barry g. says daniel plays in the "2nd tier" .

Anybody that looks down his nose to 1000/2000 and 2000/4000 limits....IMO.....has a mental illness.
I wonder what you think of Andy Beal?What if he only wants to play 30,000/60,000 or higher?
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think barry should just stfu and stop looking like count chocula
Hilarious!Also, it was my impression from Daniel's blog that he only plays smaller than 4k/8k if it's not available. And, how would Barry know what game Daniel plays in if he's hardly there, by his own admission, and is mostly in California?

barry

So then why does this arrogant d0uchebag talk about being the biggest cash game winner every chance he gets? I know the guy is good and some people will defend him no matter what, but I still think he's an a$$hole plain and simple. Yeah he gives to charity. He also mentions it every chance he gets. If you make the kind of money these guys make and don't give to charity you should probably burn in hell imo, so this doesn't exactly make him a saint.
daniel
Over the last six months I have three times more hours in $4000-$8000 than I do anything smaller.
sounds familar? when discussing poker, it's the norm to talk about games you play in regularly. what? you expected insight on his $3-$6 playing days. this thread is a response to negreanu's earlier thread regarding greenstein. daniel hadn't logged in enough hrs to consider himself a regular at 4k-8k. now with the wynn project in progress, he never was and never will be a dominate force in the 4k-8k games like a phil ivey or a barry greenstien. i was really looking forward to see daniel become the ultimate force in poker, both cash and tournies. guess that will never happen now. :boohoo:

stockbrokher,Your son definitely sounds like an extremely intelligent individual. While being a professional poker player can be very lucrative, it's a grind to the top and requires a lot more than just intelligence. Our resident highschool dropout can surely vouch.It's fantastic that your son wants to be a politician. It gives him more potential to stand up for what he believes in, if that is why. I do not know why he has intentions to become a politician, so I cannot say. All I'd like to point out is that as a politician he would probably be in the company of intelligent people (though many idiots as well, admittedly), find independence, but I'm not sure what you mean by fair rules. There are shady dealings in politics, but poker isn't flawless either. Recall how Sammy Farha's angle shot on Todd Brunson months ago? How about all the soft play we've recently been hearing about due to pros backing other pros?

Funny thing is that Daniel was playing some low limit $1,000-$2,000 recently and compared it to playing penny ante in one of his blogs. He said it just did not keep him focused. Hmmmmm, so much for the mentally ill theory. Or maybe it still fits the theory after all, LOL!I think everyone has to realize that the biggest players tend to have the biggest egos. There is nothing wrong with having an ego. It does not have to have a negative conotation to it. It is an attribute in the poker world. Certainly we can correlate a big ego with success in the poker world (especially in tournament poker).There are psychological needs and wants when it comes to trying to become famous and recognized. There is no doubt that this is a driving force in Daniel's personality. I once again am not saying this is a bad thing or a good thing. Daniel is doing all of these interviews and running around all over the place for a personal reason. He wants to be known as the best poker player ever. It is quite a lofty goal and he is well on his way. I have nothing but respect for his game. I have played in 10k tournaments with both of these players. I will keep my opinion to myself about what I think about Mr. Greenstein's game. I have butted heads with Daniel more often earlier in my career than recently. I believe that Daniel has also gained some respect for my game although I still have a lot to learn. Just one time I hope that I am to his left. Having Daniel one or two seats to my left is not a good place to be sitting against a top player :club: !Finally. I doubt that Barry underestimates Daniel's game. The second tier player here is not really a put down in Daniel's ability to play but that Daniel had not frequented the 4k-8k game enough for Barry to really comment on Daniel's actual abilities. I don't see that as a put down but as a subliminal challenge for Daniel to play against him. There are motives behind what a person says about another. Whether it is conscious or subconscious. Think a little about why Barry would write something like this in the first place and I believe it will become more clear to everyone.The fact that Daniel is playing more 4k-8k might be moot if the big game does not go to Wynn. Barry does not live in Vegas hence the times that Barry and Daniel will meet in the bigger games will have to be at the tournament Venues. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. I am sure Daniel will not underestimate his opponents. Scott

This reminds me a little of Rocky 2. Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa. There is no clear under dog here, in my opinion. But the use of publicity is fairly similar. Just a random thought.

