"there's No Shame In Going Broke," - Johnny Moss

"There's no shame in going broke" - Johnny Moss  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you gone broke?

• Are you crazy! I don't go broke baby!
    • Only once, (I was drunk/on tilt/personal problems etc.)
    • Twice but I'm still a millionare baby!
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four times
    • Five times
    • Six times
    • Seven times
    • Eight times
    • Nine times
    • Ten times
    • I'm always broke baby! That's how I roll!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put "Always broke" because that sims it up pretty good...Why? Tilt may be a factor. BR management is certainly a factor. Overall, I'd have to pull a Hellmuth and state that if about 10 hands, over the past couple of years, had held up in key spots, I'd have a BR of over 20K. Instead, I get sucked out on with the best hand often enough that it has really put a dent in my confidence and $$$ availability.For example, a few months ago in the Sunday Mil, I sat'd in and was up to 113Kand about 200 away from the bubble. I get QQ and raise it up 2.7x BB, get called by BB and some other guy. Flop comes JJ6, two hearts. I C-bet 8K (pot is 14100) and I get one fold and one caller. Turn is a 8, so I lead 8K, get min raised to 16K, I call. River is a 6. Yes, the min raise off the turn should have tipped me off to something here and all the chips go in and of course ****o has 88 for a set. This is a standard "Mercury69 is doing well, so we'd better have a loose player cooler his ass ASAP".No opponent ever seems to be drawing dead against me. My big PP's are cracked by sets, str8s and two pairs. My sets are cracked by str8s and flushes, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.I am ****ing sick of it and wondering when I'm going to get a ****ing break from the variance...PS: Don't be an ass if you respond to my post. It's frustrating enough having to deal with what I'm going through without having someone nitpick and tell me I can't/shouldn't bitch about luck.

Well, no offense, but you're kind of a relic. With multi-tabling, internet pros have figured out a way to make a good living on a smaller bankroll, without so much risk of ruin. It's a (less) brave new world. Gamble gamble.
Depends i think. There's always the urge to move up in stakes. interesting to see how many internet pros have gone broke though.
I put "Always broke" because that sims it up pretty good...Why? Tilt may be a factor. BR management is certainly a factor. Overall, I'd have to pull a Hellmuth and state that if about 10 hands, over the past couple of years, had held up in key spots, I'd have a BR of over 20K. Instead, I get sucked out on with the best hand often enough that it has really put a dent in my confidence and $$$ availability.For example, a few months ago in the Sunday Mil, I sat'd in and was up to 113Kand about 200 away from the bubble. I get QQ and raise it up 2.7x BB, get called by BB and some other guy. Flop comes JJ6, two hearts. I C-bet 8K (pot is 14100) and I get one fold and one caller. Turn is a 8, so I lead 8K, get min raised to 16K, I call. River is a 6. Yes, the min raise off the turn should have tipped me off to something here and all the chips go in and of course ****o has 88 for a set. This is a standard "Mercury69 is doing well, so we'd better have a loose player cooler his ass ASAP".No opponent ever seems to be drawing dead against me. My big PP's are cracked by sets, str8s and two pairs. My sets are cracked by str8s and flushes, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.I am ****ing sick of it and wondering when I'm going to get a ****ing break from the variance...PS: Don't be an ass if you respond to my post. It's frustrating enough having to deal with what I'm going through without having someone nitpick and tell me I can't/shouldn't bitch about luck.
Same sort of stuff happens to me, I will flop a monster and bet and get raised all in by someone who is well behind and I call and start moving towards the edge of my seat saying here goes a bad beat and my wife is like what are you worried for you have the better hand and I reply just wait and watch the runners hit! I'LL CUT THE LEGS OFF OF ALL THOSE DAMN RUNNERS! She says "why did that guy go all-in?" Honey, I have no idea guess he saw them coming. But yeah I feel your pain and can relate.

I've gone broke about 5 maybe 6 times. Basically the same as most, depositing small amounts until I learned to play. My sharkscope graph pretty much tells the story. One day you just decide to get better rather than just blowing money. And fwiw, I still play micro/low stakes. And like fargopoker said, br management ftw.

i dont consider losing your $100 deposit going broke. when you are out of action becouse you have lost an amount of money that you cannot easily replace, that is going broke.
Good point. I've never gone "broke", just ran out of money in my account.
Same sort of stuff happens to me, I will flop a monster and bet and get raised all in by someone who is well behind and I call and start moving towards the edge of my seat saying here goes a bad beat and my wife is like what are you worried for you have the better hand and I reply just wait and watch the runners hit! I'LL CUT THE LEGS OFF OF ALL THOSE DAMN RUNNERS! She says "why did that guy go all-in?" Honey, I have no idea guess he saw them coming. But yeah I feel your pain and can relate.
Thanks, bud. I know I have company, but I wish we didn't have to watch these idiots suck out on us...
Thanks, bud. I know I have company, but I wish we didn't have to watch these idiots suck out on us...
BENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
I had to withdraw like $200 to pay for my moms bills ... Just remeber what Johnny Moss said, "There's no shame in going broke".
Don't take this wrong, but I'm sorry your mom is a deadbeat. And I think you should be beating the micros harder.
You listed all those options and not one that it accurate for me? You should have one option that says "over 20 times" and I'd be that guy. As would Doyle, and many other pros I know.
I think this is a really interesting comment. And it's interesting that he was reading and chose this thread to respond to.

