I was playing poker on pacific for 5 days solid and felt that an interest turned into an obssession. I got addicted to winning a large pot meanin the goal of actually winnin money was not my primary goal for achieving my rush. From an initial deposit of 100$ my money deviated to as low as 8$ up to 1500$ and after 4 days I went from 1500$ to 700$. Then went down to 200$ after losing an allin preflop wiv AA against no less than 66. I built back up to 1100$ and then fell down to 900$. This yoyo of swings taught me that anything can happen so I decided to withdraw. However last night I wanted to go in the 33$ 30k guar thinkin well 33$ is not a lot to lose and its bit of fun. When i went out prematurely however I found it hard to turn off comp and go to bed. So i played 2-4 NL built to 1000$ then i thought this is not givin me rush. So i went on to 3-6 NL how immature is that. Proceeded with bad luck followed inevitably bad play lost the lot. So my questions are at what monetary value is right to stop. Also when is it right to stop playing poker and have a break and enjoy other things in life. After losing this amount of money. I don't feel too bad because I know poker got control of me and would have been playing today and the next dy where no value of money would have been enough. Ot took this to clear my head and enjoy being away from poker table all be it an online one where this was only thing I cared about. I know that I am a winning poker player and quite talented I know from many previous times that I can build a profit and withdraw and this one off has taught me where I have gone wrong. Also the variance of 3-6 NL is too high for my bankroll and one wrong move could lose me too much so 1-2 NL and a little 2-4 NL after I have had a break should be ok any views?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your able to evaluate yourself which is good. Work on discipline. Also 2-4 NL is too high for u right now because of the variance. Once you start playing for a longer amount of time you'll understand. I would recommend u play 1-2NL to build ur bankroll for now and play some tourneys. You should have atleast over 2k before sitting at the 2-4NL consistently.Bankroll management is one of the biggest keys to a successful poker player. Find stuff online or in books about bankroll management. The information you gain will be invaluable.I'm only 18 as well. I built my bankroll up from 50 dollars to 10k very fast. I've also went through swings like you did and have adjusted accordingly. I've also gone through a month slump where the cards were horrific. Everyday was bad beat city and it affects you. Those streaks are unavoidable but teach valuable lessons. I'm assuming you haven't been through a long slump yet so make sure you have enough bankroll to live through one. A lot of pros have gone broke at one point in their life from these slumps. I fortunately never have since I keep strict rules on my bankroll.Oops i said 18. I turned 19 recently :club:

Ok, if you are playing to make money, learn bankroll management.If you are just feeding an addictive gambling urge, then by all means have fun with that 100.
Your able to evaluate yourself which is good. Work on discipline. Also 2-4 NL is too high for u right now because of the variance. Once you start playing for a longer amount of time you'll understand. I would recommend u play 1-2NL to build ur bankroll for now and play some tourneys. You should have atleast over 2k before sitting at the 2-4NL consistently.
are you nuts? 5 buyins is enough to play at a level? start lower than 1/2 and build up from there, discipline yourself to stay within your bankroll.or, like the other guy said, if you're just gambling, enjoy it.
How fast is very fast? Because 50 to 10k sounds like luck to me.
Started at the end of summer just before school starts. Started at $5 sitngos. Played a $5 mtt and placed top 6 i believe and that payed out quite a bit. Had over 1k in about 2-3 weeks. Then I was in school and couldn't play for awhile until winter break. One week during winter break I bump that 1k to 10k by placing 3rd 2nd and 2nd in 3 tourneys. I had no HU experience so i was quite disappointed. If i had won one I'd prob have double what i have.

I'm always annoyed by the responses people give to an honest and very important question such as the OP posted. His question poses legitimate concerns which only Egarim attempted to give credible advice. I'll give my .02 here.Like you, I too have trouble turning off the computer. I have the dubious distinction of having turned 500 into 5000 and losing it on several occasions, and recently made a swing of 100 to 11,200 and then lost 9K of it, all in one day. For those of you who don't think this is common, think again.The biggest problem is self control. For me, I know I AM capable of crushing a 5/10 NL game, due to many sessions of doing so, but I also know it's common for me to win a little and then sit in 10/20 or 25/50 and lose it in a flash.For the last week I've played .5/1, penny stakes for me, but have forced myself to sit there and grind. I'm up 1400, so everything is ok for now. My goal is to get up 5K and move to 1/2, then to 10K and move to 2/4, 20K for 5/10. Hopefully then variance won't cause me to tilt and spew.GL to the OP.

