• 2 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a standard for closers, a la 500 homeruns and 300 victories.Something like 400 saves.1 Trevor Hoffman 5752 Mariano Rivera 5073 Lee Smith 4784 John Franco 4245 Dennis Eckersley 3906 Billy Wagner 3857 Jeff Reardon 3678 Troy Percival 3589 Randy Myers 347

There should be a standard for closers, a la 500 homeruns and 300 victories.Something like 400 saves.1 Trevor Hoffman 5752 Mariano Rivera 5073 Lee Smith 4784 John Franco 4245 Dennis Eckersley 3906 Billy Wagner 3857 Jeff Reardon 3678 Troy Percival 3589 Randy Myers 347
In a game filled with overrated statistics, I think the save is the most overrated one. I think closers should be judged on other statistical measures besides saves.
In a game filled with overrated statistics, I think the save is the most overrated one. I think closers should be judged on other statistical measures besides saves.
Agree with that, but like what?To get to 400 saves would require an average of 33+ saves for 12 years, (at least that's one way). Seems pretty Hall of Famish to me.
Agree with that, but like what?To get to 400 saves would require an average of 33+ saves for 12 years, (at least that's one way). Seems pretty Hall of Famish to me.
think saves count but obviously you need a stat for great closers playing on crappy teams. maybe min. innings pitched and ERA?

Will Clark should be in, but he will never get enough votes.I've got a good one, Jeff Kent. Does he deserve to get in?

Will Clark should be in, but he will never get enough votes.
LOL silly giants fan
I've got a good one, Jeff Kent. Does he deserve to get in?
Considering the way he hit at the position he played? Absolutely.
Will Clark should be in, but he will never get enough votes.
You're thinking of the 'Hicks of Fame.' Today was really all about 1 person...Ricky baby!! I'll be at the A's/Toronto game this coming Saturday for the A's tribute to Ricky...can't wait!
You're thinking of the 'Hicks of Fame.' Today was really all about 1 person...Ricky baby!! I'll be at the A's/Toronto game this coming Saturday for the A's tribute to Ricky...can't wait!
I think rickey is like a super hall of famer, like the top of the top, in the all time outfield maybe even.
I think rickey is like a super hall of famer, like the top of the top, in the all time outfield maybe even.
If you were making an all time team in a practical way, you would almost have to include Rickey. He is the prototype for a leadoff hitter. High OBP, best base runner of all time, even occasional power for fun.The only way I would leave him off is if I decided to make Cobb the leadoff hitter instead. But I dont know what Ty's stance was on referring to himself in the third person. Crucial info.Rickey gets underestimated because he was such a clown and because he hung on way way too long. Makes people forget what a special player he was.Oh, and Will Clark was my favorite player when I was little (I did not know he was kind of a prick at the time) but NO WAY he deserves to be in the HoF. no way.
If you were making an all time team in a practical way, you would almost have to include Rickey. He is the prototype for a leadoff hitter. High OBP, best base runner of all time, even occasional power for fun.The only way I would leave him off is if I decided to make Cobb the leadoff hitter instead. But I dont know what Ty's stance was on referring to himself in the third person. Crucial info.Rickey gets underestimated because he was such a clown and because he hung on way way too long. Makes people forget what a special player he was.Oh, and Will Clark was my favorite player when I was little (I did not know he was kind of a prick at the time) but NO WAY he deserves to be in the HoF. no way.
His 1990 season is insane, and might be the best fantasy baseball season of any player ever, I'm so proud of baseball writers for voting him MVP.. Check it out..Things that are starred are leading the league..Runs 119* doubles 33 hrs 28 RBI 61 ( for a lead off hitter? LOL) SB 65 * BB 97 BA 325 OBP 439 * slugging 577 (WTF?) OPS 1.016* (WTF?) OPS+ 188* The type of OPS' the guy would put up, as a lead off hitter, were unreal Here's a snippet from a Joe Posnanski in Rickey's wiki, that made me just shake my head when I thought about it..
"I’m about to give you one of my all-time favorite statistics: Rickey Henderson walked 796 times in his career LEADING OFF AN INNING. Think about this again. There would be nothing, absolutely nothing, a pitcher would want to avoid more than walking Rickey Henderson to lead off an inning. And yet he walked SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY SIX times to lead off an inning. He walked more times just leading off in an inning than Lou Brock, Roberto Clemente, Luis Aparicio, Ernie Banks, Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg and more than 50 other Hall of Famers walked in their entire careers...I simply cannot imagine a baseball statistic more staggering."[94]
Oh, and Will Clark was my favorite player when I was little (I did not know he was kind of a prick at the time) but NO WAY he deserves to be in the HoF. no way.
meh, you guys are right. :club: pretty good stats tho.lifetime 303 avg, 2100+ hits, 282 homeruns, lifetime 880 ops, 1100+ rbis, lifetime 440 doubles, plus that epic grand slam in game 1 of the 1989 NLCS @ the cubs. I am biased though because he is my favorite Giant ever. I grew up worshiping the guy. :)Sportsmack, Rickey was and still IS the man. :ts his speech had me cracking up.
meh, you guys are right. :club: pretty good stats tho.lifetime 303 avg, 2100+ hits, 282 homeruns, lifetime 880 ops, 1100+ rbis, lifetime 440 doubles, plus that epic grand slam in game 1 of the 1989 NLCS @ the cubs. I am biased though because he is my favorite Giant ever. I grew up worshiping the guy. :)Sportsmack, Rickey was and still IS the man. :ts his speech had me cracking up.
yeah, I'm a big Mark Grace guy too. He has the most hits ( and I think doubles) of the 90's, but it doesn't mean I think he's an HOFer. And rickey is god. That speech was truly HOF.
yeah, I'm a big Mark Grace guy too. He has the most hits ( and I think doubles) of the 90's, but it doesn't mean I think he's an HOFer.
He gets in for inventing the term 'slump buster' alone.
And rickey is god. That speech was truly HOF.
I just heard that Rickey actually went to Laney college in Oakland and practiced his speech on a speech class and had them critique it...simply awesome.
  • 5 months later...
Any love out there for Bert Blyleven?
Comes up just five votes short (got 400, need 405). Has two more chances.
How about Roberto Alomar?
Eight votes short on first try.Andre Dawson is the only person elected this year (on his 9th try).Sports Guy: I thought Andre Dawson deserved to make it this year over the other 8 years. He had an underrated 2008 season.

