I've been shortstacking on this particular table and doubled up some time ago to 40$, then this hand came up:feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em $0.50/$1.00 - 6 playersUTG: $123.35 UTG+1: $44.10 (Hero)CO: $18.50 Button: $100.00 SB: $22.30 BB: $105.90 Preflop: ($1.50) Hero is UTG+1 with :qh:jh (6 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to $3, CO folds, Button calls $3, 2 foldsFlop: ($7.50) :ts:club::5c (2 players)Hero bets $4.80, Button calls $4.80Turn: ($17.10) :3h (2 players)Hero bets $8, Button calls $8River: ($33.10) :4h (2 players)Hero bets $12, Button raises to $84.20 and is all-inReads on villain is that he has played a lot of hands, shown some complete garbage and mucked a couple of times. I think I have him beat but considering K10 and spades is in his range I'm hesitating this a little. The river bet was bad and should've maybe been a open shove, but as played? Any thoughts?

Why are you still at this table if you're short stacking and have already doubled up? Now you're just playing with a small-middle stack and handicapping yourself. Too much to shove preflop or flop (short stack strategy) and too little to play 3 full streets properly.As played, get it in earlier and fold the river.Leave the table if you've doubled up short stacking, or buy-in full. Don't play with a middle'ish stack, you're just cutting down on your options.

Why are you still at this table if you're short stacking and have already doubled up? Now you're just playing with a small-middle stack and handicapping yourself. Too much to shove preflop or flop (short stack strategy) and too little to play 3 full streets properly.As played, get it in earlier and fold the river.Leave the table if you've doubled up short stacking, or buy-in full. Don't play with a middle'ish stack, you're just cutting down on your options.
So you're advocating hit and running?
So you're advocating hit and running?
No, I'm not approving or disapproving of any particular strategy. Personally, I don't care if people SS or not. Those that do have a transparent strategy that is highly exploitable and, overall, are +EV for me. Except maybe the really good short stackers, which are few and far between.I'm just offering advice for the OP's particular strategy.EDIT: My original grammar didn't make any sense, had to fix it.

Since your stack is kinda goofy, raise a little more preflop, it will allow bets on favorable flops to be a little bit bigger.Then bet around pot on flop and shove turn.I don't shortstack and don't know any of the strategy involved, but this is what I'd do.

i don't like that 3 short stackers are at this table, crappy table. Why are you short stacking .50-1 just drop down if you don't have roll for that. As played if you are going to short stack i raise 5x BB and c/ shove flop after a donk bet, we are way too short to try and small ball here. Short stacking=longball which= loads of variance even when you are right. but if you are going to play the hand this way, buy in full!!! But as you see thats not true strat, it is the knee jerk poker you are forced to play due to your stack

i don't like that 3 short stackers are at this table, crappy table. Why are you short stacking .50-1 just drop down if you don't have roll for that. As played if you are going to short stack i raise 5x BB and c/ shove flop after a donk bet, we are way too short to try and small ball here. Short stacking=longball which= loads of variance even when you are right. but if you are going to play the hand this way, buy in full!!! But as you see thats not true strat, it is the knee jerk poker you are forced to play due to your stack
Playing as a short stack will make the bigger stacks pay you off easier since they will occasionally call with way worse hands than if I bought in with 100$ and then bet out or raised 20.Yes, the plan was to run but I had already paid the BB so I thought I'd just check out if some monster might come up OOP....I know it's not very good poker but it's a very good way to boost your bankroll without putting very much effort in it...
As played, you have to fold this river. He's not bluffing and either has 88 or a flush. Being so short...I just would have raised larger preflop and shoved on the flop.
Why wouldn't he bluff in this spot? The river bet smelled of weakness and he might use that opportunity to push us off the pot thinking we have nothing but air, and that we're trying to c-bet this all the way down praying for him to not show any resistance.

Mainly because he never expects to have much fold equity. You're over thinking yourself here. And honestly, unless you're making a push to withdraw some spending money for christmas from poker or something, shortstacking is not going to give you the BR boost necessary to play better in the future. Are you using it to move up to fullstacking 50nl or something? Because that's most likely a mistake.

FLOG bet more on the turn... a flush draw is never folding there.i would be happy to shove and take the pot on the turn..also to the villain your bet on the river looks likes a defensive bet to get to showdown cheaply.