Barry Greenstein is a loser, I don't care how much he donates to charity when he says things like this. Daniel Negreanu is no doubt an icon in poker, if you asked any new poker player who Daniel Negreanu is as opposed to Chip Reeese, Doyle Brunson or Barry Greenstein they would definitely be able to tell you who DN was.

Barry Greenstein is a loser, I don't care how much he donates to charity when he says things like this. Daniel Negreanu is no doubt an icon in poker, if you asked any new poker player who Daniel Negreanu is as opposed to Chip Reeese, Doyle Brunson or Barry Greenstein they would definitely be able to tell you who DN was.
I think what you said is pretty absurd. Barry happens to be a poker genius. So are Chip Reese, Doyle Brunson, and Daniel Negreanu. It really isn't a popularity contest at all. It comes down to talent and results. It's pretty clear that Barry and Daniel are both winning players. Barrry might come across as being arrogant, and I'm not bothered by that at all. He's incredibly articulate in his posts. And if you read them carefully you will find that he is truly an intelligent man. People have no idea how difficult it is to beat the best in the world, or to play at that level. Well some do, lol. But Barry is part of that elite few. So my hat is off to him.

Your opinion is wrong about Barry. You are letting your emotions shine through. Obviously we tend to stick up for certain people and you are definitely on Daniel's side. Daniel has said some things in the past about people too that I felt was not in his best interest and in fact was similar to what Barry did here. That does not make it right or wrong nor should we really be involved in expressing our opinions on whose side we are on in these matters.Barry is not a loser. His achievements as a poker player is well known. If you thi9nk he is a loser because of what he said, I can quote some incidents that involved Daniel that are quite similar. I bet Daniel does not consider Barry a loser. Once again that does not mean that Daniel doesn't think he can play with Barry (or even beat him). Barry's background is similar to Paul Phillip's in regards to his intelligence level and has very strong background in math. Once again those who use their emotions in regards to expressing their opinion rather an an objective evaluation of the matter is one who will also tend to lose at the poker table. Emotional control is one other asset that these guys use to their advantage when sitting at the poker table. If you want to beat a player then beat the crap out of him without using emotions to influence your thinking. Use their emotions against them but do not fall into the same trap. Save your emotions until after the game. Then you can let them all out. Scott

Your opinion is wrong about Barry. You are letting your emotions shine through. Obviously we tend to stick up for certain people and you are definitely on Daniel's side. Daniel has said some things in the past about people too that I felt was not in his best interest and in fact was similar to what Barry did here. That does not make it right or wrong nor should we really be involved in expressing our opinions on whose side we are on in these matters.Barry is not a loser. His achievements as a poker player is well known. If you thi9nk he is a loser because of what he said, I can quote some incidents that involved Daniel that are quite similar. I bet Daniel does not consider Barry a loser. Once again that does not mean that Daniel doesn't think he can play with Barry (or even beat him). Barry's background is similar to Paul Phillip's in regards to his intelligence level and has very strong background in math. Once again those who use their emotions in regards to expressing their opinion rather an an objective evaluation of the matter is one who will also tend to lose at the poker table. Emotional control is one other asset that these guys use to their advantage when sitting at the poker table. If you want to beat a player then beat the crap out of him without using emotions to influence your thinking. Use their emotions against them but do not fall into the same trap. Save your emotions until after the game. Then you can let them all out. Scott
It might be better in the future, if you used a direct quote from the person you are speaking to or about. If you look at the previous post. I addressed this issue. Not to say that we both can't comment and agree or disagree on the issue. But when you start your paragraph off with "Your opinion is wrong about Barry". It looks like you and I have opposing opinions, and that you are commenting on MY last post. Normally this wouldn't matter to me. But I have a tremendous amount of respect for Barry. Just a suggestion.

I am not sure that I agree with Barry's claim that Doyle and Chip are the only Icons of poker, but I do agree that Daniel is not one of them as of yet. Simply being out and about in the poker community doesn't automatically qualify to make you an icon. This reminds me of the wrestling community a few years back, where a lot of wrestlers were making claims of being an icon. Without using the basic definition of the word (the definition that would apply here), I believe that in order for someone to be considered an icon in any field, they have to have transcended that particular field to become something of a household name, to people that don't necessarily follow that particular field. For example, Muhammed Ali is probably one of the most famous icons in the world. Michaael Jordan is another one. These individuals have transcended their particular fields to become known throughout the world. While I highly doubt that Chip Reese and even Doyle Brunson are household names throughout the world, Daniel is definately not. 6 or 7 years ago, I doubt that more than a few dozen people who frequent these forums had ever heard of either of these individuals (Doyle and Chip) unless they had read Super System before that time. For me personally, the only professional poker player that I can honestly say I have ever heard of would be Amarillo Slim Preston. That's not to say that I believe Amarillo Slim is an Icon (even though I have heard him referred as Poker's Greatest Ambassador on a fairly recent televised event), just that his is the only name that I can recollect knowing 6 or 7 years ago. I find nothing wrong with what Barry has written. :wink:

