The Official Lethbridge Golden Seals Thread!

6. Third round, 43rd overall, Reilly Smith ForwardDrafted third round, 69th overall in 2009 by the Dallas Stars2010-2011 stats 38 gp 28g 26a 54p Miami UNiversitySmith is another guy who recently burst into the spot light with a very impressive sophomore season in College hockey, scoring well over a point per game. He is a little skinny at 6'1 175 lbs, but should fill out in the next year or two. he had arguably the most impressive season of any player in all of College hockey last year, ranking 4th in goals and 7th in points, but trailing players older and more experienced than himself. He was ranked the #1 Dallas stars prospect by Hockey prospectus, ahead of Scott Glennie and 2011 draftee Jamieson Oleksiak. Other publications ranked him a bit lower, but he has certainly turned a lot of heads this year, and I look forward to seeing what he can do as a Junior this season in Miami.7. Third round, 45th overall, Mattias Ekholm DefenseDrafted fourth round, 102nd overall in 2009 by the Nashville predators2010-2011 stats 55gp 10g 23a 33p Brynas IF gavle SELSpeaking of breakout seasons, Mattias Ekholm's season in the Swedish elite league last year was impressive, to put it lightly. As a 21 year old, he played over 20 minutes a game, against professionals in one of the toughest leagues in the world. he also scored at over 0.5 ppg. To put it in some form of perspective, Adam Larsson had 9 points in the SEL last season (although he is younger than Ekholm), and Victor Hedman had 21 points in his second SEL season (again, younger than Ekholm at the time).Hockey Prospectus ranks him as the #1 overall prospect on the #3 overall prospect system (Nashville). Like Smith, Hockey prospectus is more optimistic than some other publications about his potential, but the upside is definitely there, and he could potentially be a huge steal at #45. He does have some tough competition in Nashville for defensive playing time.quote courtesy of Hockey Prospectus:"Mattias Ekholm was in my opinion, the unquestionable breakout prospect of the 2010-11 season. He went undrafted in 2008, was a fourth round pick in 2009 and now he has NHL front office executives calling him a legit blue-chip prospect"

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wow, you threw my own life motto right back at my face. well done.

News Release: February 7th, 2013   The Lethbridge Golden Seals have anounced 2 major trades in the last week.   Golden Seals acquire F Vincent Lecavalier from the Douchegators in exchange for Ales

I don't always reply to a post without quoting it, but when I do, I prefer it to be the first post on a new page.     /leastinterestingmanintheworld

Too bad you got so many picks from HP. I just clicked a link yesterday - didn't realize entire profiles were available to non-subscribers. Since I'm too lazy to do other research and I get lots of baseball stuff from there, I'm sure we would've been fighting over all the same guys!

Too bad you got so many picks from HP. I just clicked a link yesterday - didn't realize entire profiles were available to non-subscribers. Since I'm too lazy to do other research and I get lots of baseball stuff from there, I'm sure we would've been fighting over all the same guys!
Is the subscription worth it? Not sure there's an answer to that, but curious. For hockey not all is available, and I like it as another resource, but Im not sure how good their track record is, or who they are for that matter, so Ive never bit the bullet for a subscription. To be honest, Ive never found a great resource for hockey prospects, this is one of the better ones by the look of it. Dibbler is one of the worst, so often so wrong imo. Though the depth of info they provide is useful, if not accurate.
Is the subscription worth it? Not sure there's an answer to that, but curious. For hockey not all is available, and I like it as another resource, but Im not sure how good their track record is, or who they are for that matter, so Ive never bit the bullet for a subscription. To be honest, Ive never found a great resource for hockey prospects, this is one of the better ones by the look of it. Dibbler is one of the worst, so often so wrong imo. Though the depth of info they provide is useful, if not accurate.
I would say Baseball Prospectus is worth it. I don't really follow the day-to-day fantasy stuff, but there's a ton of interesting articles. If you ever read fangraphs, it's like an entire website with Dave Cameron's writing on different topics. They aren't quite up to Dave Cameron's quality, but no one is.The best part is the prospect stuff, which is, in my opinion, the best value for that stuff on the web. I'm paying the $5/month right now, but I'll probably stop that after our draft. Might get the full year next year, or might just do it for the few months of minor league seasons again.
To be honest, Ive never found a great resource for hockey prospects, this is one of the better ones by the look of it. Dibbler is one of the worst, so often so wrong imo. Though the depth of info they provide is useful, if not accurate.
Dibbler is great in that it's all fantasy info consolidated in one spot but ya... he falls in love with some prospects & overrates time to the NHL
Dibbler is great in that it's all fantasy info consolidated in one spot but ya... he falls in love with some prospects & overrates time to the NHL
Yeah, I fell into his trap of overrating small skilled guys for a while there...finally realized that for every Marty St. Louis there's a couple dozen Simon Gamache, Brett Sterling, TJ Hensick, Louie Caporusso type guys that will make his top 50 list and never go anywhere in the NHL.
To be honest, Ive never found a great resource for hockey prospects, this is one of the better ones by the look of it. Dibbler is one of the worst, so often so wrong imo. Though the depth of info they provide is useful, if not accurate.
I still buy his guides every year, but it's more for getting exposure to names I otherwise might never have heard of, then I do my own research and draw my own conclusions about players.

