I think in Showstopper's defense that a large segment of America's populace (read: the majority) align more with his tastes than some others. Fair is fair.
BigMc said that exact same thing in the very post that you quoted.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

It just depends who you are talking to. My proffessor from my Century of Film class would think No Country is 10000 times the movie Dark Knight is. But younger people, like me who only care about being entertained for the duration of the movie, would like Dark Knight.On the other hand, I just watched Hot Fuzz and it sucked. I only laughed twice during this 'comedy'.
You imply by your post that a "good film" can't be entertaining. That is just fcking stupid. No Country was mind bogglingly entertaining. It just takes, you know.. engagement of your brain, rather than turning it off.

I also object to the whole idea that entertainment is now just mindless entertainment.. that in order for something to be entertaining, it can't make you think in anyway, but must be dumbed down. Sure, mindless entertainment can be fun, and can be good. But mindless is NOT the only type of entertainment, and you can be entertained AND have your brain engaged..

I also object to the whole idea that entertainment is now just mindless entertainment.. that in order for something to be entertaining, it can't make you think in anyway, but must be dumbed down. Sure, mindless entertainment can be fun, and can be good. But mindless is NOT the only type of entertainment, and you can be entertained AND have your brain engaged..
Totally agree, I'm only 20 and most of my friends fail to grasp this. They couldn't understand how I didn't find Wanted entertaining, it was mind-numbingly stupid but according to them it had cool action so how could I not find it entertaining.
You imply by your post that a "good film" can't be entertaining. That is just fcking stupid. No Country was mind bogglingly entertaining. It just takes, you know.. engagement of your brain, rather than turning it off.
I did not find No Country entertaining, though I realized it was a good film. I was bored during the movie, but from taking a film class, I can spot a good film.
I did not find No Country entertaining, though I realized it was a good film. I was bored during the movie, but from taking a film class, I can spot a good film.
I took a film class in college... Film Appreciation... that, and Sports Appreciation were the 2 easiest A's ever.Not really sure I know any more about film or sports than before.... but such is most of my collegiate studies.
its invading politics too.if it spreads to sports I am going to weep
Trust me when I say this because I'm really good friends with Him.... this post really does make baby Jesus cry.
Trust me when I say this because I'm really good friends with Him.... this post really does make baby Jesus cry.
You know, brv.. I think our disdain for a common enemy has brought us closer together, and made us look beyond our petty mel gibson differences.
You know, brv.. I think our disdain for a common enemy has brought us closer together, and made us look beyond our petty mel gibson differences.
yes. I still can't believe that this post actually happened:

I just watched two good movies. 1) The Bank Job. This movie was great... and that was before the very end when it's revealed to be a TRUE STORY... unreal... this movie is absolutely a must see.2) In Bruges. This was a HILARIOUS movie(note to Showstopper: There are no fart or dick jokes, sorry.) up until the 'not so realistic' ending. I would highly recommend it however.

Movies I watched this weekend:The Thing - really good survival horror film set in Antarctica. I wonder - does it predate Alien?Godfather III - this movie gets an unfair bad rap. Sofia Coppola was really bad, and the pacing was a little slow, but this was a flawed but worthy conclusion to the saga.The Thomas Crown Affair - good heist movie, great chemistry between Brosnan & Russo, I saw the ending coming (not only because I've seen the original) but I'm still not sure how he pulled it off.... Also, I want my own Caribbean island.Teeth - teenage virgin is afraid that her vagina has razor-sharp teeth hiding in there. Starts off slow, but the final third was great.I'm pretty sure that there were more but they're escaping me.

In Bruges-it was OK. I thought Colin Farrell did a great job.
Don't say I didn't warn you....
2) In Bruges. This was a HILARIOUS movie(note to Showstopper: There are no fart or dick jokes, sorry.) up until the 'not so realistic' ending. I would highly recommend it however.
2) In Bruges. This was a HILARIOUS movie(note to Showstopper: There are no fart or dick jokes, sorry.) up until the 'not so realistic' ending. I would highly recommend it however.
I was able to sort of ignore the "not so realistic" stuff since I enjoyed the rest so much.
I was able to sort of ignore the "not so realistic" stuff since I enjoyed the rest so much.
This post is correct.