Champions League

Uh-huh, now James, Simo and I may disagree on things but they don't come away with downright daft comments, thats my thing.But to say Barca weren't better is offside. They are technically better and Man U had to be at their best to stop them getting through to EVDS. They didn't get a chance to finish and credit to Rio and co for that but "all lead up" was so good at times it left Man U reeling. And lucky not to lose by more? Maybe because Valdes was flapping at crosses but other than the goal Man U only had one shot on target.It was a good close game. But Barca are a technically gifted side who pass the ball better than anyone in Europe but they only showed that sporidically tonight, Messi apart.
lol at Barca being technically better, it's a clutching at straws argumentAt no point did Barca look to truly challenge VDS save for one Henry attempt and the one that VDS flubbed. ManU wasn't exactly reeling as often as you're trying to put on. Were there a few scary moments, sure, but it's not like ManU just sat back and defended like you are implying after Scholes scoredit was clear that ManU was attacking from the 30thminute on, I'm really not sure how you didn't see that and aren't exactly acknowledging that. Nani had two quality attempts on goal, of which he should've finished off one. ManU was also putting themselves in more attacking situations then Barca were inside the 18you say taht Barca are a techinically gifted team, and you're right, but you certainly are ignoring the fact that ManU have played some of the prettiest football this season too. If we had Vidic and Rooney healthy and Anderson playing, you certainly would've seen much more flowing football from us. Fergie made the line up to solely go for the result. Trying to claim otherwise is just foolish
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol at Barca being technically better, it's a clutching at straws argumentWho's clutching at straws? They are. It's a fact, but it doesn't matter sometimes the better side doesn't win. Watch the UEFA cup. Rangers have ground and bored their way past far superior sides.At no point did Barca look to truly challenge VDS save for one Henry attempt and the one that VDS flubbed. ManU wasn't exactly reeling as often as you're trying to put on. Were there a few scary moments, sure, but it's not like ManU just sat back and defended like you are implying after Scholes scoredIt isn't all about shots on goal. Man U defended and protected their goalkeeper very well. When did I say they sat back and defended? They were forced to by Barca, and I didn't say Man U didn't try and get forward, they did at every opportunity. But they were marshalled well also.it was clear that ManU was attacking from the 30thminute on, I'm really not sure how you didn't see that and aren't exactly acknowledging that. Nani had two quality attempts on goal, of which he should've finished off one. ManU was also putting themselves in more attacking situations then Barca were inside the 18you say taht Barca are a techinically gifted team, and you're right, but you certainly are ignoring the fact that ManU have played some of the prettiest football this season too. If we had Vidic and Rooney healthy and Anderson playing, you certainly would've seen much more flowing football from us. Fergie made the line up to solely go for the result. Trying to claim otherwise is just foolishI remember Nani's right foot lash that went somewhere in the vicinty of row Z, that's it from him. And Manchester have played some beautiful stuff. But against the top boys, they have changed their game. It's worked for the most part but I, and I think the Man U fans on here, would rather they played their fluent attacking football every week. But as I've said It isn't the games against Fulham, Bolton and Wigan that matter it's the big ones and time and again they have come up short. Tonight they didn't, kudos to them.
you say taht Barca are a techinically gifted team, and you're right, but you certainly are ignoring the fact that ManU have played some of the prettiest football this season too. If we had Vidic and Rooney healthy and Anderson playing, you certainly would've seen much more flowing football from us.
and if Ronaldinho wasn't injured, there's no way you keep barca scoreless. Man U looked in much higher form this leg, attacking much more. I think barca's style is infuriating at times.Am I alone in thinking that Henri should have played the entire match? What a waist of a season this has been for him. Come on all Northern Final, one time!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So chuffed about todays result. Sure, it may not have been the prettiest performance, but I havent seen such an outstanding defensive display all season. The team played with real passion and grinded out the result they needed.

Am I alone in thinking that Henri should have played the entire match? What a waist of a season this has been for him. Come on all Northern Final, one time!
I think the fact is that as well as starting on the bench, henry has been playing on the left a lot, which doesnt suit him. He generally has not adapted to Barcelonas patient build-up style of play from Arsenals direct counter-attacking style. Shame.
and if Ronaldinho wasn't injured, there's no way you keep barca scoreless. Man U looked in much higher form this leg, attacking much more. I think barca's style is infuriating at times.Am I alone in thinking that Henri should have played the entire match? What a waist of a season this has been for him. Come on all Northern Final, one time!
Ronaldinho hasn't really been in form the past two seasons. He just hasn't looked the same player since WC 06. What he really needs is a change of sceneryLBJ- you must not have been watching the match as Nani had 3 chances on goal that I can think of(including the one you mentioned) off hand: the header that he just put wide, a glorious chance in front of the goal which he pooched, and the one he sky'd.The fact is, ManU were the better side as they imposed their will on Barca from the 30th minute on. Don't let your disdain for them blind you from that fact. THey were in more attacking situations then barca were and were certainly threatening the goal more(please don't even try to use shots on target as we all know that ManU were inside the barca box way more often then barca were in ManU's box)
Ronaldinho hasn't really been in form the past two seasons. He just hasn't looked the same player since WC 06. What he really needs is a change of sceneryLBJ- you must not have been watching the match as Nani had 3 chances on goal that I can think of(including the one you mentioned) off hand: the header that he just put wide, a glorious chance in front of the goal which he pooched, and the one he sky'd.The fact is, ManU were the better side as they imposed their will on Barca from the 30th minute on. Don't let your disdain for them blind you from that fact. THey were in more attacking situations then barca were and were certainly threatening the goal more(please don't even try to use shots on target as we all know that ManU were inside the barca box way more often then barca were in ManU's box)
a) It's LJB, James has called me LBJ before too :club: b ) I have nothing against Man Utd, I love watching them play. Ronaldo is gifted, Evra is a joy, Tevez/Rooney are very exciting. I just happen not to rate Anderson/Nani as highly as everyone else...yet. I'm quite happy to be proved wrong in the future. I do have a problem with how the English media portrays their teams/league, but maybe that's a Scottish thing.I forgot about Nani's header, sorry. But that was pretty ugly too!Anways, hoping for a Liverpool/Manchester final for historic rivalry purposes! And laughing at Chelsea purposes

