2008-2009 Nfl Season

And yes I will always look for a silver lining in a season where our best player got shot and killed and we had to win our last 4 games with a backup QB to get into the playoffs! It is pretty remarkable if you ask me.
I'll give you that.
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboys were still 4-1 against the NFC East in games that mattered. The last loss against Washington they were sitting most the star players.
True, but with McNabb back, Eli playing much better, and Jason Campbell a year older (not to mention Zorn as coach...good hire), I think that entire division is improved. Guess we'll see.
Buffalo is an interesting pick to be a sleeper. My problem with the Bills is they have the look of a team that everyone will jump on as this year's surprise team. And ask Wang, the public is dumb. Two years ago it was San Fran. The "surprise" team is always a huge surprise.Custom, why are you so high on Jax and so low on Indy? I have not seen anything that would suggest Indy has a closing window.....they still have Peyton Manning, weapons galore, decent D, and a good coach. Seattle v. Dallas......Dallas is clearly the better team talent wise. Seattle is going to need every bit of that lousy schedule to make the playoffs.....I think they get in but not as the 2 seed. They could easily win that division at 9-7. I think the most interesting scenario is what happens in the AFC North if Baltimore gets Favre. I still think that is the most logical place for him. Start for a year maybe two and groom Flacco. If that happened then that division would be very interesting. I think this is the year the Steelers miss the playoffs.If I had to pick a team to come out of the NFC right now, I would honestly lean towards New Orleans. As much as I like the composition of the Cowboys, Tony Romo still hasnt shown anything in the playoffs.....and until he does maybe we should stop giving him the benefit of the doubt.Drew Brees has played well in the playoffs and you cant understate how important it is to have a tight end controlling the middle of the field. The Saints offense is going to be lethal.
Yeah, if the public starts picking Buffalo, I think I'm going to have to re-evaluate my stance on them.I'm high on Jacksonville for a few reasons. One is that I can't understand why they haven't put it all together the last few seasons. But, Gerrard's settled at qb, they picked up some WR help, and they drafted well. This plus Indy's decline makes me think this could be their year.I think Indy's simply getting too old to win a Super Bowl. Harrison was out last year with an injury that should've seen him back much sooner, Manning just had the same surgery as Harrison, and their defensive line has gotten worse each year.I agree with everything you've said about the north, the Ravens, and Favre. If he goes there, which is the best possible scenario for him, that changes everything in the AFC. But, they've said they have no interest in him. Also, Troy Smith is developing pretty well and could be set for a huge year this year. I debated whether Baltimore or Buffalo would take that last wild card spot, and I think it's a toss-up right now.Why do you think the New Orleans defense is going to be so good this year?
I'll give you that.
*hug*But no more hugs starting September 4th! :club:tecmo.gif
I'd put money on Seattle having an equal or better record than Dallas. Maybe even just a better record. But I'd have to get some pretty good odds to get 2 games better.Edit - I remember the NO beatdown. I've convinced myself it was a fluke.
I will take this bet for any amount of money up to $300.
The Saints offense is going to be lethal.
...which offense would you take if you owned a team... NO or Dallas.(hint: AINEC)

Is anyone else ready to explode? I really really really just want the season to start right now...AHHHH

