Official I Joined A Gym Thread

we did stairs in wrestling. there were these two flights of stairs right next to where the wrestling room was and we'd have to do them just about every practice, if not for just a horrible workout, for punishment of some kind. do like 20 reps and you pretty much wanted to die, and felt like your wish was probably going to be granted.the thing about doing it in groups like that though is that no matter how hard it sucks, you have all those other guys there that are doing it too, so you keep thinking "well if they can keep going then so can I" and they're thinking the same thing about you. sure is a hell of a lot more motivation than sitting on an exercise bike by yourself listening to remixes of avril lavigne.
For volleyball we did the elliptical a lotFor hockey all we did was take steroids and do squats and bench. CHEST
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Man this was on page 3 or 4...wtf!Well as always I come in here talk a big game then fall off the workout routine. Maybe posting in here is a bad thing. Sunday: treadmill 3.2mph Hill Level 5 45 minutes, 2.37miles light upper body workoutMonday: treadmill 3.2 mph Hill level 5 45 minutes 2.39 milesWednesday: Treadmill 3.5mph Hill Level 6 45 minutes 2.54miles, upper body workout

those mph's, how fast is it? walk, light jog, run? I ask because I've been running fairly steadily since may or so, and I still can't go for very long periods at all, and I may be going to fast.

those mph's, how fast is it? walk, light jog, run? I ask because I've been running fairly steadily since may or so, and I still can't go for very long periods at all, and I may be going to fast.
according to the machine I am on 4.0 mph is jog. 3.5 is a pretty fast walk. I want to be able to jog for long periods of time in a few weeks and hoping this gets me there but right now I can do about 4.2 mph on the machine for 3 minutes before I feel the need to puke.
How fast are you running? For how long?I'd say I'm an average runner and when I was running regularly, I would average around 30 minutes between about 7.5 and 8 mph. I'd call it a steady "run".Good to see this thread bumped, I was going to go looking for it. I'm getting back into the running this week, but starting light since I didn't go much over the summer. Hooray golf.
How fast are you running? For how long?I'd say I'm an average runner and when I was running regularly, I would average around 30 minutes between about 7.5 and 8 mph. I'd call it a steady "run".Good to see this thread bumped, I was going to go looking for it. I'm getting back into the running this week, but starting light since I didn't go much over the summer. Hooray golf.
I run outside so I don't know the mph, but when I first started I timed myself, and I was running a mile between 7:15 and 7:30 or so, and I think I may have sped up just a tad since then. I just don't like "jogging"; if I'm going to run I want to feel it.but my main problem isn't my lung capacity, its my legs. usually my first run of the week is fine, then the second is a little bit trying, and anything after that is extremely painful if possible at all. my calf muscles used to hurt a lot, but that went away, but the shin splints still get me every time. not sure what to do about it other than hope they go away eventually too.
I run outside so I don't know the mph, but when I first started I timed myself, and I was running a mile between 7:15 and 7:30 or so, and I think I may have sped up just a tad since then. I just don't like "jogging"; if I'm going to run I want to feel it.but my main problem isn't my lung capacity, its my legs. usually my first run of the week is fine, then the second is a little bit trying, and anything after that is extremely painful if possible at all. my calf muscles used to hurt a lot, but that went away, but the shin splints still get me every time. not sure what to do about it other than hope they go away eventually too.
7:30 miles are a good clip...8mph. I agree on jogging vs. running. Sometimes I tell myself, "I'll just take it easy tonight and go slow." Then I get bored and feel lazy because I know I can go harder. Shin splints, from what I understand, are awful. I've never had an issue with them. However, I have horrible running form so I'm assuming if I keep it up for a number of years, I won't be running past the age of 35 or so. My knee and calves bother me a bit.
Shin splints suck.Good shoes, soft surfaces, run slower, don't run everyday, stretch, do lunges and stuff as well, and it could be you your running form is similar to a person who has downs syndrome.
that caught me off guard and I laughed pretty audibly at work. I'm supposed to be working.but yeah, I guess I just have to keep moving up slowly or something. I want to be able to run a pretty brisk 2 or 3 miles a day by like march or something, and I have to do it on asphalt cause now that schools back in, there's no track to do it on. I had also laid off the squats, dead lifts, and calf raises since I was figuring I was working my legs anyways, but I just started again cause I figured they would actually help minimize injuries.I think I'll be ok though. I have all winter, and I ordered some sweatshirts and sweatpants from eastbay, so I'm ready for the cold. maybe after 4 years of working out I can finally stop being a fat ass this spring. that would be nice.
Shin splints, from what I understand, are awful. I've never had an issue with them. However, I have horrible running form so I'm assuming if I keep it up for a number of years, I won't be running past the age of 35 or so. My knee and calves bother me a bit.
see this is what gets me, I mean a LOT of people run a LOT so why the hell am I having so much of a problem with them? hell I know fat people that can run 5 miles without a problem. what the hell. and yeah my knees used to bother me quite a bit, but they've gotten better too.

You can do either cardio first or last like stated before its a preference. I like to do alot of workouts with free weights thats just my preference. If I use a machine its usually for legs, or butterfly'sA good cardio workout is def boxing my gym has it, but since yours is a small town gym I bet they don't have it.Another way to put in some cardio and weights at the same time is do circuits, those are pretty brutal at times

You can do either cardio first or last like stated before its a preference. I like to do alot of workouts with free weights thats just my preference. If I use a machine its usually for legs, or butterfly'sA good cardio workout is def boxing my gym has it, but since yours is a small town gym I bet they don't have it.Another way to put in some cardio and weights at the same time is do circuits, those are pretty brutal at times
is this post completely random or is it just me?

I completely fell out of my workout routine yet again. No surprise there I guess. It was going good for 3 or 4 weeks, and then I started eating take out again and drinking every night, which left me no desire to work out. I fail at life.

is this post completely random or is it just me?
HMMM..... I don't know brah, just kinda read the OP then hit that little reply button...... you know how it goes?....... do you?......
HMMM..... I don't know brah, just kinda read the OP then hit that little reply button...... you know how it goes?....... do you?......
Normally, sista, people tend not reply to the OP 590 posts later as there has been a long discussion that has changed course. No biggie but your random post will get lost in the current conversation.
My goal is to get into good enough shape to complete a beginner's triathlon (375-m swim; 10K bike; 2.5K run) in the summer.
but since he did bring up the op again, how'd that triathlon go there jeff?
I completely fell out of my workout routine yet again. No surprise there I guess. It was going good for 3 or 4 weeks, and then I started eating take out again and drinking every night, which left me no desire to work out. I fail at life.
I'm with ya there.But, I got back to the gym last night. Felt good. My Special Lady Friend, room mate (AKA my brother's gf), and her friend also joined. That should keep me going more.