Convert Me...

(This is entirely off-track, though I haven't read many posts, but I'll choose here to make a thin connection and mention something:)I think I stopped believing in a God a long, long time ago, partially because I valued logic, and noticed that there was never a time I was involved in an internet religion debate in which I was anything but annihilated. I pretty much tried to stop thinking about it, but slowing came to grips with it.The two great fallacies I had co-existing, though I thought I could have one entirely independent from the other, were religion and Objectivism. It was before I'd even realized there was any kind legitimate amoral belief, and I was spouting off about Randism in one of like 70 thousand gun control threads, something about how you didn't have the right to bully me around. McGee sort of off-handedly, rhetorically asked from where I thought these "rights" were being issued, and for the first time I got it. I honestly believe that that was probably the single biggest factor in my full acceptance of the whole thing.From there I went on to independently form a kind of crude, bare-bones "God is Dead"-type amoralism/existentialism that I evenuntually learned was pioneered by Nietzsche, etc. ...And that's the story of how I used to be funny, but now I'm a depressive shut-in who only posts in the music thread.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(This is entirely off-track, though I haven't read many posts, but I'll choose here to make a thin connection and mention something:)I think I stopped believing in a God a long, long time ago, partially because I valued logic, and noticed that there was never a time I was involved in an internet religion debate in which I was anything but annihilated. I pretty much tried to stop thinking about it, but slowing came to grips with it.The two great fallacies I had co-existing, though I thought I could have one entirely independent from the other, were religion and Objectivism. It was before I'd even realized there was any kind legitimate amoral belief, and I was spouting off about Randism in one of like 70 thousand gun control threads, something about how you didn't have the right to bully me around. McGee sort of off-handedly, rhetorically asked from where I thought these "rights" were being issued, and for the first time I got it. I honestly believe that that was probably the single biggest factor in my full acceptance of the whole thing.From there I went on to independently form a kind of crude, bare-bones "God is Dead"-type amoralism/existentialism that I evenuntually learned was pioneered by Nietzsche, etc. ...And that's the story of how I used to be funny, but now I'm a depressive shut-in who only posts in the music thread.
Glad I could help. Who says depressive nilistists can't prosthelize? We should start a church, and get the tax benefits.
Help me? Fuck you, you think I'm better off like this? If there is a God, he's coming for your giant White ass, first, fagatron.
I had a good friend who was in a two piece band called Fagatron. the had a indy, underground, "Homo-core" anthem called "asskickatron" that got all the teen gays who were super angsty about the jocko homophobia they faced in school all fired up, and had a bit of a cult following for a while.

and hey, I said we could start a church! You don't think that won't help you launder money? That's more than the piece of mind that only comes through knowing Jesus Chirst as your personal lord and savior has ever down for you.