Luke(50 zero's)1 is right.I AM advocating hit and running. When you double up, leave. Playing 40bbs is harder than playing 20 or 100 or 5000. You get put in the dumbest spots imaginable. Short stacking, you want to get it in early and easily. Bigger stacking you want to get several streets of value. With 40bbs, you get caught in the middle of the two and lose control of how you play the hand.Poker ediquette be damned. What are they going to do, call you names? It's online poker. Steal from them and laugh all the way to the bank.(Yes I came back for this :])

I know a reg who seriously buys in for 60bbs all the time. It's bizarre. It works for him though apparently.http://www.pokertableratings.com/fulltilt-...ch/itsonlychipsThe basic premise behind shortstacking is to take advantage of 100bbers who can't adjust, and it works because regs play tons of tables and don't notice things. Fortunately a vast vast majority of shortstackers are ****ing retarded and actually can't shortstack with any particular skill/idea of what they're doing. Once you double up you should definitely run 100% unless you have position on a fish. All I'm saying is that you're not going to get any respect for what you're doing, you're going to grind out a small winrate if you do well with enormous swings. But if the $ means that to you and you can't or won't play deeper, good for you. It can be very profitable: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker...tacking-649903/But I still think you should jump off a bridge

Luke(50 zero's)1 is right.I AM advocating hit and running. When you double up, leave. Playing 40bbs is harder than playing 20 or 100 or 5000. You get put in the dumbest spots imaginable. Short stacking, you want to get it in early and easily. Bigger stacking you want to get several streets of value. With 40bbs, you get caught in the middle of the two and lose control of how you play the hand.Poker ediquette be damned. What are they going to do, call you names? It's online poker. Steal from them and laugh all the way to the bank.(Yes I came back for this :])
^^^^ this. if you are going to short stack you have to hit and run otherwise it is like vegas, you are going to dump it all back
Playing as a short stack will make the bigger stacks pay you off easier since they will occasionally call with way worse hands than if I bought in with 100$ and then bet out or raised 20....I know it's not very good poker but it's a very good way to boost your bankroll without putting very much effort in it...
meh, plenty of spewy player in .25-.50 so moving down and vbetting spewbots to death will make you a good amount of money. This strategy would probably work better at the right 1-2 or 2-4 table but the thing is you need practice in deeper poker because sooner or latter if you keep moving up you will run into a 2-4 table with mostly semipro-ish regs who will know how to deal with short stacks. Even .50-1 isn't toooo tough mostly (but it may happen if you sit down on the wrong table it can be hard) you should be able to play some solid poker and still get paied off decently. Your avoiding parts of your game that need to be developed if you wanna play higher stakes.
meh, plenty of spewy player in .25-.50 so moving down and vbetting spewbots to death will make you a good amount of money. This strategy would probably work better at the right 1-2 or 2-4 table but the thing is you need practice in deeper poker because sooner or latter if you keep moving up you will run into a 2-4 table with mostly semipro-ish regs who will know how to deal with short stacks. Even .50-1 isn't toooo tough mostly (but it may happen if you sit down on the wrong table it can be hard) you should be able to play some solid poker and still get paied off decently. Your avoiding parts of your game that need to be developed if you wanna play higher stakes.
Yeah, I agree to this and I normally don't SS that much....and for the hit and run posters above, I've told you I was just playing out my BB round and I was prepared to leave the table when this hand came up in UTG+1...

At least pot if not shove the turn. You have around 2x the pot at that point and prob around a 4-1 fav so I'd actually shove.As played, I have no clue. C/C or C/F the river depending on what he bets I guess. I'm not a big fan of defensive bets as in side games as they are pretty transparent, I raise them all the time sometimes with complete air and am successful much more than I am not. Plus add to this what are you really ahead of on the river? Pretty much 9-10, 10-J, 10-Q and 10-A off.

I can't find the hand now, but I went to the tank and because of my reads I called, thinking he was bluffing. He only had a bluff catcher, 108s. I wouldn't do this if I was multitabling most likely, but I was just slacking on skype with one table up getting good reads to back up my decision.Mark above to see results.

so you come back at 5:14 AM to advocate shortstackers. wtf are you in prison?
so you come back at 5:14 AM to advocate shortstackers. wtf are you in prison?
:club: I missed you too. Also, I don't sleep; And college kicks my ass.