Matusow's New Year's Resolution

So laughable:The ambitious Mike “The Mouth” Matusow has more than one resolution.“Play less Internet poker and have a better 2008 than 2007, which will be hard to do. Also, concentrate on marketing myself and remain one of the top three players in the world,” he said.Here's the full article:http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/artic...ars-resolutionsTalk about a delusional person. If you grouped the top 100 live and online players in the world, he wouldn't even be in the top 100.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A less common goal for 2008 comes from the always frisky, David “Devilfish” Ulliot. When asked what his New Year’s resolution was, he said, “Drink more vodka, and (*word censored for content purposes) more women.” :club:

A less common goal for 2008 comes from the always frisky, David “Devilfish” Ulliot. When asked what his New Year’s resolution was, he said, “Drink more vodka, and (*word censored for content purposes) more women.” :club:
Modest goals.Matusow... a top 3 player in the world... dunno about that one.
Modest goals.Matusow... a top 3 player in the world... dunno about that one.
He's not even close to being top 100, let alone top 3.I'd like to know who he thinks are the other two top 3 players in the world. Probably Ivey and Antonius.
So laughable:The ambitious Mike “The Mouth” Matusow has more than one resolution.“Play less Internet poker and have a better 2008 than 2007, which will be hard to do. Also, concentrate on marketing myself and remain one of the top three players in his own world,” he said.

<loose interpretation> Maybe he means top 3 marketable players in the world - he would definitely be in the running for that.I think my top 3 would be Hellmuth, Negreanu, Matusow if it were marketability.

<loose interpretation> Maybe he means top 3 marketable players in the world - he would definitely be in the running for that.I think my top 3 would be Hellmuth, Negreanu, Matusow if it were marketability.
Shhhhh... Phil Gordon might hear you!
He's not even close to being top 100
How do you figure?
How do you figure?
Use your own deductive reasoning. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is or as the general public thinks he is. He just happened to have a really loud personality and got deep in a couple tourneys at the height of the poker boom. Of course people are going to think hes good if he's always on TV.

OMG!Are you guys serious? I didn't say he sucks. I said I think its funny that he regards himself that highly amongst the elite poker community.Jesus.

Use your own deductive reasoning. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is or as the general public thinks he is. He just happened to have a really loud personality and got deep in a couple tourneys at the height of the poker boom. Of course people are going to think hes good if he's always on TV.
Your retarded. He has over 6 million in tourney winnings(1.6 this year) and is regarded as one of the best o8 players in the world.Edit you said he wasnt a top 100 player
He said he wants to have a better 2008 than 2007, but it would be hard to do. Did he do anything in 2007? I am not recalling anything. But my memory is bad.
Hendon Mob profile/resultsPoker Superstars III: 1st for $500kBellagio Cup: 2nd for $671kBorgata Poker Open (WPT): 6th for $271k

Matusow is a good player for sure but he is a bit of a degenerate, tilts like shit and blows up. I would say he is top 100 but his faults make him way out of the top 3.

Anyone else think Devilfish can have this sewn up by February?
"Good" is always relative. He's one of the most "recognizable" faces/voices in the poker world. He's insanely marketable to the poker demographic. That alone may land him top 3.. Think about it. Who is a better face for your poker product? DN. Hellmuth... Um.... errr...... hmmm... Doyle!Matusow is definitely insanely marketable. And him and Gus *easily* have the best Full Tily commercials. Special not to Seidel/Lederer for "cleverness" in theres, albeit the bracelet schtick is essentially lost to the general public.
Your retarded. He has over 6 million in tourney winnings(1.6 this year) and is regarded as one of the best o8 players in the world.Edit you said he wasnt a top 100 player
One of the best o8 players in the world? Really? Gimme some sources here. I'm not contesting it, it's just the first time I've ever actually heard that. He'd be 10x more fascinating to me if this was true. Paging Daniel!

I think Matusow was talking about his marketability as top3 in the game as previously stated in this thread. I think Matusow was a very marketable player but he takes "mouth" persona to far now and he has become annoying to watch on tv. It was a great story in 05 with shades of Stu Ungar overcoming demons to have an excellent WSOP performance. There are a ton of better players out there but none with the charisma that Mike or DN or even Helmuth possess. When I watch poker on tv these days it is for entertainment not for education so I would much rather watch one of those 3 than say Pham or any of the internet guys starting to dominate the live circuit.

I don't like MM....but I think when he is on he is one of the absolute best. When he is off, he couldn't walk out of an average home game with any cash. He has over $5.5 Million in Tournament winnings.Didn't the story go that when he got out of prison he turned a $5,000 stake into something like a Quarter of a Million in Live Cash play in just a couple of months? Then he went on the crazy run where he won the Tournament of Champions and then completely donked off every bit of it in online sports betting. From my arm chair - he seems like a classic Manic-Depressive who can get into the zone and be unbeatable, but then swing to the other end of the spectrum and completely self-destruct. And not just at Poker.

I know that a lot of people don't like Mike at all, and I can see why. He has a lot of personal demons, and he annoys the shit out of people, but I think he is a good guy. He can be very very funny at the table also, and watching him make that run at the 05 ME was really exciting and good for the game. I just wish that Lazaro didn't suck out on him on that flush, pretty disgusting.

One of the best o8 players in the world? Really? Gimme some sources here. I'm not contesting it, it's just the first time I've ever actually heard that. He'd be 10x more fascinating to me if this was true. Paging Daniel!
Cardplayers database lists 11 O8 cashes, 3 major wins Including 1 WSOP Braclet and 1 runner up at the series.Also not that most people count it for much but Hellmuth always says hes the best O8 tourney player in the world.
Cardplayers database lists 11 O8 cashes, 3 major wins Including 1 WSOP Braclet and 1 runner up at the series.Also not that most people count it for much but Hellmuth always says hes the best O8 tourney player in the world.
I think I remember Hellmuth saying that he would bet on Matusow against anyone in an O8 tourney. Think it was an episode of HSP.