27 replies to this topic

#21 mcpickl

mcpickl

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:36 PM

Lil_Hellmuth said:

You would have to fold the 2-3 of clubs in this situation.
why?

#22 Lil_Hellmuth

Lil_Hellmuth

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Poker

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

mcpickl said:

Lil_Hellmuth said:

why?
Why would you call here. It is definitely -EV. You cannot beat anything. Hope that the board will play, that is all.

#23 greatwhite

greatwhite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:poker, skiing, movies, following the yankees, knicks, and jets , and traveling
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit Omaha

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:28 AM

What was the board? Unless it was like 4,5,7,8 ,9 I wouldn't even fold 23 here. I'd hope they were bluffing a garbage hand like 34 if the board was 5,6,8,9,10

#24 SuperJon

SuperJon

<3

• Members
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:05 AM

I think you all are forgetting the most important reason to call, to get information. If I'm ever given 5 to 1 or more in a tournament by someone's bet on the river. As long as it doesn't hurt a huge portion of my stack, I'm calling just to see what he was playing with and how he was playing. It's a simple tournament fact, you can't get good reads on people if you can't see their cards.

#25 chipkingpin

chipkingpin

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

If I'm getting over 25 to 1 on my money I see no reason not to call with an ace high (sometimes). For 700 to 1 im gonna call playing the board. One time I called when I was almost certain i was beat but I was getting 200 to 1 on my money. The flop was Q74 and i had 56 I was betting agressively and then the board paired twice it was Q74Q7 and this guy bets 20 into a 2000 pot. So i call with 6 high, he shows 33. But anyway when youre getting those odds you might as well just call and hope theyre playing the board.

#26 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

If I'm getting over 25 to 1 on my money I see no reason not to call with an ace high (sometimes). For 700 to 1 im gonna call playing the board. One time I called when I was almost certain i was beat but I was getting 200 to 1 on my money. The flop was Q74 and i had 56 I was betting agressively and then the board paired twice it was Q74Q7 and this guy bets 20 into a 2000 pot. So i call with 6 high, he shows 33. But anyway when youre getting those odds you might as well just call and hope theyre playing the board.
That's the kind of situation where you have a very real chance of not only chopping, but winning.When you can't even _chop_ with a 4 high, the combinations of hands that you have beat (none) and chop with are almost nill, especially if your 2/3 is of the suit that there was a flush draw of. There are 6 combination of hands that you chop with and thousands of possible combinations that you lose to. Of the 6 combinations you chop with, none are reasonable at all. Not that it really matters. I mean, even if you fold, you have to double through 10 times in order to be back to your stack before the hand (approximately). The probability of that happening is comparable to the probability of you chopping with 2/3 here.edit: nevermind, i thought it was the BB putting in 4 of his chips and the SB that folded.

how about the guy that folded at the .05 - .10 on the poker stars i dont know billionth hand for 48 cents when the winner won 50k?
I think that'd make for an interesting hand.How do you maximize your chance of winning a hand? Does it matter what you actually have? Do you go all in preflop? Do you raise substantially preflop and push on the flop no matter what comes?Your cards almost done matter.Obviously you never fold; that's a given.

#27 jayistheman

jayistheman

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,815 posts
  • Interests:billiards, poker, sleep, software development, videogames, fly fishing, hiking, camping

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

Lil_Hellmuth said:

no. you dont fold anything.the information alone is worth it.

#28 Andersun

Andersun

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Poker.

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

SuM827 said:

I just saw a guy fold getting 738.5 to 1 on his money at the river. That's got to be some kind of record.
Posted ImageThere was no hand. Everything happened as it normally would in any tournament. You were watching "Survivor Guatemala" all day and didn't even turn on your pc once. You're happy and love popsicles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users