3rd Annual F C P - W S O P Forum Golf Outing & Poker Thread

there is a very slight chance that i could work out a 2-3 day trip at the last minute, but it's really not likely at all. it's just that i'm starting that job and won't have enough of a tenure to be able to request specific days off without pissing off upper management, etc.i do wish i could pull it off, though. the democrats need to pick up a filibuster-proof majority to save the world in 2010, and BG's vote needs to help the cause.
Don't make me call my buddy's in upper mangament and have a little talk about the new hire upstart and how college has stripped him of the ability to succeed in real life.Do you have an alarm clock now too?I use one when I have an early Tee time, and by early I mean 9ishBut hey, in 30 years you can retire and collect a small pension, and maybe social security if the dems haven't destroyed it. Maybe you can move near my country club and I can leave your name at the gate so you can come by and tell my upper management friends how you wimped out on our rematch.Ohhh.. I has a jobbbbbb..........commie
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be in Phoenix next month 4/13-4/19. Work/play...wife is coming too. Will PM you info etc. Pokah and/or Dindin with you the Mrs and Mrs and Mrs. Mark?
We're in!
I'm sure you have an agenda, but maybe plan on a dinner either Friday the 17th or 18th for sure. I have Fridays off too so maybe you'd be up for a round somewhere? not sure how busy you are or what not, just throwing it out there. I'll let Mark know too in case he doesn't read this. Rob, road trip?
Bah or not if its Fri or Sat night. Since Pat is going to Vegas the weekend before (I can't go its easter) I'm going to go to Commerce the weekend of the 18th.Mark
We're in!Bah or not if its Fri or Sat night. Since Pat is going to Vegas the weekend before (I can't go its easter) I'm going to go to Commerce the weekend of the 18th.Mark
lol.Well...it does not have to be on the weekend! I can go any night. What ever works for the masses, I am in.Thursday night sound good? :club:
What job? Thought you were gonna move.
i'm still moving come august, almost definitely, and we're still probably buying a house wherever we go--i just wasn't really enjoying poker anymore and quit playing full time (though i'll have to play some until i'm out of training, which is only paid minimum wage, blech). i wasn't losing, didn't go broke, just wasn't liking it as much as i liked doing bartending/food service management, so i went back to that (at a cheesecake factory in buffalo, if you care). because of the new job/training shit, i don't think that vegas is doable for me this year is all.i've played a total of 155 hands in 2 weeks, lol.
Don't make me call my buddy's in upper mangament and have a little talk about the new hire upstart and how college has stripped him of the ability to succeed in real life.
i had management basically sucking me off during the interview. they said that if they "forgot to call in two days, [to] please call [them] back." that's good, right? :club: it was all the clothing, obv.
Do you have an alarm clock now too?I use one when I have an early Tee time, and by early I mean 9ish
the interview was at 10am. i nearly died. true story.
But hey, in 30 years you can retire and collect a small pension, and maybe social security if the dems haven't destroyed it. Maybe you can move near my country club and I can leave your name at the gate so you can come by and tell my upper management friends how you wimped out on our rematch.Ohhh.. I has a jobbbbbb..........commie
ultimately, i'd like to own a restaurant and retire in style. that would probably mean living in a place with generally better taste than whatever corner of yuppie hell you live in, cigars or no.you can always visit for a round, i guess.

Hard Rock might be too good to be true. The poker room is awesome, the dealers and waitresses are smokin and the music they play rocks. Seems a bit steep but unless we can get a decent poker room much cheaper....I'd pay the hourly rate for the Hard Rock.

