Shooting At My School

how do you know who to shoot if everyone has a gun though?oh yea, racial profiling, obv.- Jordan
No... the guy with a bomb... or the guy who attempts to hijack the airplane.That is usually the guy who gets up and shows some sort of weapon and starts handing out orders to people.Besides it wouldn't even come to that.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... the guy with a bomb... or the guy who attempts to hijack the airplane.That is usually the guy who gets up and shows some sort of weapon and starts handing out orders to people.Besides it wouldn't even come to that.
phew.
phew.
Was that an attempt to be funny? Have you listened to any arguement put forward? Do you think?@ SpeedKills- There is nothing we can do now but talk. We don't have all the information, and every time one of these terrible tragedy's happen, theissue of gun control will inevitably come up.

yea, i agree speed...i dont know why i couldnt believe this when i saw it today on the news...i should be getting used to this shit...and that's a sad statement to be made...im starting to actually feel nervous going to my classes at ohio state. freaking biggest campus in the country...although i guess that could make it safer, in a sense..anyways, thoughts go out to those directly affected by this shooting.- Jordan

kavero, yes i think.uhm, ive shot guns, i like it, it's fun w/e.i dont think eliminating guns, nor enabling us to carry them everywhere will resolve the issue we face today. it's much more simple than gun or no gun...ideally, removal of all guns would be best, but that's not possible so i think it's stupid to argue...but i will never agree that a bunch of people touting guns around would be more safe...random shootings might not happen as much, who knows...but i wouldnt like the fact that tons of ppl around me have loaded guns.i dont really even like the feeling of being at a shooting range with a shit ton of guns around me...just knowing that someone could turn around and shoot you in the face is a bit disconcerting and not something as a society we should have to put up with, to "ensure" that some random idiot doesn't lite up another school or something.anyways, im' really not going to get into a "debate" about this. my cousin just got a carry and conceal...good for him. he is also going to be a cop. i dont agree with a lot of what he "thinks", if you want to call what i hear him and some other people i know, "thinking", but i know he has a good heart and got his carry and conceal because of shit like this...but no, i would not feel good about random joe shmo walking around with a gun, with the logic that more guns = less violence = less shootings, cause some guy isn't going to start shooting people cause he is afraid to be shot himself.if someone wants to shoot someone, they are going to do it no matter what the consequence...cause the act of taking someone's life is not normally something a rational, consequence fearing, or aware person, cares about.- Jordan

^^^^ I guess being in another country I don't really insta feel the fear of what could happen.
not relaly afraid. anything could happen anytime...i dont live my life in fear...just saying, living on campus and going to big school..shit runs thru ur head, naturally.- Jordan

In almost every case, the gunman kills himself. If he's planning on taking a bullet to the brain anyways, how exactly is everyone else having a gun going to deter him? But if you're now gonna say it's not the deterrent effect, but the fact that someone could take him out before he shot too many people, are you really suggesting that everyone walk around locked and loaded? If that's the case, I'd much rather be in a room with 1 guy with a few guns than 200 scared kids firing indiscriminantly. But hey, that's my personal choice.

kavero, yes i think.uhm, ive shot guns, i like it, it's fun w/e.i dont think eliminating guns, nor enabling us to carry them everywhere will resolve the issue we face today. it's much more simple than gun or no gun...ideally, removal of all guns would be best, but that's not possible so i think it's stupid to argue...but i will never agree that a bunch of people touting guns around would be more safe...random shootings might not happen as much, who knows...but i wouldnt like the fact that tons of ppl around me have loaded guns.i dont really even like the feeling of being at a shooting range with a shit ton of guns around me...just knowing that someone could turn around and shoot you in the face is a bit disconcerting and not something as a society we should have to put up with, to "ensure" that some random idiot doesn't lite up another school or something.anyways, im' really not going to get into a "debate" about this. my cousin just got a carry and conceal...good for him. he is also going to be a cop. i dont agree with a lot of what he "thinks", if you want to call what i hear him and some other people i know, "thinking", but i know he has a good heart and got his carry and conceal because of shit like this...but no, i would not feel good about random joe shmo walking around with a gun, with the logic that more guns = less violence = less shootings, cause some guy isn't going to start shooting people cause he is afraid to be shot himself.if someone wants to shoot someone, they are going to do it no matter what the consequence...cause the act of taking someone's life is not normally something a rational, consequence fearing, or aware person, cares about.- Jordan
I actually semi agree with you on your last paragraph. But the part I agree about is only to deal with the death penalty.Before continuing I should clarify. I think there is a large difference between random insane killings, and well planned terrorist attacks.One I believe can be deterred through gun's being carried (terrorism) and one I think cannot be deterred (random killings)In short (without getting into another insane long discussion), an arguement for the death penalty (one thing I am very strongly against) is that it has that deterrent factor. I believe that people who are going to go crazy and do something that would ?warrent? the death penalty, are not goingto be deterred by anything, that they are in a state of insanity.I do however think that acts of terrorism will be deterred by the simple knowledge that that guy in the front row, could be carrying, and couldscrew up their plans.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I must point out to you that the vast majority of people are truly good people. They love their families, they pay their taxes, andthey are trying to do good for their fellow man. I would feel very safe walking through a crowded street knowing that people are carrying guns.For the simple fact that it makes it safer for me. Sure you can have the nut that will go nuts and try to kill someone, but withso many people carrying guns, the second he pulls the gun he wouldn't have a chance.Hell it already happens, why not give yourself a better chance at protecting yourself?More people with guns = safer for the good guys = a harder time for those evil/nutty people---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think thats what I wanted to say anyway. I had to write that while talking, discussing this exact same topic with my family, and having a different discussion on 2 different message boards, so if it made little to no sense, please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify.
Start a new thread for the gun talk and racial slurs/profiling, imo..........Deepest sympathys to anyone effected by the shootings at NIU...
Racial? When has anyone in this thread been racial?And when have I profiled? It is common knowledge (unless you are one of those retarded twoof movement people, in which case don't talk to me) thatthe terrorists who planned out and excecuted the September 11th 2001 murders, where of islamic belief and culture.

