turned me from a winning player (3.5BB/100) to a very profitable player (10-15BB/100). Further, I think that bankroll requirements (15 buy-ins on NL) are less crucial the tighter the player (although I still stick to the 15 buy-in rule just in case).
This is very similar to what I do at the $25NL tables on PP. I've seen a bit less than 3000 hands but my BB/100 are over 20. The only real difference is that I will call small raises (up to $.75) with any pocket pair. I actually prefer entering a raised pot with these hands because when you flop a set you will usually get paid off even more. On PP, if someone raises w./AQ and hits their queen on the flop I will get every last one of their chips more than half the time (obviously if I hit a set.) If I don't hit, I'll throw it away. Anyway. that's just what's been working for me.

i cant believe there are still threads about smash's system.it's just a way to mindlessly beat small stakes nl games where people have no idea what they are doing.this system, or any slightly modified but still "written in stone" approach to nl will not be profitable at 5/10 or higher. (i doubt it would do much better than break even at 2/4). people adapt to their opponents and are capable of changing gears effectively at higher limits. if you play like a weak/tight nit and simple overbet all in any time you're a huge favorite, good players will just stop playing big pots with you unless they have monsters and they will run you over on all the times you miss or the board is scary for your hand.it takes actual skill and experience to beat a 5/10 nl game. people are capable of a lot of things you never see at lower limits and playing ABC poker will barely break even, unless you have ridiculously specific table selection and hate the idea of improving your game.

Smash shouldn't of been banned, becaue the other poster shouldn't of posted that in the General Poker Forum in the first place. I don't mean to be rude, but people should try and stay in the poker genre, because if we all post are life problems there will be no poker left. I feel bad for the guy, but he had no right to be posting that here no matter how bad it was, because it has nothing to do with the poker world. Hopefully this ends the discussion of what Smash said and we could all get back on topic. Peace!Now what really matters...the poker! I can't imagine this working in anything higher than 1/2. That's just my opinion though. However, I am like 99.99% sure this can't be very profitable at 5/10. :-)

well what i took away from the other thread was dont play your big hands like a little girl and dont play a big pot unless you are a huge favorite.THAT WORKS EVERYWHERE!I also like taking a turn with a gutshot and trying to break someone, theres other things i do to, but i dont get too carried away.also its bodog, the loosest games in the world.

Smash's system is simply pressing when you have an extreme edge. Even some of the better players will call you down if they think that they are either ahead or think they are getting the right price as a dog. This system can possibly work anywhere, only at higher stakes it would not likely be as effective since you will likely get less calls. And about someone saying that you are lucky to get AA and KK, it's not luck, it's inevitable. Over the long run we all see about the same number of great hands, the luck can only be in the shortrun, where you may get them a much higher percentage of the time.

Smash's system is simply pressing when you have an extreme edge. Even some of the better players will call you down if they think that they are either ahead or think they are getting the right price as a dog. This system can possibly work anywhere, only at higher stakes it would not likely be as effective since you will likely get less calls. And about someone saying that you are lucky to get AA and KK, it's not luck, it's inevitable. Over the long run we all see about the same number of great hands, the luck can only be in the shortrun, where you may get them a much higher percentage of the time.
every 220 hands or something?.. cant remember exactly.but this doesnt mean its still 100% going to happen.50/50 that a coin is heads or tails. still doesnt mean it cant be tails for 1000 flips.u could easily go 500 hands with no aces or kings