Time's Top 10 Electric Guitarists

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The Rolling Stones list was terribad. I like Jack White, but putting him in the top ten...? And EVH @ 70 way below Joan Jett?!?!?!?...but that Time list is just stoopid. No EVH and no SRV kills it.
Just went and reviewed the Rolling Stone Top 100 List. I guess Jack White was in the top 20, not top 10. EVH @ 70 and Joan Jett @ 87 not ahead of EVH, but still a strange list. The RS top 10 was:JimiDuane AllmanBB KingEric ClaptonRobert JohnsonChuck BerrySRVRy CooderJimmy PageKeef RichardsAll in all not a horrible Top Ten if you consider "influence" on the art as part of the list of criteria. It is a little skewed towards prior to 1975 players, which they make up for with the 11-20 list.http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/593...ts_of_all_time/
anybody have a link to that concert where he's sharing the stage with a dozen other well known musicians and when it's time for his little spotlight-solo he goes off for like 5 minutes?
you tube while my guitar gently weeps - hall of fame with tom petty et al
What about Django Reinhart?
Fair question. Django certainly influenced a ton of guitarists. But the Time list was "Electric Guitarists" and Django played an acoustic "Gypsy" guitar. There are a lot of "Jazz" players like George Benson and Wes Montgomery who could be considered.

David Gilmour is my favorite to listen to all time. He is not the best, talent wise but his style makes him my favorite. To each his own.Tom Morello definetly belongs on any list. Not sure if someone mentioned he did not belong

Prince, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Johnny Ramone have no business in the top 10. The rest I have no problem with.However where the hell are Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, Tom Morello, and Eric Johnson?

Prince, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Johnny Ramone have no business in the top 10. The rest I have no problem with.However where the hell are Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, Tom Morello, and Eric Johnson?
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p...d=0001434348803There are times watching this video where I literally get chills.I like his jacket too.
David Gilmour is my favorite to listen to all time. He is not the best, talent wise but his style makes him my favorite. To each his own.
DG does a hilarious prince impression.
You have no idea at Prince's guitar ability if you think that. He could very well be the best living guitar player.

A potential top 10 imo would have to be John Mayer. For anyone who's never really heard him do anything other than his early pop stuff.One of my favorite solos of his...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B462-3AhYYkstarts at around 6:34. It's from his Live in LA album which is full of some really excellent guitar playing and awesome muscianship overall from everyone else.Another one...

really nice funky intro.
A potential top 10 imo would have to be John Mayer. For anyone who's never really heard him do anything other than his early pop stuff.One of my favorite solos of his...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B462-3AhYYkstarts at around 6:34. It's from his Live in LA album which is full of some really excellent guitar playing and awesome muscianship overall from everyone else.Another one...
really nice funky intro.
I so wanted to be a Mayer fan. Seriously. I literally wanted him to be my next favorite guitarist. And while that first solo you linked had some tasty parts, he just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if he could just figure out what he wants to be as a guitarist/performer long enough to really nail it. But he has been all over the map from pop to blues and a little R&B without really establishing something new and really groundbreaking in any of them.
You have no idea at Prince's guitar ability if you think that. He could very well be the best living guitar player.
I know how great of a guitarist he is...it's just that I can find 10 people better than he is.
I so wanted to be a Mayer fan. Seriously. I literally wanted him to be my next favorite guitarist. And while that first solo you linked had some tasty parts, he just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if he could just figure out what he wants to be as a guitarist/performer long enough to really nail it. But he has been all over the map from pop to blues and a little R&B without really establishing something new and really groundbreaking in any of them.
I used to be the same way, but when I heard the John Mayer Trio album and Live from LA, I became a fan.I suggest "buying" both of those albums and giving them a listen.
Kurt Cobain would've been lucky to be in the top 10 at open mic night at the local blues bar.
QFT. I can appreciate what he did for music, but when I think of Kurt Cobain great guitar player doesn't come to mind.
dimebag-1.jpg
Great guitarist. I don't know if it's the genre of music he performed or what but he is always way to low on these lists.As far as the main list is concerned not having SRV on the list is a travesty. Slash is really overated and Ramone shouldn't be in the top 50. I'm not real familiar with Malmsteem's music but Satriani would make a nice replacement.
QFT. I can appreciate what he did for music, but when I think of Kurt Cobain great guitar player doesn't come to mind.
Didn't say he was Top 10, just that he's one of my favs.
  • 2 weeks later...
anybody have a link to that concert where he's sharing the stage with a dozen other well known musicians and when it's time for his little spotlight-solo he goes off for like 5 minutes?
Jesus...I had no idea he was that sick on guitar.
Carlos Santana?
I can do a mean air guitar from his Abraxis and Filmore albums. More air bass, actually.