Wow man that is awful, I am glad to hear you are alright, and I hope you get through it ok.Regarding Kaveros and his ridiculous notion that arming airline passengers would prevent terrorism: Come on, if you are flying in a pressurized cabin at cruising altitude and somebody shoots a tiny hole in the side of the airplane, the cabin is going to rapidly lose air pressure, putting all of the passengers' lives at risk, and forcing the plane to attempt an emergency landing. Yeah, let's give everybody a gun.

thanks for all the kind words everybodyThe one thing that I am really pissed about is that for the last 5 hours or so, I have been hearing people bitch about our security and needing a better defense for this type of thing, when the truth is how do u prepare for this?My take on this is you can't prevent shit like this. If some psycho decides to just put a gun under their coat or in their bookbag, you can't stop or prepare for that. I am soo sick of hearing people, parents especially bashing our school because of this terrible event. I think it is very unfortunate that something like this happened but in reality, you can't prevent or stop things like this. We live in a very sick world, and everyday I think less of us as a society.
My thoughts are with you and your greek brothers and sisters (along with everyone else...). I can't imagine having to go through something like that in our greek community. Hopefully the girls pull through. Keep us, or at least me, updated.
Wow man that is awful, I am glad to hear you are alright, and I hope you get through it ok.Regarding Kaveros and his ridiculous notion that arming airline passengers would prevent terrorism: Come on, if you are flying in a pressurized cabin at cruising altitude and somebody shoots a tiny hole in the side of the airplane, the cabin is going to rapidly lose air pressure, putting all of the passengers' lives at risk, and forcing the plane to attempt an emergency landing. Yeah, let's give everybody a gun.
This would be a very convincing counter-argurment on your part except for one point.That is a very common myth that firing a gun inside a plane would cause it to depressurize and put passengers at risk, and is a lie. That simple.EDIT:And it is actually not "Kaveros'" notion. It is an idea that is held by many.
Racial? When has anyone in this thread been racial?And when have I profiled? It is common knowledge (unless you are one of those retarded twoof movement people, in which case don't talk to me) thatthe terrorists who planned out and excecuted the September 11th 2001 murders, where of islamic belief and culture.
I believe that "IWANTTOBERICHDAMMIT" said that some crazy white kid shot up a school or something along those lines. Sounds racist imo.
This would be a very convincing counter-argurment on your part except for one point.That is a very common myth that firing a gun inside a plane would cause it to depressurize and put passengers at risk, and is a lie. That simple.
I don't know which part is a lie. A hole in the skin of the plane would absolutely cause it to depressurize, and it would absolutely have to immediately drop to a lower altitude and make an emergency landing. Passengers might not be sucked out through the tiny hole, but it would still be extremely dangerous. Anyways, Rogue again I'm glad you're ok, this is really a terrible thing.
I don't know which part is a lie. A hole in the skin of the plane would absolutely cause it to depressurize, and it would absolutely have to immediately drop to a lower altitude and make an emergency landing. Passengers might not be sucked out through the tiny hole, but it would still be extremely dangerous. Anyways, Rogue again I'm glad you're ok, this is really a terrible thing.
Well you are actually mistaken. A hole or 2 the size of a bullet would not cause the cabin to depressurize and force the plane to make an emergency landing.Every plane has a pressurization system, which would compensate for the loss of pressure.Even if there were a hole, large enough that the pressurization system could not handle, that is when the plane's oxygen mask's would come into play (high altitude = not much oxygen)These situations however are the last resort, as terrorist attacks are very well planned, and very well organized. They arerun by very smart people, who would realize that more people than them + more guns than them = mission failed.

