Official 2010 Off Season Thread

Am I missing something here? This trade sucks for Montreal (Eller maybe 2nd liner and Palushaj is a bum).
No, I think that seems to be the general consensus. I think montreal's hands were tied. Halak probably didn't want to sign with montreal, so they decided to get some value for him rather than let him walk.
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from CBC.ca:While it might seem on the surface that Gauthier got fleeced, Halak is eligible for restricted free agency July 1 with the right to go to salary arbitration if he and the Blues can't come to a contract agreement.I'm not shocked, just a little disappointed. I think Price will be fine, as long as there is another decent G on the bench.Not sure about their skills, but they are both 6' 200 lbs, so the Habs just got a little bigger. Eller went 13th overall in 2007.GO HABS GO!

I love this trade .......as a Leafs fan..Wow...Most of the stuff i have heard from Habs fans is that they got fleeced..Doesnt make sense...Let him go to restricted free agency, let him go to Salary arbirtration...Then trade him..I love it.

Yikes! I don't hate the deal for Montreal as much as some of you, but not for particularly good reasons. Seems like a lot of goalies can have a great season and/or playoffs without being great long-term. I still don't like it, even if Halak does get a big raise for his new contract. Unless he was demanding a Dipietro-deal, I think it is still not enough. Schultz may be decent, but with players of this magnitude, he is effectively nothing. Eller should still be considered a solid prospect (IMO, without ever seeing him play), though he isn't a premier guy. I would've thought the Habs could've scored something like pick 3-8 in the coming draft for Halak, who is probably a better prospect than Eller.

WTF? From rotoworld:Daniel Briere suffered minor injuries on Thursday after being involved in a car accident.Briere apparently suffered an arm injury. He was driving on I-81 in New York when he became drowsy driving his SUV, drifted into the next lane and collided with a tractor-trailer. His nine-year-old son was in the car with him and also only suffered minor injuries. Stay tuned.Seems...vague.

I like the trade from the Blues perspective. Eller's quite good, potentially could be a first liner someday, was almost assuredly going to slide into the 2nd line for the Blues this year. They couldn't work anything out with Mason, so this had to be done.

Am I missing something here? This trade sucks for Montreal (Eller maybe 2nd liner and Palushaj is a bum).
well, firstly, it was Eller and Schultz. second-of-ly, it seems premature to call Palushaj a bum.
You can fix that problem by releasing Palushaj. He sucks.
will do!
Yikes! I don't hate the deal for Montreal as much as some of you, but not for particularly good reasons. Seems like a lot of goalies can have a great season and/or playoffs without being great long-term. I still don't like it, even if Halak does get a big raise for his new contract. Unless he was demanding a Dipietro-deal, I think it is still not enough. Schultz may be decent, but with players of this magnitude, he is effectively nothing. Eller should still be considered a solid prospect (IMO, without ever seeing him play), though he isn't a premier guy. I would've thought the Habs could've scored something like pick 3-8 in the coming draft for Halak, who is probably a better prospect than Eller.
The trade makes sense if they announce the second part where they confirm that Martin Brodeur has been traded to the Habs.Carey Price looked terrible at times and coming from a fan of a team that has made some bad goalie trades in the last few years, this ranks up there.He cant demand a Dipietro type deal, I believe the rule is in Arbirtration you only get a one year contract...No knock on Eller, but it just seems like they could of got more..Especially if they let it go past July 1 and sign him to a contract first.
WTF? From rotoworld:Daniel Briere suffered minor injuries on Thursday after being involved in a car accident.Briere apparently suffered an arm injury. He was driving on I-81 in New York when he became drowsy driving his SUV, drifted into the next lane and collided with a tractor-trailer. His nine-year-old son was in the car with him and also only suffered minor injuries. Stay tuned.Seems...vague.
That is strange. I use to drive drowsy all the time just so I can get to where I want to go. That all stopped after the kids. I now have Red Bull beside me just in case of situations like that.

Hensick to St. Louis, I guess it's a good move for me as I own him, but I can't see him making a splash in St. Louis any more than he would have in Colorado. It's probably going to shake out as an AHL deal at the end of the day.

Hensick to St. Louis, I guess it's a good move for me as I own him, but I can't see him making a splash in St. Louis any more than he would have in Colorado. It's probably going to shake out as an AHL deal at the end of the day.
I feel so terrible for you. I also have great hopes for Hensick.

How much value is there really in trading for rights to a player??Is the extra week and a half of negotiation that valuable?

How much value is there really in trading for rights to a player??Is the extra week and a half of negotiation that valuable?
I tend to agree with you but Philly had luck doing it in the past with Hartnell and Timmonen.
I imagine the acquiring team already has knowledge of what the player's asking and believes the open market might drive the price even higher.that said, has anyone ever traded for the rights to talk to a player and let them sign elsewhere?
I imagine the acquiring team already has knowledge of what the player's asking and believes the open market might drive the price even higher.that said, has anyone ever traded for the rights to talk to a player and let them sign elsewhere?
The Canadiens and Leafs didn't make an official trade but Montreal did acquire the exclusive rights to negotiate with Sundin until he became a free agent.
Matt Cooke signs for 3 years / 1.8 per yearWow...I'm pretty shocked. Not as much at the $$$ but more at the length.
Are you shocked its short, or that its long? Im suprised at the number, a little. I would have thought slightly over 2 is what he would want, and get from someone else. I think I even said that in some discussion in the Pens thread long ago.TSN text tells me Niedermayer is retiring, press conf to come later today. That sucks, hes always been one of my favourite players to watch play, Id play like him if I could.
I'd look like beckham if I could. :club:
Ok, I worded it badly.IF I could play like any current NHL'er, Id probably choose Niedermayer's game.But Id gladly take anybodies skills, and take the $500k min salary.And I thought you already looked like BPitt?
Ok, I worded it badly.IF I could play like any current NHL'er, Id probably choose Niedermayer's game.But Id gladly take anybodies skills, and take the $500k min salary.And I thought you already looked like BPitt?
I bet BPitt wants to looks like Beckham, too.it's a damn shame, this retirement, because I was looking forward to spending $15 for his services this next year.

as per TSN:to Boston: Horton, GCampbellto Florida: 15th pick, DWideman, another pickEither they really soured on Horton, or they love who they might get at 15. OR.....I overvalue Horton. Personally, I think he's a very good, possibly a true #1C to be.Wideman makes the same as Horton does the next 2yrs., so there goes the money angle.

Are you shocked its short, or that its long? Im suprised at the number, a little. I would have thought slightly over 2 is what he would want, and get from someone else. I think I even said that in some discussion in the Pens thread long ago.TSN text tells me Niedermayer is retiring, press conf to come later today. That sucks, hes always been one of my favourite players to watch play, Id play like him if I could.
Bah. Selanne has basically been waiting to see what Neidermayer does. Plus the Ducks have been waiting on Nieds decision for Wisniewski too. I guess I'm ok losing Selanne if Wisnew sticks on the #1 PP, but that's not a guarantee.If Koivu comes back, Selanne might too.