This is from 2+2 written by Barry Greenstein:5. I made the mistake of getting involved in a thread regarding Daniel’s integrity. I think Daniel is an honest person. The case can be made that Daniel is too honest with his frank opinions about other players and telling insights regarding his own psychological issues.
Is it just me, or is Barry not being "too honest with his frank opinionsabout other players" ???

Barry may have an ego, but he's not an as.s i mean he was relatively respectful in that post. as far as the shot of 2nd tier player.....his arguement is only in respect to those that play in the 4-8 game, when in reality its dumb to overlook daniels tournament results. If Ivey only played tournaments would BG refer to ivery as 2nd tier? doubt it

Barry is a great player and has been very generous. That's not being disputed. But I don't see how the fact that he's head over heels in love with himself slips under anyone's radar. It's so glaring that it makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth whenever I hear him speak or read anything he's written.

Let me clarify....I said that anybody that looks down his nose at 1000/2000 and 2000/4000 limits ...IMO...was mentally ill.....I was wrong.....If you look down your nose on those limits...YOU ARE mentally ill.(BTW...what I mean by looking down your nose, is what Barry G basically did...he made it out to be 1/2 or 3/6 or whatever.....like it was beneath him to play those limits.)Think of this......the buyin for those games is one of these:A Canary Diamond (large)A Ferrari or Lambo or Rolls RoyceA small condo on the beach in Miami.A small house in Miami.College education for 5 kids.Yeah...those buyins are crap......nice job Barry.....BTW...did you guys know that Barry G gives away alot of money to charity?

you get more ignorant with every post

So, let me get this straight. Barry’s criticisms of Daniel amount to:He talks too much.He hasn’t played me much.What’s the big deal here?Daniel would not dispute either criticism. He blog shows very little play against Greenstein, and he has not played “The Big Game” all that much. And we all know about Daniel discussing his “yapping” (his word, not mine) at the table.Of course, look at Barry. He is, by all accounts, a very quiet, thoughtful person who has succeeded HUGE in poker almost as long as Daniel has been eating solid food. Of course someone that seriously considers everything he says would sincerely think that saying someone is “too honest” as a criticism. If you look at Barry’s site, particularly his explanations of why he chose certain songs for certain player profiles, you can see that he worries a lot about offending people and giving too much away. Whereas here, you can see Daniel has had to spend a lot of time owning up to things he has said and done in the past. Again, the conflict should be obvious here, as should the fact that this does not require one to dislike or disrespect the other. So, like I said: What’s the big deal?

the company of truly intelligent people, fair rules actually adherred to by everyone
yikes :?
:angel: LOL Well, in comparison, say to the futures and stock markets which can be and often are massively manipulated; and surely you'll allow it takes an unusually well-oiled noggin to do the kind of multi-layered thinking required to read the cards, the people (and yourself) with consistent success in poker?

To offer a short assessment of Barry's thoughts:It seems to me that he perceives Daniel as a threat (as should any big stakes poker player) and is either trying to rationalize to himself why Daniel isn't one or is just trying to publically put Daniel down in the hopes that Daniel will buy into it and go away.The truth is that Daniel is a lot younger than some of the guys in the 4k/8k game but is a proven winner while playing there. When Daniel is Barry's age (or Chip's or Doyle's) he WILL be thought of as an enduring icon of poker, I don't think anyone can legitimately question that provided Daniel continues the way he has been going.If I were an ultra high stakes poker player I would be very respectful of Daniel's talent and I would be looking for ways to beat him, not belittle his accomplishments.

I LOVE IT!Who would care about these matchs if DN and Barry loved each other. Maybe they do, but throwing the jabs out there....this just made these matchs that much better. Tape them and put them on DVD...I'll buy it.GAME ON!