Interesting Social Experiment

This was the most intriguing part to me:"Every single time a child walked past, he or she tried to stop and watch."I wish they had explored this a little more. Does this really mean anything? Would a child have the same reaction if the musician wasn't very good? The article briefly suggests that a child might have some innate knowledge of music, but it doesn't go any deeper than that.Anyway, great article.

This was the most intriguing part to me:"Every single time a child walked past, he or she tried to stop and watch."I wish they had explored this a little more. Does this really mean anything? Would a child have the same reaction if the musician wasn't very good? The article briefly suggests that a child might have some innate knowledge of music, but it doesn't go any deeper than that.Anyway, great article.
I thought that was really interesting also.I found something similar when I would usually buy a new CD and listen to it in the car with my kids. It was amazing how often the songs my kids like are the ones that 2-6 months later are released as singles and would become extremely popular. It would be interesting to see an expanded experiment just on children's reactions to music.
That part struck me too. My first initial personal reaction is that kids are less worried about things like time and responsibilities of time, and therefore, are more likely to stop to actually live in moments like this. As adults we rush through moments always on the quest for the next moment. Children, not so much. I think it's an important distinction to remember and perhaps try to recapture.

What a fantastic, fantastic article. Thanks so much for pointing it out. It really makes a fascinating statement about us, doesn't it? I'm not quite sure what to make of it just yet - although I wish they included a video of the entire performance.Edit: Found the complete audio, at least.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7040900536.html

Kids have not developed their sense of social akwardness I would think. Also If kids are interested with something their minds will dart to it maybe briefly but their curiousity drives them, if it was'nt inherent in them they would have a difficult time learning. Many adults will avoid stopping and listening especially if they are the only ones because it is almost intimate between themselves and the musician. Er um, its just you and me and I guess I'm supposed to give you money, is it weird if i stay here long, its just easier for most people to not make eye contact and keep moving then risk an akward moment. Kids on the other hand have not developed the sense to care in many situations, of course there are kids that are very shy but its usually in situations were they are confronted by an adult.
Good read, interesting to see how this experiment would do if it was redone in a busy downtown area at night.
That was my thought... do it after a ball game or concert, as people are on their way out and don't have anywhere to go. On the way to work, people are just bracing themselves for the day, trying to get their commute and the bad part of their day over with. Do it at a mall on a Saturday and see what happens.At any rate, interesting article.

Excellent article.It reminded me of a few months ago when I was working at a cafe and there was nowhere to sit during my lunch break so I went outside and leaned on a cement stump thingy (forgotten the word) to eat my baguette. There was an old man playing violin and he was very good, so even after I finished my baguette I stayed and listened. I didn't have any money on me so after he was finished with the song I went up to him and offered him a hot drink from my cafe (it was freezing outside). We had a little conversation and I told him that I used to play violin when I was younger etc. After a while chatting he said that cds are very cheap these days so he makes cds of violin music and wraps them up in nice paper, then when a child expresses interest in his playing he gives them a cd. He encourages them to start playing violin themselves and hopes the cd will inspire them. He gave me a cd too and until now I lost it and so I haven't listened yet, but now that I have read this article I went and found it and I will listen to it.

It reminded me of why I'm better than everyone else.
As for the kids issue, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a child's innate ability to recognize good music.Kids like distractions. Kids don't understand being in a rush to get somewhere. Kids would stop and stare at me playing the trumpet for the first time in 20 years. That's right, I played the trumpet in elementary school. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
As for the kids issue, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a child's innate ability to recognize good music.Kids like distractions. Kids don't understand being in a rush to get somewhere. Kids would stop and stare at me playing the trumpet for the first time in 20 years. That's right, I played the trumpet in elementary school. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
agreed with your assessment (even though I didn't read the article. I printed it and intend to read it later)Trumpet? haha, :blowing joke here:Hey, my parents signed me up for violin heading into the 6th grade. Thank god I got a hairline fracture in my elbow from pitching and got stuck in a cast for 3 months (pitching, as in baseball. I was only catching sexually at that time)

Sweet article, sweet concept.But here are my two favorite parts: What is beauty? Is it a measurable fact (Gottfried Leibniz), or merely an opinion (David Hume), or is it a little of each, colored by the immediate state of mind of the observer (Immanuel Kant)?We'll go with Kant, because he's obviously right...And:Bell's a heartthrob. Tall and handsome, he's got a Donny Osmond-like dose of the cutes, and, onstage, cute elides into hott.I just like the casual tone the writer slips into during the writing of the article. Especially his use of the word "hott."Wang

agreed with your assessment (even though I didn't read the article. I printed it and intend to read it later)
stop wasting paper, you suv-driving, bush-loving p.o.s.
agreed with your assessment (even though I didn't read the article. I printed it and intend to read it later)
You have got to be the laziest mother fucker I've ever met in my life.
stop wasting paper, you suv-driving, bush-loving p.o.s.
I hate bush, especially on women. I prefer shaved. I do drive an SUV, its the only car I fit in. And I can't be staring at the computer screen for 20 minutes at work. You think you're better than me?
You have got to be the laziest mother fucker I've ever met in my life.
You shut your face.
I listen to classical music all the time, usually when doing schoolwork. I would have stopped, as long as I wasnt late for something.
I enjoy piano classical.It is a bit of a loaded test. Morning rush hour, nobody has time for that stuff. I get that its trying to prove people don't notice beauty in a mundane setting, but still. As much as I'd like to say I woulda stopped, its tough. People budget their time frugally in the morning. I'd like to see them try it at 5pm.
I enjoy piano classical.It is a bit of a loaded test. Morning rush hour, nobody has time for that stuff. I get that its trying to prove people don't notice beauty in a mundane setting, but still. As much as I'd like to say I woulda stopped, its tough. People budget their time frugally in the morning. I'd like to see them try it at 5pm.
Me too, I'm a big Chopin fan. Thats true, they do it on the way home from work and I'll bet a lot more people stop.
Me too, I'm a big Chopin fan. Thats true, they do it on the way home from work and I'll bet a lot more people stop.
You changed your av since your last post. You sir, are a madman.Is that the brother from Rescue Me? If so, when is that show coming back. Best show on tv. Well, top 5 definitely.
You changed your av since your last post. You sir, are a madman.Is that the brother from Rescue Me? If so, when is that show coming back. Best show on tv. Well, top 5 definitely.
First off, thanks for noticing.Secondly, its Eric from Entourage.C, I assume Rescue Me will return after the Shield.Lastly, you are right, Rescue Me is top 5.
First off, thanks for noticing.Secondly, its Eric from Entourage.C, I assume Rescue Me will return after the Shield.Lastly, you are right, Rescue Me is top 5.
Its obvious now that you tell me, but at first glance, he looks like Johnny (I think) from Rescue Me.