6 Dead In Science Class Massacre SLIDESHOW: NIU MassacreDE KALB, Ill. (CBS) ? Northern Illinois University massacre gunman Stephen Kazmierczak was described by the university's police chief Friday as "revered" by faculty and fellow students, and not one who would have been suspected to be violent. Kazmierczak, 27, most recently attended graduate school at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, but had previously attended NIU, according to NIU police Chief Donald Grady. Officials said Kazmierczak opened fire in a lecture hall shortly after 3 p.m. and the campus was immediately placed on lockdown. Police were on the scene within a few minutes, but the gunman had already killed himself by the time they arrived. A total of five people besides the gunman were killed. DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller said earlier reports of a sixth victim were incorrect. The people killed have been identified as Daniel Tarmenter, 20, of Westcheter; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; Julianna Gehant, 32, of downstate Meridan; and Gayle Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream, according to the DeKalb County coroner's office. Fifteen others have been hospitalized. By Friday morning, no motive had been established, Grady said. "We have found no notes at this time, so we have no idea what the motive was," he said. "We're still working on that." Kazmierczak had been a student at NIU in the spring of 2007. Grady said Kazmierczak had given a stellar impression to many he encountered. "He was an outstanding student. He was an awarded student," Grady said. "He was someone who was revered by the faculty and staff and students alike." The NIU Web site shows that Kazmierczak had been vice president of the university's Academic Criminal Justice Association. He also worked on an academic article with NIU professor Jim Thomas about self-injury in correction al facilities. In the abstract of the February 2006 article, he was described as "beginning graduate work at Northern Illinois University. In addition to his interests in corrections, political violence, and peace and social justice, he is co-authoring a manuscript on the role of religion in the formation of early prisons in the United States with Jim Thomas and Josh Stone. He is also develops content for online education and is an executive board officer of the NIU student chapter of the American Correctional Association." Kazmierczak brought four firearms – three handguns and a shotgun – to the lecture hall before opening fire, Grady said. He had purchased two of those firearms – a Remington and a Glock 9mm – from a gun dealer in Champaign-Urbana in recent weeks, Grady said. He had purchased them legally and there was no restriction on his buying them, said Kevin Cronin of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.Kazmierczak had been on medication, but he had stopped taking it and had "become somewhat erratic in the last couple of weeks," Grady said. He would not specify the condition that required the medication. The shooting happened at a geology lecture class in Cole Hall. Officials said Kazmierczak emerged from behind a screen at the front of the lecture hall and opened fire with a shotgun. When he entered the lecture hall, Kazmierczak was carrying the shotgun in a guitar case and had the ammunition concealed in his coat, Grady said. Witnesses said Kazmierczak shot the teacher, a graduate student instructor, and several students before killing himself onstage in front of the class. Witnesses described the shooting as "a very brief rapid-fire assault that ended with the gunman taking his own life," NIU President Peters said. Sheila Cosgrove was taking notes in the fifth row when the gunman opened fire. "He just walked out and just stood there on the stage and I guess he shot the teacher first, but I didn't see him shoot the teacher, I just saw him shooting at the crowd of students," Cosgrove said. Ducking behind seats, she started to crawl away, finally reaching the rear door. "I just heard shots, boom, boom, boom, and then I just kept going, I kept going. I saw blood dripping on the aisle and I just got up towards when I got to the end of the chairs because I couldn't crawl anymore. I was right by the door. I stood up and looked behind me and he was still shooting; he was shooting towards the other side of the aisle and I kind of felt his glare kind of looking at me and I just turned around really fast and kept going." David Healy is an NIU teaching assistant. "I saw people just running off of campus and people were crying and holding each other, police were running around everywhere, and the whole town was just a huge, loud siren," Healy said. Healy said he had a close friend who witnessed the shooting. "She said that the gunman came out of the door of the stage and everyone thought it was fake," Healy said, "and he started shooting and people started screaming and running, and it was just really hard to make it through, but she made it safe." Authorities said they recovered the shotgun and one of the handguns, but had not yet recovered the second handgun. Peters said the gunman was a had been an NIU student previously. The gunman was a graduate student studying sociology at NIU in the spring of 2007. Officials said they did not know why the gunman committed the massacre, and as far as they know, he had never been in trouble before. "A preliminary investigation showed he did not have a police record, and we had no record of him having any contact with the police while he was here," said NIU Vice President of Public Affairs Melanie Magara. Classes at the university have been canceled through the weekend, and Gov. Rod Blagojevich has declared a state of emergency. That will allow local governments to apply for reimbursements of costs releated to the response to the shootings, which will come out of the governor's disaster relief budget. The NIU Department of Public Safety is asking that any individuals who witnessed the Feb. 14 shooting, or who believe they have any information related to the shooting, call the University Tip Line at (815) 753-TIPS. Police will return calls as soon as possible. The FBI is processing the crime scene and the investigation is being aided by the Illinois State Police, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, the State Crisis Management Team, the City of DeKalb Police, City of Sycamore Police, DeKalb County Sheriff's Department, the Ben Gordon Center and the DeKalb, Sycamore and Cortland Fire Departments, as well as FEMA. ------------------This just sucks. Rogue hopefully everything is ok.