I had a good friend who was in a two piece band called Fagatron. the had a indy, underground, "Homo-core" anthem called "asskickatron" that got all the teen gays who were super angsty about the jocko homophobia they faced in school all fired up, and had a bit of a cult following for a while.
I would pay to watch you and I start a crazy for-profit cult. It would start out as some mix of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Rob and Big, but by the end of the first season, it's just you grasping for some ironic remainder, while I'm locked in the office with a .38 and a bottle of gin, angrily jacking off to a Gilmore Girls repeat on ABC Family. Season two...we get a Mexican custodian who wears a sombrero!
I would pay to watch you and I start a crazy for-profit cult. It would start out as some mix of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Rob and Big, but by the end of the first season, it's just you grasping for some ironic remainder, while I'm locked in the office with a .38 and a bottle of gin, angrily jacking off to a Gilmore Girls repeat on ABC Family. Season two...we get a Mexican custodian who wears a sombrero!
Well, I was thinking more of a sex cult that was pretty much a front for prostitution and sex slave trafficing, but I can go the pop culture route with it, too, w/e.
Well, I was thinking more of a sex cult that was pretty much a front for prostitution and sex slave trafficing, but I can go the pop culture route with it, too, w/e.
Hmmm... If it's a sex cult, allow me to lay some groundrules:1. People have to have sex with me.2. No Fatties.3. If no one else is available, fatties will be reconsidered.
Hmmm... If it's a sex cult, allow me to lay some groundrules:1. People have to have sex with me.2. No Fatties.3. If no one else is available, fatties will be reconsidered.
what good is a sex cult if you can't coerce people into having sex with you.
You really know to awesomeize a thread. Well done. Also, much maligned beings that they are, fatties do give the best head. Not to be overlooked in my book.
You really know to awesomeize a thread. Well done. Also, much maligned beings that they are, fatties do give the best head. Not to be overlooked in my book.
It's true.. the hottest girls don't work as hard.It's like when you go into a strip club. Never get the hottest stripper. She'll give you the absolute worst lap dance.. because she doesn't need to. She's so hot, she'll get business no matter what she does, so she just mails it in. Go for about the 5 or 6th hottest.. go for one that's still hot, but maybe a little older, or maybe has a non-traditional look ( IE the classic blonde, big fake tits look) Maybe one that's a little thick, or a lil too thin, or what ever. She'll work much harder for her money that the hottest stripper in the club.
The day the music died.Who would have thought such an innocous thread that expressed my apathy to gun control laws would have been the straw that fell away from paul's camel's eyes.
It's true.. the hottest girls don't work as hard.It's like when you go into a strip club. Never get the hottest stripper. She'll give you the absolute worst lap dance.. because she doesn't need to. She's so hot, she'll get business no matter what she does, so she just mails it in. Go for about the 5 or 6th hottest.. go for one that's still hot, but maybe a little older, or maybe has a non-traditional look ( IE the classic blonde, big fake tits look) Maybe one that's a little thick, or a lil too thin, or what ever. She'll work much harder for her money that the hottest stripper in the club.
Best lap dance I ever had was from an obviously lesbian stripper that visibly hated her job. She hit all the proper dance moves, as robotically as one could possibly be. I had just pulled down a decent sized tourney win- this was just as I leapt in to full blown degeneracy- and was in a giving mood so I decided to take advantage of her awesomeness, or maybe I just felt like torturing her, so I just kept saying,"One more dance, please." She would look at me sort of oddly, take the cash, fold it neatly and put it in this metal lunch box, and then start over with the same routine. She was like a lesbian Monk. I fell in love that night. Now, back on the subject. Yes, yes, yes- I have found that the not so perfect women are willing to knock it out from the get go vs. ones like say, my wife, who knows she is hot and can take it or leave it. Want relentlessly bad head? Get married.

Okay, this has gone way -- and delightfully -- off topic. Not to distract you from the sex musings, but I thought of something regarding what Lois was talking about and what I was talking about re: surrendering the ego to faith. It occurred to me that what preachers ought to say is a paraphrase of JFK's line: "Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do for God." Lois is asking this, Yang isn't. And even if you don't believe in God (which I don't), it's not a bad way to approach your life. Fill in the word "god" with something else that's meaningful to you, and it still breeds a healthy humility and sense of service.

Best lap dance I ever had was from an obviously lesbian stripper that visibly hated her job. She hit all the proper dance moves, as robotically as one could possibly be. I had just pulled down a decent sized tourney win- this was just as I leapt in to full blown degeneracy- and was in a giving mood so I decided to take advantage of her awesomeness, or maybe I just felt like torturing her, so I just kept saying,"One more dance, please." She would look at me sort of oddly, take the cash, fold it neatly and put it in this metal lunch box, and then start over with the same routine. She was like a lesbian Monk. I fell in love that night. Now, back on the subject. Yes, yes, yes- I have found that the not so perfect women are willing to knock it out from the get go vs. ones like say, my wife, who knows she is hot and can take it or leave it. Want relentlessly bad head? Get married.
As the man said...If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife, but from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you.You have a goodish amount of sadist in you, making that lezzie dance for you all night long. Me, my lap dance tastes run a little different. I appreciate a good hustle, and really am looking for a girl to work the hustle, more than I am any particular look.
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyway, on to the points made in this thread. BidDMcGee was the only one who seemed to me to make a real effort to explain his atheism and even that seemed to be not much more than thinking that the prinicples and tenets of christianity seem unlikely to be true. I just don't see that as all that convincing an argument for there being no higher power or God at all.
Perhaps... just maybe..... Maybe you were hoping an atheist would try to prove atheism. Then you could use the lack of proof to show atheism is incorrect. Sorry, it deosn't work that way. Atheism is the lack of belief in God. If you can not prove there is a God, then you are atheist. Burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Atheists make no claim other than that they have not been convinced by those making theistic claims.
  • 1 month later...