i'm still moving come august, almost definitely, and we're still probably buying a house wherever we go--i just wasn't really enjoying poker anymore and quit playing full time (though i'll have to play some until i'm out of training, which is only paid minimum wage, blech). i wasn't losing, didn't go broke, just wasn't liking it as much as i liked doing bartending/food service management, so i went back to that (at a cheesecake factory in buffalo, if you care). because of the new job/training shit, i don't think that vegas is doable for me this year is all.
Yuck, you like the industry? I mean it's cool for the people sometimes, but man, I hate waiting on customers.
Yuck, you like the industry? I mean it's cool for the people sometimes, but man, I hate waiting on customers.
I loved it when I did it. Checky I'll open a restaurant with you someday. That's always been a goal of mine.Mark
I loved it when I did it. Checky I'll open a restaurant with you someday. That's always been a goal of mine.Mark
I would open one for sure, but waiting tables 4-5 days a week just drains the hell out of me. It's one of the things I would do if I had the money as well. But mostly because I like food/drinks, etc.Though the atmosphere the management gives you has a lot to do with how much the servers enjoy the job. My last place was pretty frustrating, even though I was there longer than any other job.
I miss it every day. I made a great hourly rate and the job is as simple as it gets. So much easier than listening to people groaning about 40% losses in a portfolio they suck at managing.
I miss it every day. I made a great hourly rate and the job is as simple as it gets. So much easier than listening to people groaning about 40% losses in a portfolio they suck at managing.
To be fair, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a job until this current one, which involves sitting here posting most of the time. :club:
ultimately, i'd like to own a restaurant and retire in style. that would probably mean living in a place with generally better taste than whatever corner of yuppie hell you live in, cigars or no.you can always visit for a round, i guess.
I don't know, the restaurants in my area are pretty fat...$30 steaks ala cart are the norm. A good friend of mine opened up an Italian restaurant last year ( bad timing) and is now considering a second location ( I guess it wasn't so bad)But personally, I think the only really profitable restaurants are fast food franchises that you can hire someone else to run and just make passive income.The secret is in buying the location.But you open one, I am there, ready to break you on the all you can eat Taco nights...
I don't know, the restaurants in my area are pretty fat...$30 steaks ala cart are the norm. A good friend of mine opened up an Italian restaurant last year ( bad timing) and is now considering a second location ( I guess it wasn't so bad)But personally, I think the only really profitable restaurants are fast food franchises that you can hire someone else to run and just make passive income.The secret is in buying the location.But you open one, I am there, ready to break you on the all you can eat Taco nights...
mmmm tacos....
nah, restaurants can be quite profitable if you know what you're doing (though i do agree re: location). most managers are just idiots about it, tbh. they waste thousands every week on spoiled leftovers in walk-in fridges, don't know where to cut corners, overstaff instead of understaffing and helping out more often, hiring grounds maintenance companies instead of neighborhood teenagers to cut the grass, etc. more importantly, though, they start off with such crippling loans that they make it impossible to become profitable until they pay them off.the last restaurant i worked at drove me crazy with all the money that they blew on stuff like that.also, no all you can eat taco nights. i said classy, christ. :club:
lol. I knew you were there but I had zero extra time to visit with folks this trip. I was in for a wedding and ended up having to play tour guide/landlord to about 30 family members. It was good times in spite of the inability to get in a serious poker session.I'm sure you have an agenda, but maybe plan on a dinner either Friday the 17th or 18th for sure. I have Fridays off too so maybe you'd be up for a round somewhere? not sure how busy you are or what not, just throwing it out there. I'll let Mark know too in case he doesn't read this. Rob, road trip?
Check your PM
for food?Hmmmm....
First cigar is on me. Looks like we will be breaking bread on Wednesday.
i'm still moving come august, almost definitely, and we're still probably buying a house wherever we go--i just wasn't really enjoying poker anymore and quit playing full time (though i'll have to play some until i'm out of training, which is only paid minimum wage, blech). i wasn't losing, didn't go broke, just wasn't liking it as much as i liked doing bartending/food service management, so i went back to that (at a cheesecake factory in buffalo, if you care). because of the new job/training shit, i don't think that vegas is doable for me this year is all.
Will you be handing out free pieces of those ridic sized pieces of cheesecake when a party of 12 guys come in and play CCR?BTW, the Shepard's pie is awesome.
Quickest way to become a millionaire in the restaurant business?Start with $2 million.
First cigar is on me. Looks like we will be breaking bread on Wednesday.
Keep me in the loop a few days in advance, I can't really commit to much 2 weeks out cause I never know what I am doing

