riddle at a poker game

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here's one. You are in a room with a panel of 3 light switches, one of which controls a light in an upstairs room of the house that you are in. the other 2 switches control nothing. You cannot see the room upstairs from your position downstairs. You can only go upstairs once to see if the light is turned on (it is presently off). How can you tell which switch controls the light?
turn 2 on. wait 5 minutes then turn one off.you have 1 bulb off, 1 bulb on, 1 bulb off but warm because it used to be on. figure out which is which.
good job. now i hope you didn't just know the answer and ruin it for everyone.
I really hope you are kidding. You wanted everyone to sit here and guess and make up stupid' date=' granted funny, responses? I actually didn't know the answer to YOUR question. Then there was the man who posted it in other words, and then it clicked. Sorry if this ruined your fun.[/quote']yes. that was the point. for people to sit around and guess. what's the harm in having a little bit of pointless fun.

OK, here's one. You are in a room with a panel of 3 light switches, one of which controls a light in an upstairs room of the house that you are in. the other 2 switches control nothing. You cannot see the room upstairs from your position downstairs. You can only go upstairs once to see if the light is turned on (it is presently off).How can you tell which switch controls the light?This was the riddle I was asked at my interview for the scholarship I got for college.I'd already heard it had to pretend not to know the answer until I thought sufficient 'thinking' time had passed.

OK, here's one. You are in a room with a panel of 3 light switches, one of which controls a light in an upstairs room of the house that you are in. the other 2 switches control nothing. You cannot see the room upstairs from your position downstairs. You can only go upstairs once to see if the light is turned on (it is presently off). How can you tell which switch controls the light?
turn 2 on. wait 5 minutes then turn one off.you have 1 bulb off, 1 bulb on, 1 bulb off but warm because it used to be on. figure out which is which.
You have the right idea, but I don't think you answered the question correctly. It seems as though you are referring to 3 lights, whereas the original question only has 1 light. Same principle though. If it's on, the switch that is on controls it. If it is warm, the one you turned off does. If it is cold, the other one does.

But i'll do it anywaywrto, absolute and econ_tim go to Atlantic city and decide to share a room since they will rarely use it paying cards the whole time. They are cheap though and the hole in the wall they choose is only $25. They each give the manager $10 but since he's out of singles he tells them that he will send the bellboy up witht he change. Fifteen minutes later the bellboy appears at the door and gives them the change, wrto, absolute and econ_tim each keep $1 and they tip the bellboy $2.00 soooo...wrto spent $9. ($10-$1) absolute spent $9 the same and so did econ_tim $9 individually (agreed?)so wrto absolute and econtim spent a total of $27. (3x9) and gave the bellboy $2. for a total of $29. Where'd the other dollar go?

25 for the room is 8.33 each.2 for the bellboy is .67 each.3 back is 1 each.8.33 + .67 + 1 = 10 each.They didn't give the bellboy more money in additon to what they paid. You should say "They spent $9 each and then each kept $1 for a $30 total."The wording of the question was the second nuts.

But i'll do it anywaywrto, absolute and econ_tim go to Atlantic city and decide to share a room since they will rarely use it paying cards the whole time. They are cheap though and the hole in the wall they choose is only $25. They each give the manager $10 but since he's out of singles he tells them that he will send the bellboy up witht he change. Fifteen minutes later the bellboy appears at the door and gives them the change, wrto, absolute and econ_tim each keep $1 and they tip the bellboy $2.00 soooo...wrto spent $9. ($10-$1) absolute spent $9 the same and so did econ_tim $9 individually (agreed?)so wrto absolute and econtim spent a total of $27. (3x9) and gave the bellboy $2. for a total of $29. Where'd the other dollar go?
nowhere...2 of 'em paid $8 for the room, one of 'em paid $9...the ones that paid $8 for the room paid $1 for the tip, and everyone has $1 left in their pocket

Umm let's review, just taking wrto for example, he handed over $10 he got $1 back, now in any math I know of that leaves him with $9. They gave the bellboy 2 $1 bills, that's $2.00 anywhere iv'e ever been. So if they each spent $9 and the bellboy got $2, that's only $29....I'm sure wrto would say he didn't get any quarters in the mix, it was all cash.

so wrto absolute and econtim spent a total of $27. (3x9) and gave the bellboy $2. for a total of $29. Where'd the other dollar go?The $27 already includes the tip, $25 for the room, $2 for the bellboy.You should be adding the $3 change they kept to the $27, and not the tip which is already accounted for. This isn't a riddle as much as it is trying to trick you with a wrong question.