Eric Brooks Donates Winnings

Maybe I missed it but I didn't know this - very nice!Seven card Stud winner donates winningsEric Brooks, a Pennsylvania businessman who serves as a director on the board of Decision Education Foundation, won the 2008 World Championship of Poker’s seven-card stud, held last week in Las Vegas. “But he won’t be takinig his $415,856 purse home with him,” says the press release put out today by the Palo Alto non-profit, which says he will be donating the money to it instead. Presumably, the above photo from the DEF Web site shows examples of folks who have benefited from the foundation’s efforts.Brooks, a co-founder of Susquehanna International Group, has served since 2004 on the board of DEF, whose mission is “to teach young people how to make good decisions.”The foundation develops classroom-ready materials and works with select schools and youth organizations, training teachers interested in making decision education a part of their curricula.One things for certain: there is no shortage of bad decision making examples to make use of inthe real world. Of course, gambling might be one, but we digress.Brooks seems like a genuinely nice guy who gets kinda choked up in this interview with Amanda Leatherman of PokerNews.com.

I wish I had enough money to be able to donate $400K and not think twice about it.

I did mention it in the 7card stud thread when it was over....but no one went to that thread so I assume most of FCP didn't know about it...That is a very classy thing to do.

Not to be paranoid, but that charity sounds like a front for some sort of cult. I'll read up on them, but if he's just giving money to find some kind of rich Republican initiative to make sure students do things their way, I'm gonna puke.That being said, I think it's pretty classy to give one's winnings to charity and I hope to be in a position to do the same some day.

very nice thing to do, i'm sure 99.9% of people in this world would not be able to part with that kind of money after they had it in their hands

Not to be paranoid, but that charity sounds like a front for some sort of cult.
I doubt that, but the eight people he sucked out on to get there are probably considering mass-suicide at the moment..I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but a. ) it's pulling money out of the poker community and b. ) it's rubbing salt in the wounds.Nice gesture? yes. Public gesture? indeed. Are most charities tax shelters/fronts/beareaucratic nightmares? absolutely.
very nice thing to do, i'm sure 99.9% of people in this world would not be able to part with that kind of money after they had it in their hands
Yes and 80% of those people wouldn't part with the money because they need it to pay some bills and TP/MM obv.I for one would definitely not part with the money. Because I need it and I could start the business my wife wants and keep some to play on the side. WOOT

I'm pretty sure on pokerroad they said he was the chair of the chairty and that something crooked could be going on to evade taxes. Or that he was supposed to repping the charity and skipped out to play poker so he felt obligated to donate. Just speculation...

I ussually donate my tourney winnings to the cash games
Doesn't count when its to the girls at the Rhino.Mark
I'm pretty sure on pokerroad they said he was the chair of the chairty and that something crooked could be going on to evade taxes. Or that he was supposed to repping the charity and skipped out to play poker so he felt obligated to donate. Just speculation...
yeah I heard this too. makes sense to me
You can only deduct 1/2 your income as a charitable contribution, so he must make more than $500K a year. Otherwise he will pay 37% tax on any money he donates above the 'half his income' level.Go figures that a guy can donate $400K to a charity and in the first page it's a republican conspiracy from a guy that stole the buy in to gamble.It's not like it's a lot of money..in the real world.
It's not like it's a lot of money..in the real world.
LOL at this comment btw.. if your not worth more thaan 50 million then it is alot of money . and i dont think many "millionaires" are just up and giving 400k to charity .
LOL at this comment btw.. if your not worth more thaan 50 million then it is alot of money . and i dont think many "millionaires" are just up and giving 400k to charity .
I bet you don't know many millionaires then.Actually they usaully give it in a trust, because of the huge tax advantages, and you are not required to actually fully fund the trust for 10 years. It's a loophole.
no i dont know too many millionaires but i do know a few . there pretty tight..
If they are from Cal, NY or any other high tax state, they are going to be giving 50% of thier winning to the government, and being on the board, he gets to be a big shot, for only $200K, which didn't really 'cost' him anything.Never underestimate the power of a dude to want to look like a big shot.