The Official Royal Oak Fearsome Beavers Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR

I like how Dale is just going to make both of our lineups for our game tonight.

Im pretty sure if we ask, Dale would run the whole FCHL for us, set lineups, make trades, free agent pickups....

honestly I didn't even consider hossa as re-signable.hmmhis pricetag really sucks.
It is borderline... I certainly wouldn't trade for a $15 Hossa with the purpose of locking him up but if he was already on my roster?
Through many of our dealings you have made many remarks that can be taken as snide comments about my prospects and my drafting abilities. That makes you come off as someone who thinks they know more than the other guy. Maybe you do but I do not think my farm is in anyway worse than yours. We can see in 5 years though if you wish, again, I am confident that I have a solid group of kids with potential.
I'm pretty sure I would swap farms with you. Though, maybe not when I had Benn, Niskanen and Wilson. I seem to remember complimenting your drafting abilities, but perhaps the comments came off as sarcastic, in which case I probably sounded like a giant *******. That was not intended - I think you made some mistakes in the 2008 draft, but did very well to grab Abeldaker, and had a very shrewd 2009 draft.
honestly I didn't even consider hossa as re-signable.hmmhis pricetag really sucks.
at $15 a year, playing with Toews and Kane? Seems like a good deal. Now, if he is $18 per year, and/or doesn't come back from his injury at 100%, could be a huge albatross.

So far I am happy I made the trade with Jay. I had actually told him the day before the trade went through that I decided to pull out of the deal. Then the next day I talked myself back into it.Arnott has scored 4 goals in 3 FCHL games and that has helped me go 3-1 since the trade. If he keeps this up I can get into the race and maybe gets something decent come the deadline.Sadly for Jay Moulson has had 1 FCHL goal. But his team doesn't need him that much. Once Hosser returns I will be regretting it.

• 9 months later...

Interesting to see how the team looks today as compared to the first game of the ROFB. Brunnstrom, Fabian 2 Burrows, Alexandre 1.25 Samsonov, Sergei 1 Umberger, RJ 1 Stoll, Jarret 1.5 Vrbata, Radim 1 Plekanec, Tomas 1 Bernier, Steve 1.50 Lisin, Enver 1 Pouliot, Benoit 0.75 Brouwer, Troy 0.25 Hecht, Jochen 0.25 Little, Bryan 0.5 Staal, Marc 1 Daley, Trevor 1.25 Beauchemin, Francois 1 Weber, Yannick 1 Colaiacovo, Carlo 0.25 Commodore, Mike 0.5 Carolina Hurricanes 1.5 Tampa Bay Lightning 0.25 RFA's that I can sign. Looking to only sign McCabe unless I can move himArnott, Jason RFA Bertuzzi, Todd RFA Sykora, Petr RFA McCabe, Bryan RFA Picard, Alexandre RFA 21 players signed (28 max/25 min)Cap Space Available: $57.25Committed Cap: $21.75Available Cap for FA Draft: $35.50I had a lot more cap but I traded it away. There are some big players to be had like Marleau and Ovechkin but I knew I wasn't going to compete this year so I set myself up a but better for the big FA draft in 12/13 when the FA pool is going to be juicy. But I should be able to get one decent F and D man this draft and I have $67 in cap to pay raises and such next year and then $77.25 for 12/13. Hopefully a few of my farm team players will be ready for callup as well.Farm Team:Schroeder, Jordan Nemisz, Greg Beach, Kyle Ennis, Tyler Ashton, Carter Rodin, Anton Regin, Peter Budish, Zach Abdelkader, Justin Maxwell, Ben Toews, David Moore, John Rundblad, DavidGragnani, Marc-Andre Robak, Colby

I should keep track of scoring in the FCHL to illustrate how stupid our farm system rules are. it's going to be a steady downward slope until 12/13, when we bring up all our kids from the farm and try to win.

I should keep track of scoring in the FCHL to illustrate how stupid our farm system rules are. it's going to be a steady downward slope until 12/13, when we bring up all our kids from the farm and try to win.
What is stupid about the farm rules?
What is stupid about the farm rules?
jonathan tavares won't play a game in the FCHL until 11/12. for example. the same goes for david perron, dave bolland, et al.
jonathan tavares won't play a game in the FCHL until 11/12. for example. the same goes for david perron, dave bolland, et al.
So you think the rules should force teams to promote faster? I have no real opinion on this, just curious how you would do it. I mean i plan on keeping Ennis on the farm until I need him, like 12/13.
So you think the rules should force teams to promote faster? I have no real opinion on this, just curious how you would do it. I mean i plan on keeping Ennis on the farm until I need him, like 12/13.
I mean, as long as the rules they stay as they are, I guess I'm going to hoard. I think it's silly, but it's probably my best option.
I mean, as long as the rules they stay as they are, I guess I'm going to hoard. I think it's silly, but it's probably my best option.
It definitely is your best option to hoard. I tried to design the FCBL rules to minimize the benefits of hoarding, though all I could really think of was to put a maximum age, a maximum length of time a player can be on a farm, and a maximum number of callups in any year. I didn't want to make it too restrictive, but I really think the FCHL could benefit from making a max of 3 callups per year or something like that.Not that it'd necessarily be fair to change a rule like that without lots of prep time.
It definitely is your best option to hoard. I tried to design the FCBL rules to minimize the benefits of hoarding, though all I could really think of was to put a maximum age, a maximum length of time a player can be on a farm, and a maximum number of callups in any year. I didn't want to make it too restrictive, but I really think the FCHL could benefit from making a max of 3 callups per year or something like that.Not that it'd necessarily be fair to change a rule like that without lots of prep time.
its an easy fix. player plays 80 games in the NHL, you gotta call him up. If you cant decide after a "year" of NHL whether hes worth a roster spot, too bad.Ive never agreed with the FCHL rules for farm players as they were originally setup, but at least they were improved in recent yrs with the 5yr max and the 28player max. Neither really solved my issues with it, but I understood I was in the minority coming from a position of someone who traded away all things farm/draft.