Your able to evaluate yourself which is good. Work on discipline. Also 2-4 NL is too high for u right now because of the variance. Once you start playing for a longer amount of time you'll understand. I would recommend u play 1-2NL to build ur bankroll for now and play some tourneys. You should have atleast over 2k before sitting at the 2-4NL consistently.
are you nuts? 5 buyins is enough to play at a level? start lower than 1/2 and build up from there, discipline yourself to stay within your bankroll.or, like the other guy said, if you're just gambling, enjoy it.
I said atleast. I would recommend more if your conservative and can't handle playing for that much. But seeing the way he plays i'm sure he has no problem with it. Seems like a gambler to me. I don't know where his bankroll is now but i'm sure he can safely play 100NL. I think he'll be ok at 200NL but if he takes a couple buyin losses then he has to drop down. BTW: you didn't specify if your playing shorthanded or a full table. By the looks of it, it seems like your playing SH which creates bigger swings
I said atleast. I would recommend more if your conservative and can't handle playing for that much. But seeing the way he plays i'm sure he has no problem with it. Seems like a gambler to me. I don't know where his bankroll is now but i'm sure he can safely play 100NL. I think he'll be ok at 200NL but if he takes a couple buyin losses then he has to drop down. BTW: you didn't specify if your playing shorthanded or a full table. By the looks of it, it seems like your playing SH which creates bigger swings
it has nothing to do with what "he can handle." you're suggesting he start with bankroll management, and then give him horrible bankroll management advice. that's like saying "i don't want him driving drunk, but he's ok driving a little drunk because he's a risk taker."

I'd advise to play all of the big tournies at pacific 30k, 100k, and uk qualifier. I once won the 30 k after playing a $6 satelite and made a nice profit through the 100k. Also i would stick to 1-2 NL

First you should be playing within levels your bankroll can take. Second you should keep playing as long as the table is good and you are mentally able to play your top game. Right now is does not appear that you have the right mental state to be playing period (not trying to be harsh on you. just an honest opinion).The swings people are mentioning in the above posts sound like people are jumping levels too quickly (assuming that they are playing at a level within their bankroll to begin with). Either that or people are pushing way too often in marginal situations giving them those high good/bad luck swings.

First you should be playing within levels your bankroll can take. Second you should keep playing as long as the table is good and you are mentally able to play your top game. Right now is does not appear that you have the right mental state to being playing period (not trying to be harsh on you. just an honest opinion).The swings people are mentioning in the above posts sound like people are jumping levels too quickly (assuming that they are playing at a level within their bankroll to begin with). Either that or people are pushing way too often in marginal situations giving them those high good/bad luck swings.
When you have a small bankroll of lets say... 1k or lower... and you know your capable of playing at a much higher lvl and making a lot more money, I don't think it's wrong to be playing 1-2 and breaking standard bankroll rules. When your bankroll is this low, it'll take too long to build it by playing 25NL. Think about when you put ur first 50 or 100 in. You're forced to play more than your bankroll can handle. But you managed (well, I'll just assume u did).But in the end it comes down to what are you comfortable with?
First you should be playing within levels your bankroll can take. Second you should keep playing as long as the table is good and you are mentally able to play your top game. Right now is does not appear that you have the right mental state to being playing period (not trying to be harsh on you. just an honest opinion).The swings people are mentioning in the above posts sound like people are jumping levels too quickly (assuming that they are playing at a level within their bankroll to begin with). Either that or people are pushing way too often in marginal situations giving them those high good/bad luck swings.
When you have a small bankroll of lets say... 1k or lower... and you know your capable of playing at a much higher lvl and making a lot more money, I don't think it's wrong to be playing 1-2 and breaking standard bankroll rules. When your bankroll is this low, it'll take too long to build it by playing 25NL. Think about when you put ur first 50 or 100 in. You're forced to play more than your bankroll can handle. But you managed (well, I'll just assume u did).But in the end it comes down to what are you comfortable with?
apparently he thinks he's comfortable with 5/10, so telling him to throw his 1k bankroll into a higher game than .25/.50 is absurd. you might as well type up your rebuttal to his "my aces just lost to QJo for $2000 and i'm broke" thread.
apparently he thinks he's comfortable with 5/10, so telling him to throw his 1k bankroll into a higher game than .25/.50 is absurd. you might as well type up your rebuttal to his "my aces just lost to QJo for $2000 and i'm broke" thread.
U stick to your .25/.50 game then. If he likes to play at 5/10NL then theres no way he'll sit down at that table. Everyones different. If you don't take that into account at the poker table you'll never be past just playing your cards. Also, if you're too afraid to lose then you'll never make it to the high limits. playing 50NL with a 2k bankroll isn't worth it. 100NL for him is the minimum. For others .25/.50 is the max.
I never played outside my bankroll. And I've never had a bankroll of just $50. What I did was work a regular job until I saved up enough money that was a proper starting bankroll (and money I could afford to lose). And yes it takes a long time and a lot of hard work to grind it out to get to the next level, but thats how you learn. I know a lot of people dont do this, but everyone should.
U stick to your .25/.50 game then. If he likes to play at 5/10NL then theres no way he'll sit down at that table. Everyones different. If you don't take that into account at the poker table you'll never be past just playing your cards. Also, if you're too afraid to lose then you'll never make it to the high limits. playing 50NL with a 2k bankroll isn't worth it. 100NL for him is the minimum. For others .25/.50 is the max.
dude, are you even listening to yourself? "i'll never get past playing my cards because i advise people that are asking for help not to do what i did and lose their bankroll"he came here and said one of his biggest problem was bankroll management, and you're trying to give him advice on how to completely mismanage his roll just becuase he's 'comfortable' at a certain level. that's exactly what happened to me...i was running $50 sitngo's, hit a bad streak, and instead of dropping to 20's at a reasonable time, i stayed at $50's until i went broke because i was more 'comfortable' there.come on, i'm sure another bankroll management purist should be perusing this forum...someone step in and help me out here, or someone come in and tell me i'm dead wrong and i'll go back into my cave.

