Official I Joined A Gym Thread

So I have not been going to the gym per se, but I have been going on long walks with my wife and the kids, and on occasion we go on this walk hike with my mother in law, that is about 4 miles and it is all up and down steep hills. Think Lombard street in S.F. for 4 miles. Walking fast it takes us 45 minutes. Its kinda brutal.I have a interlocking dumbbell set, and I am inconsistently doing a circuit training workout on the weekends, and sporadically making it to the gym. But the walks, combined with eating better and very little sugar and late night snacks I am definitely shedding the inches. Not sure how much weight I have lost, but I can tell in the mirror, especially my face. My wife set up family portraits for beginning of November, so she is on a mission right now, which is good for me, because we can both be bad influences on each other as far as laziness and bad eating habits.Hope everyone else is getting less fat.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just joined up with LA fitness through my company. $25 initiation fee and 29.99/month for multi club.I've gone twice this week and damn my legs and arms are sore. I weighed in today at 215 and I am hoping to drop down to 200 by the end of the year. I trained with a friend of mine doing functional movements which includes a lot of squats, lunges, pushups, pull ups, and a variety of free weight exercises.Hopefully, I can stay with this. It'll be nice to be more in shape and not die after running for a mile.

I still can't run worth a frog's fart. if its not my shins feeling like they're going to snap in two, its my knees giving out so badly that I can barely walk for days. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, i mean, my form can't be THAT bad. I had to take this whole week off my knees were so messed up. I'm going to try again next week and hope for the best, but I tells ya, I'm starting to get discouraged. sucks too, cause save for the extreme pain, I really like running.

I still can't run worth a frog's fart. if its not my shins feeling like they're going to snap in two, its my knees giving out so badly that I can barely walk for days. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, i mean, my form can't be THAT bad. I had to take this whole week off my knees were so messed up. I'm going to try again next week and hope for the best, but I tells ya, I'm starting to get discouraged. sucks too, cause save for the extreme pain, I really like running.
I can't run either, but granted I haven't in a long time. But last time I worked out I tried to run on the treadmill and my knees were killing me in like 5 minutes. Type of thing I've actually never felt in the past. Although I also haven't run since I was in better shape. But geez.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months or so. I tipped in at 209. I threw my back out today shooting hoops. I really hope this is not long term, I am doing well. I was hoping to crack 200 by Nov.

I could only do like 5 pushups in the first test. It's sad how weak I've gotten.
I know this thread is to encourage and keep some motivation, but seriously, only 5. That is not good man.
I know this thread is to encourage and keep some motivation, but seriously, only 5. That is not good man.
I'm gonna try it right now. Can't do much with my messed up knee, but pushups are still on the list.
My buddy had the same problem and now he just runs on an elliptical dealy. I mock him constantly for it, but apparently it has helped.

The problem is that it's a combination of losing a lot of strength over the past couple years, plus all the added weight I now have to lift.It might've been 6 actually, but I put myself into the first column anyway.Even at my best I was never a big pushup person though. Maybe 25?

It's worth a shot, but I can't help to think that it doesn't seem at all realistic.
It depends on how long he is giving himself to complete the goal. I have seen people go from 44 pushups in 2 minutes to 100 in two minutes in a matter of months. They started doing my push-up routine of 1000 a day in increments of 25 throughout the day, 3 times a week. Mix that in with bench press and dip work and you'll start crushing them out.
It's worth a shot, but I can't help to think that it doesn't seem at all realistic.
I could care less if I ever get to 100, but if it even comes close to helping that much, I'm good.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm been pretty proud of myself for going 2-3 times/week the last few weeks. I had a goal of 3-4 times/week, but that was set before I started coaching hockey Mondays and Fridays for an hour, and got on another team where I play Sundays, in addition to the Saturdays I already was playing. Obviously, the coaching isn't that much of a workout, but I've been doing most of the skating with the players to get a little but of a sweat.No lbs dropped on the scale, but I can feel a small difference in fat vs. muscle.How are you slackers doing?

I'm been pretty proud of myself for going 2-3 times/week the last few weeks. I had a goal of 3-4 times/week, but that was set before I started coaching hockey Mondays and Fridays for an hour, and got on another team where I play Sundays, in addition to the Saturdays I already was playing. Obviously, the coaching isn't that much of a workout, but I've been doing most of the skating with the players to get a little but of a sweat.No lbs dropped on the scale, but I can feel a small difference in fat vs. muscle.How are you slackers doing?
Nice. Back at it "full time" finally. Ran on Tuesday, push-ups last night (gonna go ahead and give that program linked above a shot), and back to running tonight. I've definitely seen a drop-off in running, but I should be back to a decent pace/distance by December.
I've taken up competitive eating.
I've stopped eating.Literally, I forgot to eat yesterday except an apple and then at about 7:30 I had some leftover stew and a piece of bread.Starvation the worlds oldest and most effective diet.

I've been really focusing on eating less since I'm basically immobile.I'm running some indoor soccer drills for my son's rep team, but even then it's just a little moving around.I really, really need my knee fixed.

on a serious note though, on monday I switched from high rep/low weight lifting to about double the weight and low reps. monday was an intro day where I didn't go to hard, but yesterday I did 2 morning sets and 1 afternoon set and JESUS I am freaking sore today. I'm gonna have to buy a bigger keyboard so my guns won't interfere with my typing.

on a serious note though, on monday I switched from high rep/low weight lifting to about double the weight and low reps. monday was an intro day where I didn't go to hard, but yesterday I did 2 morning sets and 1 afternoon set and JESUS I am freaking sore today. I'm gonna have to buy a bigger keyboard so my guns won't interfere with my typing.
CHEST

I finally found a schedule to go to the gym regularly during the week and not feel like I'm going to pass out. It took me a while to get used to being up earlier in the morning, so my daily routine has been 8am-4pm: work4:15pm- 6:30pm: nap7pm-9pm: gym9pm- ??: relax?? - 7am: sleepI eat a protein bar or shake for breakfast, and have been absolutely living off of turkey sandwiches on whole wheat toast. I still eat like shit at least once or twice a week, but compared to the slacking I did for the last few weeks, it's been a lot better.