• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how Kennedy feels since he's the swing vote on many of these cases.I think the ruling was reasonable as well as Scalia's comments below.Scalia was careful not to strike down all gun laws. "The Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns," Scalia wrote. Additionally, he said, "nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." Licensing requirements were also held to be constitutional.

So what is the real world impact in DC today? Can people start buying handguns or carrying them around the city?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it is in limbo. The city will go back and try to rewrite the law to have the same result with different words, and it will get thrown out again. Meanwhile, law-abiding citizens will have no recourse and the criminals will continue to have guns for many years until the city provides a reasonable licensing law.
So what is the real world impact in DC today? Can people start buying handguns or carrying them around the city?
Carrying, no. Won't ever happen there.Buying, no, for numerous reasons having to do with DC zoning regulations on gun shops and federal laws prohibiting a person from buying a handgun out of state. This *may* change, but its highly unlikely. What this does do is make it so people who move to DC can register their handguns lawfully, or people who have dual residences can buy legally in another state and keep it in their DC homes.This is a great day for gun owners, but a bad day for me...
"nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons...
I was hoping to at least get *some* sort of traction to get my gun rights restored out of this whole thing, but it looks like that is unlikely...
I was hoping to at least get *some* sort of traction to get my gun rights restored out of this whole thing, but it looks like that is unlikely...
have you looked into getting your rights returned to you individually? I have no idea what all goes into it, but I remember an older guy I know who had been convicted of a felony a long time ago had his rights to vote and own guns restored legally somehow. you know anything about that?

I fully support this ruling. Not because gun ownership is a fundamental right or has some connection to safer society. I support it because guns are awesome. If you disagree....Barrett%20M82A1-400.jpg

have you looked into getting your rights returned to you individually? I have no idea what all goes into it, but I remember an older guy I know who had been convicted of a felony a long time ago had his rights to vote and own guns restored legally somehow. you know anything about that?
It depends on what state you're in. In Virginia, if you're convicted of a non-violent felony and have settled up with the state in terms of prison time and fines, you can petition the secretary of the commonwealth to have your voting rights restored, and once those are restored, you automatically have your gun rights restored.Our centrist-democrat governor noted pretty observantly that more petitions have to do with eventually getting gun rights than voting.
OpinonI'm pretty depressed that there four dissenters.

.. and the rest of the civilised world sits wondering how many of your school children get massacred before you realise that letting just anyone own a gun if they want one is so insanely stupid.Oh well, you boys have fun over there with your boomsticks.

.. and the rest of the civilised world sits wondering how many of your school children get massacred before you realise that letting just anyone own a gun if they want one is so insanely stupid.Oh well, you boys have fun over there with your boomsticks.
We couldn't care less what your country thinks. Look around your home and count the things you use on a daily basis that were invented in our country. Unless you live in Japan, when we look around our homes, we don't suffer from similar reminders about your country. Then enjoy a nice, warm glass of international inferiority and STFU. Enjoy the cheap dollar while you can...
This Herewhat do you guys think about that? seems pretty level headed. he says that while this is a good thing because it settles the argument that yes, the second amendment does protect the right to have guns, it doesn't actually change the way anything is. also, i was a little shocked to read in that article that
While the Second Amendment confirms the right to own and bear arms, it's long been agreed that individuals relinquish that right for certain behaviors or circumstances. For instance, you cannot own a handgun, rifle or shotgun, if you are a convicted felon, a fugitive from justice, an unlawful user or are addicted to marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant or narcotic or any other controlled substance.
i've never heard that before. has this ever been enforced? if so, how is it enforced? i am prescribed two controlled substances from a psychiatrist, and the argument could definitely be made that i am addicted to them. does this mean that im not supposed to own a gun? im curious because i might be partially moving to florida and if i do i was going to get a license and get one.
also, i was a little shocked to read in that article that i've never heard that before. has this ever been enforced? if so, how is it enforced? i am prescribed two controlled substances from a psychiatrist, and the argument could definitely be made that i am addicted to them. does this mean that im not supposed to own a gun? im curious because i might be partially moving to florida and if i do i was going to get a license and get one.
its been a long time since I've bought a gun and filled out the form, but I think there are questions on there about using illegal substances and stuff that you have to answer "no" to, but I think its only for illegal stuff. I don't think there's anything about current prescriptions, but I could be wrong, but I know there's questions about mental stability. now as far as the background checks go, I really don't know how deep they go. I know they do a criminal check, and I would think that would include any institutionalizations to psychiatric facilities, but I'm not sure. should anyways. I'm in va by the way, so I don't know about fl. I'm pretty sure they don't look at your prescription history, and they don't give you drug tests. I think the law is basically so that if you're caught with drugs and a gun, they can do even more to you, which they absolutely do.
I think the law is basically so that if you're caught with drugs and a gun, they can do even more to you, which they absolutely do.
well i dont do drugs anymore, so thats fine. my girlfriends ex was bagged with like 20 grams of cocaine and a gun after they went to arrest him for harassing her and breaking a restraining order. lets just say he won't be getting out any time soon. they take that shit very seriously.
  • 1 year later...
<insert gun debate here>
Here's my opinion on the "gun" debate:It's pretty clear that the constitution says that we should be able to have guns. I mean, it comes out and says it about as directly as it can be said. The founders intended for us to be able to carry guns. So, this ruling seems pretty consistent with the constitution. You can't say locally that people can't have guns just because you feel like it. If the constitution says you can have a gun, you can have a gun.The second amendment is clear as day. That dosen't mean it's not stupid.

How about the reasoning given..relating how the freed slaves were only truly free when they had a right to own a gun.That's got to hurt the left.

How about the reasoning given..relating how the freed slaves were only truly free when they had a right to own a gun.That's got to hurt the left.
The slaves were truly free when the civil rights acts of the 60's were passed, agains the will of most Republicans at the time.That's got to hurt the right.
The slaves were truly free when the civil rights acts of the 60's were passed, agains the will of most Republicans and Al Gore's father at the time.That's got to hurt the right.
You sure about that?Some interesting tid bits about the passage:
The bill was reported out of the Judiciary Committee in November 1963, and referred to the Rules Committee, whose chairman, Howard W. Smith, a Democrat and avid segregationist from Virginia, indicated his intention to keep the bill bottled up indefinitely.
The bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964 and the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage.
After 54 days of filibuster, Senators Everett Dirksen (R-IL), Thomas Kuchel (R-CA), Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), and Mike Mansfield (D-MT) introduced a substitute bill that they hoped would attract enough Republican swing votes to end the filibuster
The vote:
The original House version:[10] * Democratic Party: 152-96 (61%-39%) * Republican Party: 138-34 (80%-20%)Cloture in the Senate:[11] * Democratic Party: 44-23 (66%-34%) * Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)The Senate version:[10] * Democratic Party: 46-21 (69%-31%) * Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)The Senate version, voted on by the House:[10] * Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%-37%) * Republican Party: 136-35 (80%-20%)
Which of these votes was when the 'majority' of the Republicans were racist again? Seems like you got your parties mixed up.How shameful not to attribute the full honors of what people like democrat senators like Robert Byrd did for this country just the day after the former KKK leader dies.
Clearly people from the South don't count. Duh.
Sorry, I forgot that the left never needs truth to arrive at justification to hate the right.
Murders in Chicago2009 4582010 209