"there's No Shame In Going Broke," - Johnny Moss

"There's no shame in going broke" - Johnny Moss  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you gone broke?

• Are you crazy! I don't go broke baby!
    • Only once, (I was drunk/on tilt/personal problems etc.)
    • Twice but I'm still a millionare baby!
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four times
    • Five times
    • Six times
    • Seven times
    • Eight times
    • Nine times
    • Ten times
    • I'm always broke baby! That's how I roll!

I don't know how many times I've been online broke... I would estimate in the 7 - 10 range (I started my online life with the bad cycle of depositing ~$200, playing well over my bankroll at $1/2 NLHE, then rinse and repeat). I have busted my *entire* poker bankroll twice. The first time was just before a move to BC where I knew I would start raking in a large income, so I took a shot and failed. At that time I had ~$200 to my name (before my first pay check). I played a $150 tournament and had a very lucky score... but that story is not appropriate for this thread.At the start of this year, I was once again at $0 in both my online and live bankroll accounts. I had some outside expenses which ended up raping the majority of my bankroll... Once again, I had ~$800 to my name, although this time, I also had some accumulated debt from these outside expenses. I did have a line of credit which I could draw on if needed... but I did *NOT* want to start down that path.The first time I went broke, it was a lucky score which re-energized my savings... The second time, I slowly built my online roll up from $0, swallowing my pride and grinding the microstakes levels for ~3 months... Then I hit my lucky score...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with your mom?
I dono,.just uses me cause Im young and have a job. Im happy just as long as I can keep playing poker..Trying to save up some money to get a BankRoll going again but you know..I cant spend all my time and money on poker so I can only put away a couple of dollars a week and I have to spend the rest on just being a normal kid otherwise I'll be a total outcast at school. (which is no good for anyone. hehe). So that's why Im so pissed about losing my $300 cause now it'll be months before I can get a decent bankroll going again.
I slowly built my online roll up from $0, swallowing my pride and grinding the microstakes levels for ~3 months... Then I hit my lucky score...
God I want one of those so bad! lol. Where's MY "lucky score"! Come on poker gods! HOOK ME UP! I NEED THIS BABY!!! lmao

Losing $100 is no big deal, seriously. You didn't lose your $320 'roll either, withdrawing (regardless of the reason why your withdrawing) is not the same as losing. With playing freerolls and stakes here on FCP, it shouldn't take too long to win $100 (assuming your a good player), like I'd imagine you could do it in 3 months easy on a limited playing schedule.

Micros are very hard. You can see this just by looking at the difference between high stakes MTTs and micro MTTs. You'll notice that within 30min a large percentage of the field in micros is gone, wheres in high stakes it takes ages for illiminations to occur. The average stack in High stakes also goes up much slower than in micro. Micro's are hard to win at consistantly because it becomes very frustrating playing against people who probably dont even know the rules, much less advanced strategy.
can i play high stakes MTTs against micros players pretty plleeeaseee???you really might wanna rethink this.
Losing $100 is no big deal, seriously. You didn't lose your $320 'roll either, withdrawing (regardless of the reason why your withdrawing) is not the same as losing. With playing freerolls and stakes here on FCP, it shouldn't take too long to win $100 (assuming your a good player), like I'd imagine you could do it in 3 months easy on a limited playing schedule.
It depends how you look at it. $100 may not mean that much to you but I only earn $250 a week, so to me that's A LOT of money. But I get what you mean, it's not that much.
Oh yeah, you should def read this thread buddy.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...c=121895&hl=it WILL put things into perspective
You are a sick human being.
can i play high stakes MTTs against micros players pretty plleeeaseee???you really might wanna rethink this.
You know I would really much rather be playing good players than donks. But that's just me, lol

No clue what this thread is about, but (Edited for drunk posts)Edit: Was a lil drunk, I think I was mad at him from that quote thread cause he said something stupid. Although that might've been Amarillo, yeah, I think it was. Oh well.