I broke just about every bankroll when I started too. I played 10/20 with like 200 dollars in my pocket. You learn quickly though that you have to have some sense of bankroll management or you have no shot of being successful in this game. You can't really preach this though, eventually most of you will go bust playing above what you can handle and then you can either wisen up or blame bad luck and keep playing above your means and donating to players like myself. I really can't complain though, if there weren't players like this around, none of us would be eating.I love having the players sit with their entire bankroll in my games, because I know they're usually weak players. They either are just in there gambling it up hoping to get lucky or they are playing scared to death trying not to lose money. Either way, they're a sitting target for me.Back to the OP's post. It sounds like you have a gambling problem more than anything and just want to have the action, I can tell this is the case because you remember so vividly your winnings in the short amount of time. Your also talking about making profit and then taking the money out, which tells me you have no sense of bankroll management at all. That's the mentality of losing players, I'm up X amount of dollars, I'll cash out this much, so this way I can't lose my profits, which is the wrong way of thinking. Everybody thinks they're talented, but your probably just like any other player, you just happen to think your exceptional. Most good players couldn't tell you how much they win, because they concentrate on playing their A game and not how much they're winning. My advice for you is to learn this game, keep working on it and be humble about it. Don't think you have some natural talent for this game, because you probably don't.

dude, are you even listening to yourself? "i'll never get past playing my cards because i advise people that are asking for help not to do what i did and lose their bankroll"he came here and said one of his biggest problem was bankroll management, and you're trying to give him advice on how to completely mismanage his roll just becuase he's 'comfortable' at a certain level. that's exactly what happened to me...i was running $50 sitngo's, hit a bad streak, and instead of dropping to 20's at a reasonable time, i stayed at $50's until i went broke because i was more 'comfortable' there.come on, i'm sure another bankroll management purist should be perusing this forum...someone step in and help me out here, or someone come in and tell me i'm dead wrong and i'll go back into my cave.
$50 SITNGOS is quite different than 200NL cash games. I've had experience in both areas and they should not be confused. You obviously don't have the same experience as we do. I'm not saying that your advice is completely irrelevant by any means. I respect what your saying. I am merely saying that for some people .25/.50 is just tooo low. If he has 2k and plays 200NL and he should be ok if he's good and comfortable with those limits. Sure, the safe play is to play 50NL and build it up. I also said if he loses a couple 200 buy-ins at the beginning then he has to drop down to 100NL. It all depends on the person and situation. If you happy playing 50NL and not making much money then by all means play at that limit.