I think it's a lot less accceptable for a serious player to go broke in the modern poker environment than it was 20 years ago. It's so much easier to progress through the stakes so much faster with online poker that you dont ever really need to take those big risks.

BENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Dude, wait, what???lol...Teddy, you actually had a part in what constitutes my "luck". Remember that little tourney we played at Freddy's condo? Fred shoves, I call, Checky calls with odds. I have Fred covered by 200 or so only and Checky was short, I think. We're three way AIPF: Fred flips up 22, Checky has AK and I have QQ. Deuce on the flop kills me. You were dealer. Thanks, bro <sw>Another live one...I have 44, multiway limpage. Flop comes QQ4. After some betting on the flop, I get it all in against one guy (couple of folders). I know he has a Q, his other card is a 2 or 3 (lol...). Turn card? Yep...it's a Q for quads and I'm gone.<sigh>

I'm more of a live player, and no I have never gone "broke" I have a job.To OP it sounds like you have no money to your nameIf you have steady income coming in you shouldn't be broke, so get a job.

interesting how the top 2 choices are never gone broke and always broke.also wonder whot the 2 millionares are that have gone broke twice? I'm guessing Al smooth and Balloon guy. Can't think of any other millionaires on here besides DN.

You listed all those options and not one that it accurate for me? You should have one option that says "over 20 times" and I'd be that guy. As would Doyle, and many other pros I know.
wow Thanks for the response Daniel. You've brought up a very good point that never occured to me before. I couldn't imagine going broke 20 times or more but apparantly since a player of your skill tells me it happens then it must be true. It reminds of that Karas guy, he made like $40mil gambling within a year or two, then he lost ALL OF IT. That i just find hard to imagine. I find it hard to imagine losing 1mil! Even 100k I cant imagine losing. As a matter a fact i cant even imagine losing 1k, which is why losing my precious $300 hurt me so much. But then again I am young and naive about alot of things, and lets face it, poker is gambling. So I guess it is possible. Did you seriously lose your entire bankroll more than 20 times? Wow I guess that's why you discourage a lot of players from going pro, trully amazing.
To me it'd make more sense to take your shot at the start rather than after youve spent months rebuilding
No man I was happy grinding it out becuase I was doing really well and I'd probably be well over $400 by now because Im getting really good at the MTTs and the PLO cash games. For MTTs ive got a strategy that usually takes me well into the money and I just need to get lucky one time at a critical point to go all the way and TID. The only reason I tilted off my bankroll is because I lost 2 thirds of it to my mom and it drove me crazy that I had to sacrifice that. But now I realise I shoulda kept grinding instead of doing a Mike Matusow.
This statement hints at something not exactly true. Beating the micros is often really a challange due to the high rake. I worked my way up from micro stakes (still a low stakes player) and can tell you that at the lowest levels the rake can be as much as 10%. It is very difficult to beat the lowest stakes games.
Micros are very hard. You can see this just by looking at the difference between high stakes MTTs and micro MTTs. You'll notice that within 30min a large percentage of the field in micros is gone, wheres in high stakes it takes ages for illiminations to occur. The average stack in High stakes also goes up much slower than in micro. Micro's are hard to win at consistantly because it becomes very frustrating playing against people who probably dont even know the rules, much less advanced strategy.
Depends on what you mean by broke. I don't play poker for a living so I never consider what I have on stars or tilt at any one time to be my "roll'. So if I have to redeposit, I don't think of it as going broke.
When I say "going broke" i mean you dont have anymore money to play poker.
Depends i think. There's always the urge to move up in stakes. interesting to see how many internet pros have gone broke though.
What i'd find interesting to see is how many internet pros took a shot that paid of.
Don't take this wrong, but I'm sorry your mom is a deadbeat.
Yes she is. but she's still my mom...{sigh}
To OP it sounds like you have no money to your nameIf you have steady income coming in you shouldn't be broke, so get a job.
I work two part time jobs as well as going to school. Most of my money however goes to my mom. I only get like $20 a week to spend on myself out of the $250 that I earn.
I work two part time jobs as well as going to school. Most of my money however goes to my mom. I only get like $20 a week to spend on myself out of the $250 that I earn.
Don't give up, kiddo! Best wishes...