"there's No Shame In Going Broke," - Johnny Moss

"There's no shame in going broke" - Johnny Moss  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you gone broke?

• Are you crazy! I don't go broke baby!
    • Only once, (I was drunk/on tilt/personal problems etc.)
    • Twice but I'm still a millionare baby!
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four times
    • Five times
    • Six times
    • Seven times
    • Eight times
    • Nine times
    • Ten times
    • I'm always broke baby! That's how I roll!

R u serious? If you can make a million dollars playing MTTs you can make money playing cash games. There's no way that he "sucks at cash games" as stated above. He may not be as good as some of the other players he plays with, but he does not suck.
if he is not as good as the other players that he is playing with then he is going to lose money playing with them.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he is not as good as the other players that he is playing with then he is going to lose money playing with them.
Oh for fck sake All im saying is that he doesnt suck at cash games! I'm not talking about how often he wins etc. all im saying is that when compared to your average cash game player Phil Hellmuth does not suck. I cant believe its like a ten posts we're debating this stupid point! lol
Oh for fck sake All im saying is that he doesnt suck at cash games! I'm not talking about how often he wins etc. all im saying is that when compared to your average cash game player Phil Hellmuth does not suck. I cant believe its like a ten posts we're debating this stupid point! lol
How are we defining the average cash game player?
How are we defining the average cash game player?
omg just like any random dude that plays poker. You, me, George Bush, who cares? What does this have to do with anything????What really freaks me out is that 70% of you have gone broke at least once. Makes me feel a lot better, thank god for this thread!
omg just like any random dude that plays poker. You, me, George Bush, who cares? What does this have to do with anything????What really freaks me out is that 70% of you have gone broke at least once. Makes me feel a lot better, thank god for this thread!
but is this some party poker guy, somebody who doesn't know the rules? Maybe Phil Hellmuth sucks so much at cash games because he keeps running into idiots who hardly know how to play the game and call with their gutshots and always hit?
but is this some party poker guy, somebody who doesn't know the rules? Maybe Phil Hellmuth sucks so much at cash games because he keeps running into idiots who hardly know how to play the game and call with their gutshots and always hit?
I see what you did here.Let's just ask DN if Phil Hellmuth is any good, he played with him a lot on HSP.

I always seem to be broke, but it is never my fault. I always play the hands correctly, i always seem to catch some crazy bad beat on the river. The proof is in my results...just ask the guys I play with. Really i always have the best hand going in, and i never tilt, am never wrong on my reads, and always play perfect poker. If it wern't for luck i'd be Phil Helmuth!!! :club::ts

In either a $25-$50 NL cash game online and above, or a typical $100-$200 NL game or above live, I'm happy to cross book him because his fundamental approach to playing the game is severely flawed and those weaknesses are easily exploitable by higher limit players. In fact, in the next PAD cash game we are playing, I am cross booking him. I've played various cash games with him over the years and he simply doesn't stand much of a chance against tougher fields. Against weak tournament fields his approach is good, but not in a field where others know what they are doing.

