The Steven Stamkos Sweepstakes

fair enough...but can i still gloat when the Leafs beat the Pens on Saturday? :club:
Absolutely, as long as I can gloat when I'm watching the Penguins in the playoffs in April, and the Leafs are golfing. :ts
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Serge's hockey forum posts really illustrate why poker is such a profitable game for people who understand it. People get so rilled up over the short term swings, and somehow convince themselves that something happens 5 games into the season, that it's how the long-term will fall, so they trick themselves into thinking they are long term winners. Heh.
I think Serge's Stamkos post really illustrates why fantasy hockey/sports is such a profitable game for people who understand it.

Hasn't Stamkos looked pretty good so far though? That's at least what I've heard the hockey analysts say when watching tv. If he's playing well and isn't out of place the chemistry with his teammates will come and so will the points. The Lightning as a whole have struggled so its no surprise he's not scoring.

Hasn't Stamkos looked pretty good so far though? That's at least what I've heard the hockey analysts say when watching tv. If he's playing well and isn't out of place the chemistry with his teammates will come and so will the points. The Lightning as a whole have struggled so its no surprise he's not scoring.
If he has played well, they would play him more than 9 minutes a game.
He played 18 minutes his 2nd game. So far its looking like Melrose is an idiot to me.
Thats very possible..As a lot of people (including me) had Tampa improved this year...Maybe Melrose is the problem..
He played 6 minutes against Carolina and 9 minutes against the Islanders because in both those games, the Lightning had 9 penalties to kill and Stamkos doesn't kill penalties yet.
what did they do the other 42 minutes??

The owners have already had a discussion with their coaching staff regarding Stamkos' low ice time. Make of that what you will. I think its nothing but bad for the Lightning. The owners are putting a team together like the Kansas City Reserves of the FCHL.

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance he gets sent back to Sarnia?
I dont see how Tampa could do that after the marketing program they pitched all summer to their fans.My question is, where are they sending Vrbata (1pt), Malone (1pt), Roberts (0)?

The Habs pasted Maxime Lapierre's face all over the city last summer and he got sent to the AHL before the season started. Thats a whole different story though.

Stamkos home coming tonight in Toronto....We will hopefully show him some realy hockey, and send him back to junior after tonight...While Stamkos is far from being labeled a bust, it will be EXTREMELY difficult for him to win the rookie of the year...Ironically he was most peoples shoo in candidate..

Stamkos home coming tonight in Toronto....We will hopefully show him some realy hockey, and send him back to junior after tonight...While Stamkos is far from being labeled a bust, it will be EXTREMELY difficult for him to win the rookie of the year...Ironically he was most peoples shoo in candidate..
last season niklas backstrom had 9 points last year in his first 21 games last year - ended the season with 69 in 82. mueller started off with 2 points in his first 12 and ended up with 54 points. its not as if there is a rookie jumping out already, i think he still has a good chance. the lightning have already said he'd stay up all year.
563e308aa7700285f81e688533931af7-getty-82628207ds013_light_leafs.jpg
Holy crap this kid is good. I watched him last night away from the puck...... sooooo impressive. Pay no attention to his lack of points. This kid will score in bunches. As of today, I would definately say Doughty is the best of the draft playing in the league, but don't count Stamkos out.
Holy crap this kid is good. I watched him last night away from the puck...... sooooo impressive. Pay no attention to his lack of points. This kid will score in bunches. As of today, I would definately say Doughty is the best of the draft playing in the league, but don't count Stamkos out.
There's plenty of kids with offensive skills these days but to see such a young player with his talent when he doesn't have the puck is scary.
There's plenty of kids with offensive skills these days but to see such a young player with his talent when he doesn't have the puck is scary.
I agree.... the only one I've seen in the past couple of years with the same awareness away from the puck is Toews...
I agree.... the only one I've seen in the past couple of years with the same awareness away from the puck is Toews...
The kid did have some great speed and create a few great chances.
According to NHL 09 Crosby's Offensive Awareness is 99 and Defensive Awareness is 92. Toews is 90 and 79 respectively. Just saying. :)I can't find Stamkos as he wasn't in the game upon release. I'll try to remember to look for him since the rosters were updated.