Bristol Palin Pregnant @ 17

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of the comments on the story:"Good for her, at least she is not compounding her mistake, by having an abortion. I am sure that is what the left would love.She is taking responsibility for her actions. What a refreshing change! Must drive the left crazy though!! lol!"I can't figure out if this guy was serious or not. He's either Copernicus's twin brother or gets a 2/10 troll rating.

I feel really sorry for the poor girl. Her mother's political ambitions have now put her unwed, teenage pregnancy into the international news. Just when she will probably need her mother the most, her mother will be moving out of state -- first to hit the campaign trail, and then to Washington.The Palins have 2 special needs children -- 1 a newborn with a serious chromosomal abnormality that will need lots of special attention and the other a 17 year old with a life-altering crisis.It's hard to believe this Vice Presidential bid is in the best interest of this family.

I feel really sorry for the poor girl. Her mother's political ambitions have now put her unwed, teenage pregnancy into the international news. Just when she will probably need her mother the most, her mother will be moving out of state -- first to hit the campaign trail, and then to Washington.The Palins have 2 special needs children -- 1 a newborn with a serious chromosomal abnormality that will need lots of special attention and the other a 17 year old with a life-altering crisis.It's hard to believe this Vice Presidential bid is in the interest of this family.
So I guess a Woman can't be a good mother and have High Aspirations. Long Live Feminism. If their roles were reversed and the Male parent was running for office would you question his parenting?Bristol is 17 and will marry the father of her child. Perhaps Sarah and the family know that Todd Palin can be expected to support his wife and Family? Nah, you're clearly better positioned to judge her worth as a Mother.

This can only help, oddly enough. Millions of families go through this and will be sympathetic to their situationI wonder if Obama will look at her and thank God that his daughter isn't being 'punished by an un planned child'. :club:

Teenagers have sex and get pregnant, not a big deal.What is actually the more concerning issue is the fact that she says she is going to marry the Father. Rushing into a marriage at 17 just because you are having a baby usually isn't a good idea.

This can only help, oddly enough. Millions of families go through this and will be sympathetic to their situationI wonder if Obama will look at her and thank God that his daughter isn't being 'punished by an un planned child'. :club:
Wow, I forgot that statement. It was ill-considered at the time, but now becomes a very strong issue in the values debate.
Teenagers have sex and get pregnant, not a big deal.What is actually the more concerning issue is the fact that she says she is going to marry the Father. Rushing into a marriage at 17 just because you are having a baby usually isn't a good idea.
What's not a good idea is touting the family and christian values like she does and NOT having her daughter marry before the child is born.
Teen moms are tragic. I've seen it so many times (my wife's niece) the pain, hardships, the missed 'growing up' opportunities, etc. But many rise through it and go on to have great lives.And the babies are always awesome!I give Palin's daughter points for at least trying to legitimize the situation and for not aborting the child, but i will agree that 17 year old newlyweds have a very low chance of long term success. Still, so many others are also going thru this that I think they will gain some sympathy votes for sure.
I give Palin's daughter points for at least trying to legitimize the situation and for not aborting the child, but i will agree that 17 year old newlyweds have a very low chance of long term success.
As vbnautilus did in his life expectancy statistics, you are likely to be generalizing too much by projecting nationwide statistics onto a more specific subgroup. Divorce rates have socio-economic/religious/cultural underpinnings, and would suspect that a couple consisting of native Alaskans with (presumably, I dont know anything about the father) the apparent Palin family values has a far greater chance of success than average.
Still, so many others are also going thru this that I think they will gain some sympathy votes for sure.
I mean, it's clear whose side you are one, but seriously?? She will lose more votes than she gains AINEC. Take a look at the statistics of underage mothers. Pretty sure less than .000001% are going to be giving any sympathy votes with who their candidate is.
I mean, it's clear whose side you are one, but seriously?? She will lose more votes than she gains AINEC. Take a look at the statistics of underage mothers. Pretty sure less than .000001% are going to be giving any sympathy votes with who their candidate is.
It is "even close" because 0 either way is still 0. this will be a total non-issue in the election, as it should be.
So I guess a Woman can't be a good mother and have High Aspirations. Long Live Feminism. If their roles were reversed and the Male parent was running for office would you question his parenting?Bristol is 17 and will marry the father of her child. Perhaps Sarah and the family know that Todd Palin can be expected to support his wife and Family? Nah, you're clearly better positioned to judge her worth as a Mother.
I am a woman. I am also a nurse who works alongside fellow nurses who are working mothers every day. I specialize in Maternal-Child nursing and have a PhD (with my Master's Degree focused on my maternal-child specialty). I have spent 30 years working as a colleague and a care-giver to families having difficult pregnancies and children with special needs.My opinions are not those of some knuckle-walking male who thinks "women should be kept at home" and not aspire to successful, powerful, and high-profile careers. But my many years of experience has taught me that there is an appropriate time and place for everything.I feel sorry for these children -- and am concerned for their well-being.Bristol's pregnancy is not the big deal for me. Teenagers have sex and get pregnant every day. Her mother's putting it into the spotlight and making it a topic of national interest is. The fact that her mother didn't "control the story" by explaining it first, but rather waited until the story broke in a messy sort of way indicates poor judgement. etc.I would say the same thing if the parent voluntarily putting them under such stress were a man. A man should not do that to his children, either.

I wonder if this will change Palin's support for abstinence-only education. Even in the best of families, kids will be kids. Although it should be the parent's responsibility to educate their children about these matters, it's obvious that in some family structures or lack of family structure, this will not take place. Adding in contraception education and sex-education programs would be a way to cover this gap.

Most correct and honest response I've heard so far
It is "even close" because 0 either way is still 0. this will be a total non-issue in the election, as it should be.
Wait a minute. You would think that one of the reasons McCain would pick Palin is to get the wacky religious right off the couch to vote, but having a 17 year old pregnant unmarried daughter is not going to affect their outlook on the Palin clan? You can't have it both ways.
Wait a minute. You would think that one of the reasons McCain would pick Palin is to get the wacky religious right off the couch to vote, but having a 17 year old pregnant unmarried daughter is not going to affect their outlook on the Palin clan? You can't have it both ways.
You underestimate the wacky religious. As long as Palin touts all the crap that they want to hear, they will conveniently overlook a pregnant 17 year old daughter in her case. They wouldn't do it for anyone else, but they'll do it for her because she says the right things.