ANDRE GODSON!!!!! My favorite all time player.. the way he came to the cubs was so epic... he was the MAN of those teams. I never thought he'd make the hall of fame, because his stats just aren't quite there (his OBP is particularly poor), and since he'd missed getting in so many times, I didn't see that he'd ever get it.....But.....I think he's probably a statement player... one of the last great pre-steroid era players.. it's a complete fraud that he gets in and Mark McGuire doesn't, but the votes want to send a message or something retarded.

ANDRE GODSON!!!!! My favorite all time player.. the way he came to the cubs was so epic... he was the MAN of those teams. I never thought he'd make the hall of fame, because his stats just aren't quite there (his OBP is particularly poor), and since he'd missed getting in so many times, I didn't see that he'd ever get it.....
You know your franchise is lacking history when.......I received an email today from FloridaMarlins.com letting me know that former Marlin great Andre Dawson had been voted into the Hall of Fame. Yeah, former Marlin great, jackasses. He was a Cub who spent his last two years as a shell of his former self playing in Miami. Hilarious.(I believe he spent some time in Montreal too, right?)
if Montreal was still a franchise, he might have gone into the hall as an expo. His best all around years were in Montreal.
So many great players spent their very early years in Montreal. I always liked going to games there. Not too many stadiums sell crepes.
So many great players spent their very early years in Montreal. I always liked going to games there. Not too many stadiums sell crepes.
One of my best baseball experiences were a few games I went to see in Montreal. Got some poutine, Vlad hit 2 bombs, Colon hit 100mph frequently, and it was my last chance to see Mo Vaughn play.
[blyleven] Comes up just five votes short (got 400, need 405). Has two more chances.[alomar] Eight votes short on first try.
So they'll both definitely get in next year.P.S. Andre Dawson is as much a Red Sock as he is a Marlin, and I honestly just had to look him up to make sure I didn't invent the fact that he was on the Sox for a season+ (I didn't). LOL @ Marlins great. He literally had less than 300 at bats as a Marlin.
So they'll both definitely get in next year.P.S. Andre Dawson is as much a Red Sock as he is a Marlin, and I honestly just had to look him up to make sure I didn't invent the fact that he was on the Sox for a season+ (I didn't). LOL @ Marlins great. He literally had less than 300 at bats as a Marlin.
He was a bench coach there for a while, I'm pretty sure.
He was a bench coach there for a while, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, and it would have been fine for them to celebrate that. It was the phrase "Marlins great" that slayed me.Seriously, Marlins front office people, you generally do a great job of putting low cost-high reward teams on the field. You don't need to pretend Andre Dawson was a Marlins great.