***official New York Yankees Thread***

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh. Damn you, Halloween! So angry I missed most of this game. I went out when it was 3-0 Phillies and feared the worse.But, if nothing else, the Yankees have proved this season that they can rally. 2-1 Yanks, and we have CC coming in (and not against Lee). We win tomorrow, and we at worse only need to take one in the Bronx. Let's hope CC on 3 days rest can get the job done (he has to hit, too). If he can, we're going to be in good shape in this series.

NO 100% dead serious
It was instituted in the middle of last season. They can review fair or foul HRs or check to see if a HR made it over the wall or notDont feel like looking up everything they can review but google it

Wow. Another huge win by the Yankees. CC was pretty good, though I could have done without that last home run. Joba would have been fantastic, you know, if not for that home run that almost made me jump out my window.But we were able to put up three runs off a fantastic at-bat by Damon, an odd steal of second and third by Damon, Teixeira getting hit by a pitch, A-Rod getting a huge RBI, and Posada getting a two run base hit.Poor Lidge. I don't know why they put him in against the Yankees anymore. He hasn't exactly had a great year against us.One more win, and the series is ours.

Not being an expert on strategy, I Would really like to know where the hell the third basemen was.When I saw damon break for third when the guy had the ball right behind him I thoughht WTF.And even tho Im a yankee fan, Im still stunned they are up on philly 3-1.

Btw Ak, I'm glad we can totally forget about arguments in the politics forum here. Ahh baseball: the great...bringer-together of...people.
LOL full agreement here!!
I disagree that Hamels and Pettite are evenly matched.
Obviously you are correct. Pettite was able to battle without his best stuff, from behind and give his team a chance...Hammels went on life tilt with one 3rd strike he thought he should have gotten...sigh.
Not being an expert on strategy, I Would really like to know where the hell the third basemen was.When I saw damon break for third when the guy had the ball right behind him I thoughht WTF.And even tho Im a yankee fan, Im still stunned they are up on philly 3-1.
I thought the Damon steal of 3rd was over rated. Lidge has to throw his slider, period...if carlos doesn't block it you lose but if he deson't throw it you lose anyway.
Teixiera was at the plate. He is a dead pull hitter as a lefty so most teams employ a shift against him. That was the 3rd baseman covering the steal at second. Damon made a very heads up play.....although it didnt really matter much since A-Rod smacked a double off the wall anyway (and Damon would have scored from 2nd easily on it of course).
Teixiera was at the plate. He is a dead pull hitter as a lefty so most teams employ a shift against him. That was the 3rd baseman covering the steal at second. Damon made a very heads up play.....although it didnt really matter much since A-Rod smacked a double off the wall anyway (and Damon would have scored from 2nd easily on it of course).
So overthinking the situation may have cost philly the win?
I thought the Damon steal of 3rd was over rated. Lidge has to throw his slider, period...if carlos doesn't block it you lose but if he deson't throw it you lose anyway.
Well wether he "has to" throw it or not doesnt matter, fact is he didnt throw, and the reason he didnt was Damon being on 3rd. So, no I would not say the steal was overrated.
Damon made an excellent heads up play, but it was more than that, I heard Larry Boa on the radio this morning and apparently he and Damon used to talk about that possibility being available, so he was looking for that. Additionally, you cant say it didnt matter because Arod hit that double ostensibly because he was getting fastballs he wouldnt have gotten had Damon not been there.I HATE pitching Burnett tonight in Game 5!! Should be Gaudin, and AJ at home in Gm 6.
Well wether he "has to" throw it or not doesnt matter, fact is he didnt throw, and the reason he didnt was Damon being on 3rd. So, no I would not say the steal was overrated.
I agree with you that the double steal was a huge play in the game, but the point is that pitch selection trumps a baserunner there, or should have. If you can't trust yourself to throw a slider or 2 and have your catcher keep the runner on third, what are you doing on the mound in the 9th inning of a tied World Series game?

The Damon thing was nice because it altered the way the pitcher had to throw, but the real mistake in the inning was of course hitting Teixeira. Teixeira is the guy you want to go after there since he's been pretty weak in the post season. You should be avoiding at all costs having to face A-Rod, who has been fantastic this post season and has been pretty great in the clutch against Lidge.

I HATE pitching Burnett tonight in Game 5!! Should be Gaudin, and AJ at home in Gm 6.
I'm pretty mixed about it. The Yankee plan is clearly to win it tonight, but my fear is that we're going to end up burning one of our aces against Lee. Losing this game 2-1 doesn't help us.But then again, Gaudin hasn't pitched in a long time, and hasn't started in much longer. I think Girardi fears the unknown. Having them blow out Gaudin and win their last game at home would give them pretty decent momentum coming into the stadium. Right now, they're incredibly beat down, and Girardi is looking to deliver the finishing blow.In my mind, it's a tough call. I can't say I hate putting AJ in there, but I'm not exactly what our plan is for games 6 and 7. Do we put Pettitte in again on short rest, and then CC again for 7? I think that's what Girardi has had in mind all along, and has only been toying with Gaudin for show.

I do not like Burnett going today but Since September 28, Gaudin has only thrown 2.1 innings. Not sure how much I trust him. BUT: If you throw Gaudin out today, you are almost playing w/ house money going up against Lee. If they win, you didn't risk anything but if you lose you have Burnett on full rest in game 6, CC in game 7 with Pettite available in the pen. BUT, then do you want to risk it going to game 7. Im listening to michael kay right now and those are the arguments. Also in the NL Park w/ Burnett pitching the bottom of your order looks like: Cano (been terrible in postseason), Swisher (terrible) Gardner, Molina, Burnett. Meaning you are playing with Jeter, Damon, Arod, Tex as your only good hitters right now

If you can't trust yourself to throw a slider or 2 and have your catcher keep the runner on third, what are you doing on the mound in the 9th inning of a tied World Series game?
Manuel has been unreasonably stubborn in his blind faith of Lidge. Lidge actually shouldn't have been on the roster at all.
Manuel has been unreasonably stubborn in his blind faith of Lidge. Lidge actually shouldn't have been on the roster at all.
A trait Manuel shares with lots of managers concerning veterans who have lost it (a la scioscia-guererro).although guerrero did rather well in the post-season