you really gotta wonder what richard will do if he loses. I hoping he wins cause I think he deserves it. He is really top notch. The other chefs are really good and Mike has surprised the hell out of me but I just want to see richard win.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see anyone but Richard win. He didn't even believe them when they said their lobster was undercooked. Douchebag.

Really disappointed to see Antonia go. I thought the elimination challenge (not the bites thing) was really unfair. Let them cook their own style of food at this stage. To make her cook Japanese which is completely opposite to her normal style was really stupid. Richard's sounded technically quite poor, especially the spatzle, and yet he got through to the final straight away?The bites thing was dumb too. Neither of them produced a "bite", they both produced small dishes which needed to be cut into. With Mike's you would need to scoop some tartar up and dip it in both sauces to get one bite, for instance. From the sounds of the judging Mike's was pretty safe and bland, yet they got rid of Antonia's powerful and memorable dish. Basically, I didn't understand any of the judging decisions this episode. I really want Richard to win but I think Mike will win.

I don't think Richard's dish was technically quite poor like you suggest. The spatzle was the only thing that wasn't basically perfect. They adored the main component and also the dessert. I thought it was quite obvious from their comments during the meal that he was the winner by far. I agree that the main elimination challenge was weird, particularly with a Japanese chef in the mix. I actually liked the twist at the end though - Antonia wasn't going to be sent home for messing up Japanese food after all. I agree though that it was weird that neither of them even tried to make a "bite," and that nobody seemed to mind. And I also thought Antonia was gonna win that challenge, based on the comments. Until about 10 minutes into the episode I thought it was the finale. I didn't realize they were gonna do a head-to-head.

And I also thought Antonia was gonna win that challenge, based on the comments.
Agreed. Also when the seven judges each gave their "vote" while discussing amongst themselves, didn't Antonia win 4-3? Padma even told them about the "split decision 4-3," making it seem like they were going to use that for the basis for who gets eliminated. And then they somehow decide to go against that? If they were going to disregard that vote, I would have preferred they just cut that conversation out of the episode, since apparently it didn't matter. But after deciding to include that conversation in the final cut, choosing Mike over Antonia just seems inexplicable.

I don't think Wolfgang voted for Antonia. He said her dish was more memorable, but then he kept talking and they cut him off to build suspense. Then they came back and his vote had clearly gone to Mike. I do agree that they probably didn't actually base their decision entirely on the vote total though - Tom's vote probably carries the most weight.

Antonia blew the elimination challenge and was lucky to even get the second chance. It appeared that she tried to do straight Japanese cuisine, when she should have done what Richard succeeded at and Mike attempted to do which is to put her own spin on the Samurai's last meal.And then for the last bite, I think it was Antonia that played it safe and not Mike. Mike had a ton of things going on with his, while Antonia's was just fish in sauce. Sure, hers seemed to have more flavor, but she didn't give an intriguing experience to the diners. You could see on Tom's face that he had much more respect for Mike's offering. And weren't two of the judges voting for Antonia Padma and that writer lady?

I like Antonia, but I agree that she completely blew Morimoto's meal. There were plenty of ways to do it cleverly and non-traditionally and she put out a(n admittedly good) sushi bar lunch special. Tuna and scotch bonnets is not impressing anyone who's had good sashimi. I am impressed that she made rice good enough for the judges compliments, though.

I am impressed that she made rice good enough for the judges compliments, though.
That was probably the most impressive part of anyone's dish, which is sorta silly, but shows how easy it is to mess up rice, and how difficult it is to get it perfect.
I thought the elimination challenge (not the bites thing) was really unfair. Let them cook their own style of food at this stage. To make her cook Japanese which is completely opposite to her normal style was really stupid.
I agree with this.
The bites thing was dumb too. Neither of them produced a "bite", they both produced small dishes which needed to be cut into. With Mike's you would need to scoop some tartar up and dip it in both sauces to get one bite, for instance. From the sounds of the judging Mike's was pretty safe and bland, yet they got rid of Antonia's powerful and memorable dish.
I'm not sure it was supposed to be a dish comprised entirely of one bite as much as judging that one bite of food, if you know what I mean. But, either way, they both did the same thing and it didn't affect the outcome. I think you got sucked in by selective editing in terms of Mike vs Antonia.

How drunk was Mike during the 30 minute Live after show. He had the rambles, the lean and the squinty eyes working.How about Jen yelling during the show from off camera. Bet she was a few sheets to the wind. Next weeks reunion show looks good.Overall, good season. I'm glad Richard won. How long before we see a Top Chef Winners season.

How drunk was Mike during the 30 minute Live after show. He had the rambles, the lean and the squinty eyes working.How about Jen yelling during the show from off camera. Bet she was a few sheets to the wind. Next weeks reunion show looks good.Overall, good season. I'm glad Richard won. How long before we see a Top Chef Winners season.
yeah the host and mike seemed to be pretty blasted. Hell even Harold seemed pretty drunk. great season and like many others really glad that Richard won. Of all the winners of Top Chef and even including richard into the mix who do you guys think is the best? Would it be between Mike V, Hung, Richard or even Harold? To me I really liked hung and his knife skills were amazing.
Of all the winners of Top Chef and even including richard into the mix who do you guys think is the best? Would it be between Mike V, Hung, Richard or even Harold? To me I really liked hung and his knife skills were amazing.
To me, it's clearly Blais and Voltaggio, giving Mike the edge because he's already Michelin starred and didn't need two tries to win. Plus he beat out two chefs (his brother and Beardo) that would have been towards the top of any season.

I will admit that I wanted Mike to win. But I wasn't upset Richard won. Looked to be a pretty tight finish were it always seems to me that the finale is using not as close as you would hope it to be. I didn't realize there was an aftershow and didn't tape it. Boo.

I loved the season and was happy Richard won. I agree with everything Speedz said as to who the best winner is. I think it's realllllly close between Richard and Mike V, though.

I would watch a full season of just Richard vs Mike V. Well, three episodes at least.
I'd pay to attend as an audience member and taster. Maybe a Restaurant War....and have Jen be in the front of the house please.