I'm high on Jacksonville for a few reasons. One is that I can't understand why they haven't put it all together the last few seasons. But, Gerrard's settled at qb, they picked up some WR help, and they drafted well. This plus Indy's decline makes me think this could be their year.I think Indy's simply getting too old to win a Super Bowl. Harrison was out last year with an injury that should've seen him back much sooner, Manning just had the same surgery as Harrison, and their defensive line has gotten worse each year.I agree with everything you've said about the north, the Ravens, and Favre. If he goes there, which is the best possible scenario for him, that changes everything in the AFC. But, they've said they have no interest in him. Also, Troy Smith is developing pretty well and could be set for a huge year this year. I debated whether Baltimore or Buffalo would take that last wild card spot, and I think it's a toss-up right now.Why do you think the New Orleans defense is going to be so good this year?
I dont think NO's defense will be that great....I just dont think it will have to be more than ok. I see them putting up 30+ points a game.....sean payton knows how to use a TE. Shockey was the missing piece of the juggernaut puzzle for them in my mind. Plus, they play in the watered down NFC which helps.I think the Colts proved last year that Harrison is expendable. They won a ton of games with him out....Peyton knows how to use what he has. Sure, Peyton could be hobbled this year but since he has never missed a game he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. I agree that JAX is potentially dangerous. I worry that their WR corps still isnt good enough.....and you have to throw the ball to win in the NFL these days. It's a pre-requisite.
...which offense would you take if you owned a team... NO or Dallas.(hint: AINEC)
Honestly, it is a toss up for me.Brees Romo is a wash.Barber v. Bush/Duece is a wash (maybe even a small edge to NO and I really like Barber. I like Bush's versatility.)Shockey Witten is a wash (I acknowledge Witten was better the last couple years but I think the Giants misused Shockey.)WR corps is a wash. TO is the best but they have little depth after him. (Glenn, Hurd, Crayton....not exciting). I love Colston and I think either Robert Meachem or Devery Henderson will give more to an offense than and of the Cowboys other WRs.O-line is a slight edge to Dallas.So yeah, up and down the line you might give a slight edge to Dallas. Problem is, Tony Romo keeps not showing up in big games. It's early in his career, but until he wins a playoff game the doubt is there. Brees won big games in college and has won a NFL playoff game.Plus, the biggest thing for me is Sean Payton. I think he is one of the three best play callers in the league. I think he will use the talent around him better than the Cowboys O-coordinator will.I can see why you would take Dallas.....but calling it AINEC is silly and reeks of fan bias.
Barber v. Bush/Duece is a wash (maybe even a small edge to NO and I really like Barber. I like Bush's versatility.)
You left off Felix Jones & Tashard Choice. The Dallas backfield is just as versatile as the Saint's is. Isn't Duece coming off a surgery too?
wtf?!?!?!?! where did you get that? I want it!!!!!!!!!!
someone on extremeskins had it as their sig...i've seen others before.
You left off Felix Jones & Tashard Choice. The Dallas backfield is just as versatile as the Saint's is. Isn't Duece coming off a surgery too?
I dont even know who Tashard Choice is. My point was not that the Saints are necessarily better.....its that with the addition of Shockey it is a wash or close to it. Witten v. Saints TE was probably the biggest advantage the Cowboys O had over the Saints O. Thats gone now.If someone were to say that Dallas had the best offense in the NFC, thats a fair statement. Talent wise they probably have a small edge. I think that edge will be overcome by Sean Payton.I believe Duece is coming off a surgery....but he is just a 8-12 carry guy in my mind. With Bush in the backfield the Saints should have a run/pass ratio akin to the Eagles. Really hard to cover Colston, Shockey and Bush especially since they will all be coming at the defense from a different area of the formation. You throw and throw and then set up the draw plays to Bush. I would like the Cowboys offense a lot more if they had a legit #2 receiver. Of course, maybe Terry Glenn comes back in a big way this year. Too early to be definitive on anything.
I dont even know who Tashard Choice is.
He was a stud RB at GT last year, and I'd expect Felix Jones is going to have a similar impact as Bush did his rookie season in a similar role. If I'm not mistaken he actually averaged more yards per touch in college than Bush did.
He was a stud RB at GT last year, and I'd expect Felix Jones is going to have a similar impact as Bush did his rookie season in a similar role. If I'm not mistaken he actually averaged more yards per touch in college than Bush did.
oh yeah! I remember him from GT's game agains the Canes. Not sure how much PT he will see behind Barber and Jones though.I would not be surprised if Jones did average more yards per touch in college than Bush.....but it probably is a lot easier when people are zeroing in on McFadden so much. (yes, I know Bush had LenDale White to ease the load too) I really like how Bush the receiver will fit in this year's Saints offense more than Bush the runner. With the talent they have, their most commonly called run play should be the draw....playing off their passing game.If you are trying to convince me how good the Dallas offense is you can stop. Early in this thread I pick them to break through and go to the Super Bowl. And I did that mostly because they have an A offense and at least a B- defense.Side note: I finally got my friend who is a Cowboys fan to admit that Dallas should have taken Ed Reed over Roy Williams. I told him the day of that draft that Dallas just took the 2nd best safety in the draft at 7 and he laughed at me. I feel vindicated.
If you are trying to convince me how good the Dallas offense is you can stop. Early in this thread I pick them to break through and go to the Super Bowl. And I did that mostly because they have an A offense and at least a B- defense.Side note: I finally got my friend who is a Cowboys fan to admit that Dallas should have taken Ed Reed over Roy Williams. I told him the day of that draft that Dallas just took the 2nd best safety in the draft at 7 and he laughed at me. I feel vindicated.
I'm not, I just thought you were overlooking the depth of the Cowboys backfield. Otherwise I agree with your assessment of the two offenses. I'd kill to have Reed instead of Williams :club:
I'm still not sold on NO's defense and whether the Deuce can stay healthy. Bush is a bust. The pass defense, from what I can remember, wasn't helped out at all during the offseason. I think it's a Carolina-NO race for the south spot.
Reggie2006: 1563 AP yards and 9 TDs2007: 1010 AP Yards and 6 TDsNot amazing, but not horrible. I think it's unfair to call him a bust at this point. He showed a lot of what he can do in his rookie year and was then put in a bad situation last season. I don't seem him having trouble returning to at least rookie form.DeuceHe should stay healthy, mostly because he he'll be in a time share with Pierre Thomas. The dude earned himself more carries with his great performance at the end of last season.Pass DThe front 7 should be able to get enough pressure on the QB to make the secondary's job much easier. Plus, Jason David is moving down the depth chart far enough to not kill us this year.
how do you copy these things and put them in your sig? Sorry, I'm .gif illiterate.
Just right click the picture and save it. Then go to photobucket and upload it to get an IMG code. Then copy and paste that code into your sig.
el oh el. I am not judging someone on one call.....especially when that same exact play won them a game once before according to the article.
I really have no opinion on Payton's play calling abilities, your post just made me remember a trick play fumble that cost them a game and I wanted to see if I could track down an article on it.EDIT: And I'm not sure the article meant that play won them the game against Atlanta. If I remember correctly, that game wasn't really that close.
I can see why you would take Dallas.....but calling it AINEC is silly and reeks of fan bias.
luckily for me, I don't even have to back this up with anything... I can just wait for the season to be over, to prove you wrong.