Fairly interesting thread.I can relate what caused me to totally and completely reject the notion of the Christian version of God.I thought about the Holocaust, and the six million Jews killed. Of course that brings up the old question... why does a loving God allow this to happen? All part of his plan, I guess. Although since he is all powerful you would think he could come up with a plan that would avoid such sufferng. But there is more. Imagine suffering at near starvation for 6 months. Finally shuffled, trembling, into the gas chambers with dozens and dozens of others. And when you finally die, what awaits, from this God of Love? Enternal suffering in hell, because you never accepted Jesus as your lord and savior, being a Jew and all. If thats the way God is he does not deserve my worship. I think there is a God of sorts. A certain mojo that runs the universe. But not anything that gives a shi t about us or what we do.

• 2 weeks later...
Fairly interesting thread.I can relate what caused me to totally and completely reject the notion of the Christian version of God.I thought about the Holocaust, and the six million Jews killed. Of course that brings up the old question... why does a loving God allow this to happen? All part of his plan, I guess. Although since he is all powerful you would think he could come up with a plan that would avoid such sufferng. But there is more. Imagine suffering at near starvation for 6 months. Finally shuffled, trembling, into the gas chambers with dozens and dozens of others. And when you finally die, what awaits, from this God of Love? Enternal suffering in hell, because you never accepted Jesus as your lord and savior, being a Jew and all. If thats the way God is he does not deserve my worship. I think there is a God of sorts. A certain mojo that runs the universe. But not anything that gives a shi t about us or what we do.
The centuries-old issue of theodicy, or divine fairness/ethics/justice. Religion professor Bart D. Ehrman's latest book is on this: _God's Problem_. He's generally a very good writer. I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my list at Amazon. The subtitle is "How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question -- Why We Suffer."

This is an awesome thread and glad I finally found the time to read it. I'm posting under my Easter Bunny as a pun to Spades' Santa Claus.I have alot to add or say and don't have all the time right now but I hope to reinvigorate the debate/discussion.Simply put, Cinti kid in my mind didn't really get what he was asking for here. Lots of smart people responded but it kinda got disrailed with checky's obsure notion that a different view of religon might be better somehow.I'm not sure anyone plainly stated how awful, atraocious and bad for humankind religon is actually. Kudos to SB for being patient, well written/spoken in dealing with Balloon Guy. I had to laugh many times that his actual trolling of the thread was the very reason he should be the poster child for why religon is bad. Faith with no reason.The uncounted deaths and tragedies brought about by religon is unspeakable. The damage brought to children and there lifes is unspeakable. Conversely, athiesm and science can make a remarkable difference in how you view the world for the better. No one mentioned Darwin which surprised me. He is the one the gave us an explantion for all the hows and whys in the world we exist. Natural selection explains so much it should be reveled as mankinds greatest discovery.A final thought before dinner, eating another animal to be precise, the bible is a well written amazing piece of prose. If you like Freddie Kruger or Ted Bundy you should love characters like Moses, Noah, God, and Abraham.

This is an awesome thread and glad I finally found the time to read it. I'm posting under my Easter Bunny as a pun to Spades' Santa Claus.I have alot to add or say and don't have all the time right now but I hope to reinvigorate the debate/discussion.Simply put, Cinti kid in my mind didn't really get what he was asking for here. Lots of smart people responded but it kinda got disrailed with checky's obsure notion that a different view of religon might be better somehow.I'm not sure anyone plainly stated how awful, atraocious and bad for humankind religon is actually. Kudos to SB for being patient, well written/spoken in dealing with Balloon Guy. I had to laugh many times that his actual trolling of the thread was the very reason he should be the poster child for why religon is bad. Faith with no reason.The uncounted deaths and tragedies brought about by religon is unspeakable. The damage brought to children and there lifes is unspeakable. Conversely, athiesm and science can make a remarkable difference in how you view the world for the better. No one mentioned Darwin which surprised me. He is the one the gave us an explantion for all the hows and whys in the world we exist. Natural selection explains so much it should be reveled as mankinds greatest discovery.A final thought before dinner, eating another animal to be precise, the bible is a well written amazing piece of prose. If you like Freddie Kruger or Ted Bundy you should love characters like Moses, Noah, God, and Abraham.
If you're going to make a post like this, have the courage to do it in your main account.
and in the general poker forum : )
I mean, I agree with alot of what he/she had to say. However, if you're going to call Balloon Guy the poster child for everything that's bad with religion, I think it's really distasteful to do it behind a dupe. Maybe he/she is afraid of not getting a free cuban on the next golf outing.