You know I would really much rather be playing good players than donks. But that's just me, lol
you're right, its just you.i think a lot of times when people say this what they really mean is "i want to play where i can bet and raise with impunity and everybody will just do whatever i want them to every time." you can't win playing against good players unless you are better than them, but then doesn't that make them donks?

three times, twice since i started playing full time.the first time, i went from a 20k roll to 700 and that was largely due to a bad run getting in my head and leading me to play very, very poorly. some friends of mine that were also regs in the LHE game i played actually took the time to send me emails to ask me if everything was ok, lol. i guess 700 isn't "busto," but it basically was to me, although i did grind out of that all on my own.the second time wasn't really my "fault," per se, since personal issues had caused me to take two months off and i came back to a terrible run. i made a conscious decision to play shortrolled for a while, since the alternative was going back to being a semi-pro and i didn't want to do that. but sure enough, i continued to run bad and went busto. i managed to luckbox my way into some money outside of poker, though, and was back on my feet pretty quickly.the third time, i was again forced to play very light months for an extended period of time, then the wsop came around, and vegas is an expensive place to be on a comparatively short roll. i actually won money at the tables in vegas over the month, but expenses were so high that i came home this july basically busto again. but i got staked again, and just got off the stake this past week while paying bills and a backer for a few months.the latter two times have a lot to do with the fact that i'm playing full time on a 3-6k roll, and that a bad run can knock me down to zero easier than it can most people. i wouldn't recommend anyone else doing what i'm doing, since doubling your bankroll every month to pay bills is somewhat, uh, difficult, nor would i do the same thing if i had others that depended on me financially, but for now, the benefits of the lifestyle outweigh the costs. if i'm not back to 20/40 or higher in a year or two, i'll probably be getting a job before i even think about kids.

you're right, its just you.i think a lot of times when people say this what they really mean is "i want to play where i can bet and raise with impunity and everybody will just do whatever i want them to every time." you can't win playing against good players unless you are better than them, but then doesn't that make them donks?
A donk is a player who has no idea what is going on in a poker hand. e.g. I raise with a set, he comes over the top all in, I call, he has a gutshot and hits.Or: 1st hand of $3.40 SNG, i raise 3x BB with KK, guy comes over the top all in with 56 and flops a straight. When I say "I want to play against good players" i mean that I dont want to play against a bunch of Loose donkeys who have no idea what they're doing. I'd rather play against players who understand simple concepts of the game. So even if they do outplay me and I lose, at least I lose playing poker, not the fcking lottery.
Please nooooooo!Those poor kids wouldn't have a chance!
:Pi'm halfway back to 20/40 already (well, stakeswise, anyway), so you can smd, raymond. i'll also have you know that feminine men like me make great ****ing dads.
if i'm not back to 20/40 or higher in a year or two, i'll probably be getting a job before i even think about kids.
God i hope you make it! Good luck. My day will be slightly better the day I hear that your roll is 20/40.
:Pi'm halfway back to 20/40 already (well, stakeswise, anyway), so you can smd, raymond. i'll also have you know that feminine men like me make great ****ing dads.
It takes a real man to admit to being "feminine".lmao
then, somewhat ironically, i am the manliest man you know.
This comment completely disproves my entire theory therfore proving that you are in fact, the womanlist man I know.
A donk is a player who has no idea what is going on in a poker hand. e.g. I raise with a set, he comes over the top all in, I call, he has a gutshot and hits.Or: 1st hand of $3.40 SNG, i raise 3x BB with KK, guy comes over the top all in with 56 and flops a straight. When I say "I want to play against good players" i mean that I dont want to play against a bunch of Loose donkeys who have no idea what they're doing. I'd rather play against players who understand simple concepts of the game. So even if they do outplay me and I lose, at least I lose playing poker, not the fcking lottery.
unless you play for entertainment and find it fun and challenging to play against good players your thinking is very, very, very flawed. playing with loose donkeys is hardly the lottery, its more like a broken atm machine that spits out $20 bills all day long.
unless you play for entertainment and find it fun and challenging to play against good players your thinking is very, very, very flawed. playing with loose donkeys is hardly the lottery, its more like a broken atm machine that spits out $20 bills all day long.
FYPPet peeve of mine :club:
IF you had to choose between playing $100/$200 ring games with the likes of DN/Hellmuth/Matusow/Ivey/Lindgrin and playing 0.02/0.05 games against a whole bunch of donkeys, what would you do? This is the point im trying to make.
IF you had to choose between playing $100/$200 ring games with the likes of DN/Hellmuth/Matusow/Ivey/Lindgrin and playing 0.02/0.05 games against a whole bunch of donkeys, what would you do? This is the point im trying to make.
i play poker to make money, so i wouldn't play in either of those games.
Well since my arse would probably be hurting to bad from getting raped in the 100/200 game I'll take the "donkey" game bob...... Take Hellmuth off that table buddy, he sucks at cash games.