I might bring Regin up this year. Waiting to see what line they start him out on. Ennis is staying down. Abdelkader might be up but I don't expect much at all from him but filling a roster spot so I can spend more on a couple big players.

its an easy fix. player plays 80 games in the NHL, you gotta call him up. If you cant decide after a "year" of NHL whether hes worth a roster spot, too bad.Ive never agreed with the FCHL rules for farm players as they were originally setup, but at least they were improved in recent yrs with the 5yr max and the 28player max. Neither really solved my issues with it, but I understood I was in the minority coming from a position of someone who traded away all things farm/draft.
I guess my farm is not one of the strongest (depressing), but either way, I would support this type of rule. Seems like there was some support for it, but we never really got around to hammering anything out.
I'm with you, if you can't figure out if a player is going to be worth calling up after 82 NHL games, you've got issues. 5 years or 82 NHL games, whichever comes first, that covers the NCAA players who spend 4 years after their draft year honing their game.
I'm with you, if you can't figure out if a player is going to be worth calling up after 82 NHL games, you've got issues. 5 years or 82 NHL games, whichever comes first, that covers the NCAA players who spend 4 years after their draft year honing their game.
as long as we aren't doing this retroactively, that's fine.

Yeah, we talked about this at one point in the last few months, but never really got anything off the ground.For comparison's sake, the AHL just implemented a rule like this, but it was 120 games, which is essentially 2 seasons for a rookie.You'd have to call up that player before the start of the next season AFTER he plays his 120th game, or you lose him as an FA.I have hilarious decisions to make with my two best farm players, Kyle Chipchura and Evgeni Artyukhin, LOL.

I like the above ideas, but I think a big snag was whether to do it retroactively. I agree with Jeff that it is unfair not to, but others felt differently. I guess we could always have different rules for retroactive and future picks, though that seems cumbersome. Plus, certain franchise owners have already said we were unfairly difficult to them at the beginning, and any retroactive change would make it worse. I disagree that we made it too difficult though :club:

as long as we aren't doing this retroactively, that's fine.
I dunno, I feel like it should be retroactive since we're talking about a change that at least partly forces the bottom teams to be doing their best to compete rather than sit on assets for the future. I know that's a nonstarter for you though, so I don't know where to go from here.

It will be tricky to decide WHEN you change the rule and if you do any of it retroactively. Maybe stagger the rule, say call up 300gp+over for first 2years, 200gp+over in 3rd year, and in 3-4years time all players with 100gp at that time must be called up.

If you were going to do it retroactively, then we should do something like allow teams that HAVE to decide on a player to be able to buy out a player already under contract without the penalty as long as it's within a certain range of the farm players salary. Then teams can't really argue that they were saving a call up until he had enough cap space.

Yeah, a free buyout is a good idea, to at least not double-penalize guys who are forced to call-up.I think a staggered approach could work too, based on FCHL draft year?
I was thinking about maybe allowing 2 exemptions from the rule per team, to allow two players to play a max of say 200 NHL games before their mandatory callup. This might help smooth things over with guys who have been hanging onto viable prospects until years when they can help a lot.
I was thinking about maybe allowing 2 exemptions from the rule per team, to allow two players to play a max of say 200 NHL games before their mandatory callup. This might help smooth things over with guys who have been hanging onto viable prospects until years when they can help a lot.
That's the thing. We know certain players are gonna be good, but we only get them for a total of 6 years guaranteed on the big club. This makes one want to try and get them during the prime of their careers. Usually that isn't in their first 3 years.

Well, I think the biggest issue with this is that forcing teams to call up their farm players after 80 games, is that it could easily not be enough.Ok, maybe for Stamkos it is, but not midlevel prospects. Those guys could be 25 before they hit their peak, even if they play a full season at 18. Then, since we only get to sign for 6 years, and we miss out on their prime.For my team, for example, if I had someone like Tavares or Stamkos, I would be keeping them on the farm not because I don't think they'll help my team now, but more because I want the full 6 years while they're in their primes.Also, look at someone like Hedman, he played a full season, so now he has to get called up, under this proposal? A defenseman won't produce consistently when he's this young, at least not very often. There'll be a few exceptions of course, but I dunno, I wouldn't want to have to bring up Myers now and then lose him when he enters his prime.