I agree there aren't any really awesome resources for hockey prospects. Hockey Prospectus has no track record as they have only been running for about a year. They've conveniently been running a series of top 10 prospects per team, which includes 2011 draftees, so it has been a good resource for me to at least give me some names I may not have heard of before. I know they value goal scoring and points much more than intangibles, so for fantasy purposes, they have the same goals in mind. Unlike Hockey Future, who might bump a guy up a bunch of spots because of his leadership qualities or because they ran an interview special with him a few months ago.

I agree there aren't any really awesome resources for hockey prospects. Hockey Prospectus has no track record as they have only been running for about a year. They've conveniently been running a series of top 10 prospects per team, which includes 2011 draftees, so it has been a good resource for me to at least give me some names I may not have heard of before. I know they value goal scoring and points much more than intangibles, so for fantasy purposes, they have the same goals in mind. Unlike Hockey Future, who might bump a guy up a bunch of spots because of his leadership qualities or because they ran an interview special with him a few months ago.
Hockey's Future has far too many hands in the pot as far as rating prospects go...too many different sets of criteria so there's no consistency in the ratings.

8. fourth round, 56th overall, Matt Frattin Forward Drafted 4th round 99th overall in 2007 by the Toronto Maple Leafs2010-2011 stats 44gp 36g 24a 60p University of North DakotaMy only homer pick of the draft. He had a great year last year as a senior in the NCAA. I really liked what I saw from him in his one game with the Leafs this year. He has a nose for the net and a really hard snap shot with a quick release. He'll be playing pro hockey this year so I should know pretty soon if I have anything in him. To be honest, I don't know where he fits into the Leafs plans, and he may need an injury at some point to be given a chance to play, but for a late round pick, he has some decent upside.

9. fourth round, 60th overall, Patrick Cehlin Forwarddrafted fifth round, 125th overall in 2010 by the Nashville predators2010-2011 stats 48gp 4g 12a 16p Djurgardens IF Stockholm SELCehlin is a real boom/bust prospect. He has played in the SEL for the last 2 seasons, and put up respectable, if not flashy numbers, which is impressive enough for a 20 year old. He is definitely the type of guy whose stock could skyrocket once he comes to North America, as it is sometimes hard to predict how the numbers will transfer form Europe to NA. He is smallish at 5'11, but apparantly has incredible speed and a decent shot, and plays a pesky type of game, so his style does seem suited to pro hockey iN North America.10. fifth round, 61st overall, Alexei Emelin Defensedrafted 3rd round, 84th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 20072010-2011 stats 52 gp 11g 15a 26p Kazan Ak-bars KHLpossibly the oldest player ever drafted in the FCHL draft? At 25, many people are saying that Emelin may be ready to step into the NHL as early as next season, after finally signing an ELC with the canadiens this offseason, 4 years after they drafted him. Not a huge guy at 6'0, by all accounts he plays a very mean, chippy game, and has shown the ability to score points in the KHL. I'm not expecting huge things from Emelin, but I'm hoping he can join the Seals for the 2012-2013 season, and score around 30 points per year. This pick was also neccessary in order to tip my homerism scale back to neutral, after the Frattin pick :club:

