Lol...minor Work "complaint"

So, I work for a large financial institution in a back office function. I hardly ever deal with the public and most people are internal. We just moved and I sit in a fairly high traffic area which is annoying, but I'm fairly sociable and I can be a bit of a noise-maker/prankster, just small end stuff like singing a couple of song lines loudly, doing the fake gun thing, seeing if I can get peoples attention in unconventional ways. Yesterday, a new mailroom clerk had been dropping of some junk and I bleated like a goat and, when she looked at me, I said "Ha! Made you look!" Anyway, I thought that was the end of it, as I had chatted with her a little during the previous week and it looked like she got a chuckle from my stupidity. Then...today my manager, with whom I have an excellent relationship, approaches me and asks me into a meeting room and tells me the clerk went to her manager with this. How and why she might have done this escapes me. Frankly, I feel a little sheepish about it, but I'm also a little offended that someone would be so...sensitive(?).Your thoughts,please, and trust me when I say I am not counting on anything sensible or expecting people to "side" with me, but wouldn't you say there are far worse issues for someone to complain about at work?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in an office and would do silly things to amuse myself sometimes, but in a discreet and anonymous manner.Frankly, bleating like a goat is pretty weird and would make me uncomfortable. I wouldn't complain about it to a manager, but maybe I would gossip about it around the water cooler etc.Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I think you should get tested for tourettes syndrome.

Maybe you should have made sheep sounds then.
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAYeah, over reaction on her part imo.
So, I work for a large financial institution in a back office function. I hardly ever deal with the public and most people are internal. We just moved and I sit in a fairly high traffic area which is annoying, but I'm fairly sociable and I can be a bit of a noise-maker/prankster, just small end stuff like singing a couple of song lines loudly, doing the fake gun thing, seeing if I can get peoples attention in unconventional ways. Yesterday, a new mailroom clerk had been dropping of some junk and I bleated like a goat and, when she looked at me, I said "Ha! Made you look!" Anyway, I thought that was the end of it, as I had chatted with her a little during the previous week and it looked like she got a chuckle from my stupidity. Then...today my manager, with whom I have an excellent relationship, approaches me and asks me into a meeting room and tells me the clerk went to her manager with this. How and why she might have done this escapes me. Frankly, I feel a little sheepish about it, but I'm also a little offended that someone would be so...sensitive(?).Your thoughts,please, and trust me when I say I am not counting on anything sensible or expecting people to "side" with me, but wouldn't you say there are far worse issues for someone to complain about at work?
Quit acting like a 12 year old in a professional environment?
next time rape her
I like the direction this thread is moving.
Here are some rules for interaction at the office: Don't look at people. Don't talk to people.Don't walk past people. Don't stand near people. Don't scare people. Don't make noises around people.Don't be quiet around people. Don't say what you think to people. Don't eat in the vicinity of people. Don't make goat noises at people. I'm sure there are more. Basically, shut up and work. Don't be the office clown. Oh. And bleating like a goat is just weird. Weird, I tell you.

1) There's a reason the movie "Office Space" has become such a cult classic. Behold the true "cost" of an office environment. Yes, you get paid pretty well to do what amounts to jack shit, but the tax those zombies levy upon your soul winds up taking it all back anyway. In so many ways, my felony conviction was the best thing that ever happened to me. It forcibly got me out of places like that and life has been so, so much better since. Had it not happened, I'd be right there with you, lamenting over the same shit and wondering how I was ever going to escape... 2) Yes, she is hypersensitive, however, you have to realize that people who voluntarily enslave themselves to those places every single day for what amounts to a middle income paycheck usually aren't going to be the sort of people who appreciate a little abstract humor. They can't laugh, as they're already dead inside so anything you do or say that might be humorous will simply come off as being bizarre and inappropriate. 3) Your only choice here is to either quit and go do something else, or start the internal death process so you can become like them.

2) Yes, she is hypersensitive, however, you have to realize that people who voluntarily enslave themselves to those places every single day for what amounts to a middle income paycheck usually aren't going to be the sort of people who appreciate a little abstract humor. They can't laugh, as they're already dead inside so anything you do or say that might be humorous will simply come off as being bizarre and inappropriate.
i.e., next time rape her
Sez the guy with the Star Wars gif avatar :-) <3
So basically you act the same in real life as you do on here?Noted.
Kind of...I run kind of bipolar, I suppose...
1) There's a reason the movie "Office Space" has become such a cult classic. Behold the true "cost" of an office environment. Yes, you get paid pretty well to do what amounts to jack shit, but the tax those zombies levy upon your soul winds up taking it all back anyway. In so many ways, my felony conviction was the best thing that ever happened to me. It forcibly got me out of places like that and life has been so, so much better since. Had it not happened, I'd be right there with you, lamenting over the same shit and wondering how I was ever going to escape... 2) Yes, she is hypersensitive, however, you have to realize that people who voluntarily enslave themselves to those places every single day for what amounts to a middle income paycheck usually aren't going to be the sort of people who appreciate a little abstract humor. They can't laugh, as they're already dead inside so anything you do or say that might be humorous will simply come off as being bizarre and inappropriate. 3) Your only choice here is to either quit and go do something else, or start the internal death process so you can become like them.
Extremely thoughtful response, however I will never succumb to #3(B). Doing something else is much more likely, but as long as I'm here, it's cubicle Rick Rolls and abstractions a-plenty...
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I think you should get tested for tourettes syndrome.
It's funny that you say this because I work with Special Olympics, and I know a kid with tourettes who makes noises that are similar to a goat noise. I actually had to stay in a room with him at a swim competition, and that was pretty annoying but I got used to it.

Well, I gotta tell you: I'd be very, very careful who you talk to about that, because a person who makes noises like that... is dangerous. And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you. Or maybe you shouldn't complain to management everytime I bleat like a goat.

OMG....how did i not make a note in this thread..this is gold!imo...she is just being wierd.....they all know youre a fun-loving guy...just give it up..it was funy, it was wierd.///so the fuck what!?