Come on you Blues! Totally dominating... well, as far as I can tell from the live text updates on the BBC website. By the way you guys, I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, but there's a whole board for football (Sports- Football). Just thought you should know.

Chelsea deserved it.Liverpool were much better in match 1, but Chelsea left with a draw, albeit a lucky one, but noone complains when Man U went abroad this season played bad and came away with a draw.A professional display etc.Chelsea looked great, the first half, they were brilliant, you could finally see the paper team coming to life. As a neutral, if you look over the team sheets and decide which team you would prefer in the final. Its obviously Chelsea.And Avram Grant personally I love. He is so bland and unexpressive, usually, and then you find out his wife drank piss on national Israeli TV.All my friends are Liverpool fans so I usually naturally support them, but I'm well happy with Chelsea in the final.If I was Manchester, I would have prayed Liverpool got through.Edit: Lady, yea when Im in work I live off the BBC update, it's quality.

Avram Grant paid an emotional tribute to Frank Lampard after he guided Chelsea to the Champions League final six days after his mother's death. Lampard's extra-time penalty helped the Stamford Bridge club to a 4-3 aggregate victory over Liverpool and the Chelsea boss said: "Frank is a brave man. "Frank was very close to his mother and what has happened to him over the last few days has not been easy. "He played extremely well and is a little bit happy now." On his return from compassionate leave, the midfielder calmly converted his spot kick before wheeling away on an emotional celebration. After kissing the black armband worn in tribute to his mother, Pat, he pointed to his father, Frank senior, in the crowd in a sentimental moment. Lampard walked from the pitch to tumultuous applause when he was replaced by Andriy Shevchenko shortly before the final whistle. And Grant added: "It was his decision to play and he played extremely well. We spoke about it yesterday and it was decided he should play then." Grant had his own reasons for celebrating Chelsea's historic victory. At the final whistle the Blues manager knelt on the pitch and offered a prayer in remembrance of his family members killed in the Holocaust. The Israeli is due to visit the concentration camp at Auschwitz on Thursday to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day. "It was not an easy day for me," he said. "It is Holocaust Day in my country and I was thinking of my father, who buried my grandfather with his own hands, and I am very proud of what we did. "It was very emotional. I owe a lot to my parents. My father survived the Holocaust and had to bury many of his family but he is the strongest and most optimistic man I have ever met." Grant controversially replaced Jose Mourinho in September 2007, less than three months after joining Chelsea as director of football. Mourinho won successive Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006, and reached two Champions League semi-finals, but Grant has now led Chelsea to a first ever final in Europe's elite club competition.
Bloody hilarious.
When I first heard about it on the radio, I thought it was Man U's Ronaldo, and I was filled with glee, and was about to cut and paste an article about it to mock Red Devil Supporters.. but then I found out it was fat Ronaldo, which is still pretty funny.
When I first heard about it on the radio, I thought it was Man U's Ronaldo
So did I tbh. If it was, he'd never hear the end of it.I think Ronaldo is actually going to come away relatively unscathed from this. I think it will pass pretty quickly.
So did I tbh. If it was, he'd never hear the end of it.I think Ronaldo is actually going to come away relatively unscathed from this. I think it will pass pretty quickly.
Well, other than the crying game chants he's gonna have to listen to for the rest of his career...
In other news, how funny is Ronaldo ( Brazilian) Tranny scandal?
completely hilarious. I can just imagine that he's there and goes over to the first one:"WTF, she's a HE. okay, onto the second one: O NOES, SHE'S A HE TOO. okay, okay, lightning can't strike three times can it: O BLOODY HELL IT CAN."
the thing is, isn't this sort of beahavior expected from him at this point

On the subject of the Champions League Final, is anybody here going to try and get a ticket? Seems like the Russians don't want to make it easy for the English visitors.......

On the subject of the Champions League Final, is anybody here going to try and get a ticket? Seems like the Russians don't want to make it easy for the English visitors.......
Actually it seems like the opposite, if you have a match ticket you won't need a Visa to enter Russia.
Actually it seems like the opposite, if you have a match ticket you won't need a Visa to enter Russia.
Evidence? I know the FA and Russian/English governments were working on pushing through visas quickly. The normal waiting time is 4 weeks I believe.
Evidence? I know the FA and Russian/English governments were working on pushing through visas quickly. The normal waiting time is 4 weeks I believe.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7384367.stmI think it was about the only thing they could do, no way they could deal with 40k visa applications in time for the final.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7384367.stmI think it was about the only thing they could do, no way they could deal with 40k visa applications in time for the final.
Thanks. Good to see they took a sensible option.