Draft SummaryOverall, I am thrilled with the 10 players that I picked in the 2011 draft. With no picks next year, this draft is a very important one for the future of the Golden Seals franchise.Early in the draft, I compiled a list of players that I wanted, and where I projected them to go. I ended up getting almost every player on my list. The exceptions being Justin Schulz, who Arp took, Stefan Noesen, who Adam took, and Rhett Rakshani, who was an ineligible pick. This is what my projected draft list looked like after the first round, some of the names moved around, but this is copy/pasted from my spreadsheet.8 PICKS LEFTStefan Noesen/Joe MorrowMartin Marincinreilly smithMattias EkholmRhett Rakshani Justin SchulzTyler BiggsPatrick CehlinMatt Frattinalexei emelinAdam Almqvist

10. fifth round, 61st overall, Alexei Emelin Defensedrafted 3rd round, 84th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 20072010-2011 stats 52 gp 11g 15a 26p Kazan Ak-bars KHLpossibly the oldest player ever drafted in the FCHL draft?
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure Janne Pesonen was 26 when I drafted him in 2008.
Yeah, I fell into his trap of overrating small skilled guys for a while there...finally realized that for every Marty St. Louis there's a couple dozen Simon Gamache, Brett Sterling, TJ Hensick, Louie Caporusso type guys that will make his top 50 list and never go anywhere in the NHL.
lol. here's where i point out that you drafted 3 of the 4 smallest players taken in the first 2 rounds of the NHL draft this year!
Dibbler is one of the worst, so often so wrong imo. Though the depth of info they provide is useful, if not accurate.
It served its purpose by helping me get Palmieri. It was supposed to get me Howse too. :club:
10. fifth round, 61st overall, Alexei Emelin Defensepossibly one of the top 30 oldest players ever to be drafted in the FCHL draft?
fmp
It served its purpose by helping me get Palmieri. It was supposed to get me Howse too. :club:
Ya, there were a couple of times where I saw you go off the Dobber stuff, I think. But to be honest, I had Howse from before this years Dobber report. And when Dubey liked my Schultz, I figured HP was a cause. I actually thought HP was around a couple of years, I think I used them last year too, though I seem to recall more items being "subscriber only" back then.Its fun playing "who is reading what!" Im never gonna be the type of guy who actually watches minors hockey for scouting fantasy purposes. But I do like to read up on any kind of hockey I can find for my pools. So Ill always buy the Dobber stuff, and every magazine, even if I find their prognostications usually off. I like to know what others are reading too. :)HF used to be a fav of mine long ago, but Adam is right, too many different heads coming up with the info, and not fantasy relevant.Pet peeve: When you have a guy you like, and Dobber comes out and starts pumping his name. FACK! There goes that late round steal.Fun assignment: Track every prospect for 10years, and see which prognosticators were correct. Ill never do it (though I do sort of track the pool mag's on NHL regulars), but there's an assignment for you eager beavers.
Ya, there were a couple of times where I saw you go off the Dobber stuff, I think. But to be honest, I had Howse from before this years Dobber report. And when Dubey liked my Schultz, I figured HP was a cause. I actually thought HP was around a couple of years, I think I used them last year too, though I seem to recall more items being "subscriber only" back then.Its fun playing "who is reading what!" Im never gonna be the type of guy who actually watches minors hockey for scouting fantasy purposes. But I do like to read up on any kind of hockey I can find for my pools. So Ill always buy the Dobber stuff, and every magazine, even if I find their prognostications usually off. I like to know what others are reading too. :)HF used to be a fav of mine long ago, but Adam is right, too many different heads coming up with the info, and not fantasy relevant.Pet peeve: When you have a guy you like, and Dobber comes out and starts pumping his name. FACK! There goes that late round steal.Fun assignment: Track every prospect for 10years, and see which prognosticators were correct. Ill never do it (though I do sort of track the pool mag's on NHL regulars), but there's an assignment for you eager beavers.
Well, I remember they launched shortly after I read Moneyball. It may have actually been a few years ago. I only remember this as significant since that book was the first time I'd heard of Baseball prospectus. It was originally called "puck prospectus", and it was 100% free but with not much content. I kind of forgot about it, and stumbled upon it again while I was researching this year. Now they have about 1 article per day, and about 50% of them are subscriber only. I don't know if it would be worth a subscription. Although I bet they ramp up their content as hockey season approaches.