Sorry just checked this thread and saw you guys asking about poker tourney structure. Here is what we came up with collaboratively last year, and I think it was pretty near perfect but, if anything, perhaps erring a bit on the longer side. I think we actually started around 9:30pm (thanks BRAND!) and finished around 1:30am...which may have been a teeny bit late for those playing in the WSOP the next morning, but otherwise it seemed goot. Also, the buy-in was $100+15, and that pretty much gave us the run of the place, which was awesome IMO.Blinds: 20 minutes eachStarting stack: $4000 in chips, no rebuys or add-onsLevels:25/2525/5050/10075/150BREAK—5 minutes100/200/25 (ante)150/300/25200/400/50300/600/50BREAK—5 minutes, color off quarters400/800/100500/1000/100600/1200/200800/1600/2001000/2000/300FYI we had 32 players, so 1st-2nd got the $1500 for WSOP seats, and 3rd got $200. I have a Word doc of copernicus' legal buddy's "contract" we all signed to ensure the winnings agreement was solid, and obviously it was handled well afterwards when Zach destroyed for a nice cash.Regarding this, for those who didn't participate, Zach cashed in an agreed-upon event (he opted for a $1500 limit event, which everyone was more than fine with given the way he luckboxed his way to our NL tourney win) took the $ he won (WTG, Zach!), subtracted a Harrah's-recommended % for taxes, then subtracted the original $1500 win from that, then shared 1% each of the balance with the other 31 guys, which he shipped via FT mobnies. It amounted to $93 or so, so pretty much everyone got back what they paid to enter the private tourney. Some let Zach keep it, some took and lost it they way they usually do, and a couple (like me) micro-parlayed that little bounty to $200+ balance in the 9 months since. BOOYAH!Anyway, hope this helps...and that the event continues even if I can't make it. If someone wants/needs the contract, lemme know and I can send it via email.Peace and good luck!-TP

Sorry just checked this thread and saw you guys asking about poker tourney structure. Here is what we came up with collaboratively last year, and I think it was pretty near perfect but, if anything, perhaps erring a bit on the longer side. I think we actually started around 9:30pm (thanks BRAND!) and finished around 1:30am...which may have been a teeny bit late for those playing in the WSOP the next morning, but otherwise it seemed goot. Also, the buy-in was $100+15, and that pretty much gave us the run of the place, which was awesome IMO.Blinds: 20 minutes eachStarting stack: $4000 in chips, no rebuys or add-onsLevels:25/2525/5050/10075/150BREAK—5 minutes100/200/25 (ante)150/300/25200/400/50300/600/50BREAK—5 minutes, color off quarters400/800/100500/1000/100600/1200/200800/1600/2001000/2000/300FYI we had 32 players, so 1st-2nd got the $1500 for WSOP seats, and 3rd got $200. I have a Word doc of copernicus' legal buddy's "contract" we all signed to ensure the winnings agreement was solid, and obviously it was handled well afterwards when Zach destroyed for a nice cash.Regarding this, for those who didn't participate, Zach cashed in an agreed-upon event (he opted for a $1500 limit event, which everyone was more than fine with given the way he luckboxed his way to our NL tourney win) took the $ he won (WTG, Zach!), subtracted a Harrah's-recommended % for taxes, then subtracted the original $1500 win from that, then shared 1% each of the balance with the other 31 guys, which he shipped via FT mobnies. It amounted to $93 or so, so pretty much everyone got back what they paid to enter the private tourney. Some let Zach keep it, some took and lost it they way they usually do, and a couple (like me) micro-parlayed that little bounty to $200+ balance in the 9 months since. BOOYAH!Anyway, hope this helps...and that the event continues even if I can't make it. If someone wants/needs the contract, lemme know and I can send it via email.Peace and good luck!-TP
Thanks Pots.!
Ok, if I have a job by 25th April I'm in for golf and poker. I need to be in Vegas, this year has been hell.
gl with da job prospects and hope to see you there!got you down as a maybe... :club:
Im still in for poker tourney. I still don't know how to golf.
I've golfed a bunch of scrambles and there's always a handful that don't know how. The format makes it fun for everybody. And I suck very bad too.