In either a $25-$50 NL cash game online and above, or a typical $100-$200 NL game or above live, I'm happy to cross book him because his fundamental approach to playing the game is severely flawed and those weaknesses are easily exploitable by higher limit players. In fact, in the next PAD cash game we are playing, I am cross booking him. I've played various cash games with him over the years and he simply doesn't stand much of a chance against tougher fields. Against weak tournament fields his approach is good, but not in a field where others know what they are doing.
Can someone explain cross booking? I thought it was taking a piece of each others action, but this sounds like it is something else.
Can someone explain cross booking? I thought it was taking a piece of each others action, but this sounds like it is something else.
I think cross booking is like basically matching whatever they win kinda thing. E.g. If Hellmuth wins 100k, DN owes him 100k, if Hellmuth loses 100k, DN wins 100k (or they could do it for percentages of wins/losses). Sick boy, if you get it in with KK against 56, that is good. It doesn't matter if they flop a straight, you'll win like 75% of the time which is all that matters. You flop a set and get it in against a gut shot, that is also good, you are like an 82% favourite. This is why people are calling you retarded. If you want to win money playing poker, it is better to play against bad players than good players.
Dude, wait, what???lol...Teddy, you actually had a part in what constitutes my "luck". Remember that little tourney we played at Freddy's condo? Fred shoves, I call, Checky calls with odds. I have Fred covered by 200 or so only and Checky was short, I think. We're three way AIPF: Fred flips up 22, Checky has AK and I have QQ. Deuce on the flop kills me. You were dealer. Thanks, bro <sw>Another live one...I have 44, multiway limpage. Flop comes QQ4. After some betting on the flop, I get it all in against one guy (couple of folders). I know he has a Q, his other card is a 2 or 3 (lol...). Turn card? Yep...it's a Q for quads and I'm gone.<sigh>
I was just commentating on your avatar.
I was just commentating on your avatar.
Oh, right...lol. BenHoug thought it was a shout out for him...Don't worry, I don't hold you responsible for that hand, either, but I remember you saying "I feel dirty" after the 2 flopped lol...
Well there it is, lol. Can somebody please tell me his flaws so I can exploit them when Im taking his money at the High Stakes?
Sick boy, if you get it in with KK against 56, that is good. It doesn't matter if they flop a straight, you'll win like 75% of the time which is all that matters. You flop a set and get it in against a gut shot, that is also good, you are like an 82% favourite. This is why people are calling you retarded. If you want to win money playing poker, it is better to play against bad players than good players.
Yes i know I already accepted that I was wrong. Remeber? I called antistuff a bastard. I can tell you however that I would greatly enjoy playing with good players, (as I have done before and won)
I can tell you however that I would greatly enjoy playing with good players, (as I have done before and won)
LOL This is variance.And the problem that a lot of micro stakes players have is they learn solid ABC poker and think, "many these guys are all so bad they just keep sucking out on me because they play any two cards. If only I had a larger bankroll I could play against better players and this wouldn't happen."Well, I can tell you that even in the $5200 main event, there were PLENTY of horrendous players. Not to mention in any of the weekly majors.You need to be able to exploit bad players. But you will never quit getting sucked out on. You need to get better at how you play - that is the only thing in poker that you have control over.By the way, the best players prefer to take money off of bad players than each other. Haven't you seen the high limit tables fill up with 50 people waiting lists every time Steve_Haris sits down?
LOL This is variance.And the problem that a lot of micro stakes players have is they learn solid ABC poker and think, "many these guys are all so bad they just keep sucking out on me because they play any two cards. If only I had a larger bankroll I could play against better players and this wouldn't happen."Well, I can tell you that even in the $5200 main event, there were PLENTY of horrendous players. Not to mention in any of the weekly majors.You need to be able to exploit bad players. But you will never quit getting sucked out on. You need to get better at how you play - that is the only thing in poker that you have control over.By the way, the best players prefer to take money off of bad players than each other. Haven't you seen the high limit tables fill up with 50 people waiting lists every time Steve_Haris sits down?
Im not saying that I dont know how to play bad players. I play bad players very well. I know that High stakes pros prefer to take money of bad players instead of each other, that's ok. I've already agreed to that. Im saying that I would like to play good players. I can play whoever, it really doesnt matter as long as im playing poker.
Im not saying that I dont know how to play bad players. I play bad players very well. I know that High stakes pros prefer to take money of bad players instead of each other, that's ok. I've already agreed to that. Im saying that I would like to play good players. I can play whoever, it really doesnt matter as long as im playing poker.
OK, that's fine. So long as your goal is to play poker, not to win money playing poker.
OK, that's fine. So long as your goal is to play poker, not to win money playing poker.
I can win money playing poker against anyone. As long as I can figure out how they're playing I can take their money. My goal is to win money, but I can win money against all types of players, not jut bad ones.
I can win money playing poker against anyone. As long as I can figure out how they're playing I can take their money. My goal is to win money, but I can win money against all types of players, not jut bad ones.
If you could win money against the good players or top players, you should NEVER be going broke at the micro levels.
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Wow, pretty bold claim. Have you played high stakes?

It's unfortunate that people like that (who are so undeservedly cocky) tend to have so little money.If you can scrounge together a few hundred dollars though, you can find more than enough willing participants to help you try and back up your claim.