I don't think this is horible news. Hopefully, whoever picks this up will package it with HSP too. Some networks that come to mind that might want the WTP: Spike, Vs, ESPN2, FSN.

we get it it in the uk, but the channel that carrys it puts it on like @ 3 am in the morning becuase everyone knows thats when poker players watch tv ffs lol

I don't think this is horible news. Hopefully, whoever picks this up will package it with HSP too. Some networks that come to mind that might want the WTP: Spike, Vs, ESPN2, FSN.
This is a channel that I'm surprised has yet to catch the poker bug. Especially with it marketing itself as the "Man's Channel"
If ESPN get it they will be a poker powerhouse television wise. I think they'd prob be the front runner to pick it up along with HSP.
I dunno, that'd be ALOT of poker for one channel that already shows a wide range of actual sports. The only way I see ESPN picking them up is if they put them on at 1 AMish, cuz there's no way they'd use up their primetime hours for poker over, say, a baseball/basketball/college sports game.

ESPN won't pick it up: they've been cutting back on poker (remember the USPC?). Given that two channels have dropped WPT I'm not as sure as many of you seem to be that they'll get anyone to pick up the show. GSN was losing money on it, and they only paid enough to cover WPT's production costs. GSN owns High Stakes Poker, so I don't think it's coming back. It is possible that someone would buy the intellectual property from GSN, but that would be unusual.

Two things:1. ) ESPN2 would be an awful nice home for it. Everyone is right about the danger of oversaturation. Even NBC probably can't make a play because of the HU championship, their version of Poker Superstars, and PAD.2. ) I think it's time for a poker channel on Television. I really think it could work, and now is the best possible time to have one: the boom has happened, tons of fans, plenty of content, I mean.. think of it this way:WPT.PPT.HSP.Poker Superstars.Bluff RadioPokerroadFull Tilt Tips from the Pros.And anything else that could be put together and cheaply produced. It could seriously happen.Hell, the channel could be 1/2 high stakes golf...

This is obviously bad news for poker...While I admit I have not watched the WPT since it moved to GSN...and with the earlier announcement of High Stakes poker ending it's run on GSN. Looks as thou the poker boom is headed to a bust...it could not maintain the momentum it has or had..just like the Pet Rock Rubix cube etc. It was a novelty and now we will all turn to the next thing..

World Poker Tour Looking For A Broadcaster As GSN's Option Expires: GSN's option to air season seven of the World Poker Tour expired Saturday...WPTE is currently in discussions with several major networks to broadcast programming from its landmark seventh season, which kicks off July 11...
EEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! Someone better pick this up quick because the episodes I air in (as a fangirl, not a playa) are scheduled to air August 18 and 25!!!!
If ESPN get it they will be a poker powerhouse television wise. I think they'd prob be the front runner to pick it up along with HSP.
Please not ESPN!!! We'll spend half our time looking at their lives away from the poker table, 25% of our time listening to them WRONGLY explain how to play poker and maybe 10% actual playing time.............PLEASE NOT ESPN!!!!
Is there a chance the WPT folds? I know there ratings are in the tank. Do you really think some channel actually adds poker at this point?
Absolutely, it could fold. The company has always lost money and its stock trades for less than liquidation value (which means that the management is destroying value). It's probably up to major shareholder Lyle Berman to decide whether they want to continue to try or not.
EEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! Someone better pick this up quick because the episodes I air in (as a fangirl, not a playa) are scheduled to air August 18 and 25!!!!
GSN will air the rest of season six. It's season 7, which would start shooting soon, that has no home.

Pretty sure that I have heard that this is it for the WPT. The networks are not intersted in a show that will potentially fold up on them. Thats why it has bounced from the Travel Channel to the GSN. Hopefully High Stakes Poker stays on the air as it is a much better show.

Pretty sure that I have heard that this is it for the WPT. The networks are not intersted in a show that will potentially fold up on them. Thats why it has bounced from the Travel Channel to the GSN. Hopefully High Stakes Poker stays on the air as it is a much better show.
I read an article some time ago where Lipscomb(sp) head cheese of the WPT say that for the long term health of the WPT it would need to be bought by the WSOP...The WSOP had very little interest in buying the WPT before they created the WSOP "Circut" events and no interest after.
ESPN won't pick it up: they've been cutting back on poker (remember the USPC?). Given that two channels have dropped WPT I'm not as sure as many of you seem to be that they'll get anyone to pick up the show.
I agree with this 100%. Espn won't make the commitment. If they wanted they wanted more poker they could just film more WSOP events and show those. The WPT isnt fun to watch from the standpoint of a normal TV viewer. It seems that everyone on here who thinks ESPN would pick it up is only thinking from the perspective of the poker community. The WPT is too long (2 hours) for people to come home from work and kill their whole night watching an episode. There is too much play and not enough action for the non poker fan to really enjoy it (Due to the longer format). Plus, the factor that I think is the biggest is that there aren't enough names at the final tables. The reason that NBC can show the Heads Up championship is because the players and hand picked. Casual poker fans recognize almost everyone in the field. No one has ever heard of half of the players at the WPT final table. I know the same could be said about some of the WSOP tables shown by ESPN, but I still feel that their format is much more conducive to the casual fan.
ESPN won't pick it up: they've been cutting back on poker (remember the USPC?). Given that two channels have dropped WPT I'm not as sure as many of you seem to be that they'll get anyone to pick up the show. GSN was losing money on it, and they only paid enough to cover WPT's production costs. GSN owns High Stakes Poker, so I don't think it's coming back. It is possible that someone would buy the intellectual property from GSN, but that would be unusual.
Actually GSN doesn't own HSP, Poker Productions or something like that does. The same company that owns the Poker After Dark series. GSN only owns the episodes that have been aired and/or paid for but unaired. The guy who runs Poker Prods has been quoted as saying he's shopping the show to other networks (independently of the WPT obviously) and also a whole different concept that is yet unknown.
Please not ESPN!!! We'll spend half our time looking at their lives away from the poker table, 25% of our time listening to them WRONGLY explain how to play poker and maybe 10% actual playing time.............PLEASE NOT ESPN!!!!
That's not necessarily a bad thing :club:
Pretty sure that I have heard that this is it for the WPT. The networks are not intersted in a show that will potentially fold up on them.
Oh, my...............how will VVP make a living ?