Champions League

Man I feel so bad for John Terry.Congrats Man U fans, enjoy.Such a good game for the neutral, it had everything. Man U dominated first half, Chelsea were brilliant second.What a great bloody game.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving it :5c:club::ts:D :D :4h Former Liverpool and City player missing the pen to give us the trophy, top stuff.

Wow .. just wow!Unreal, great game. CHAMPIONS!!!! Thought we'd lost.. omg, so good. :club:
it was soooo painful to see Terry head Giggs' shot away. I really thought that was our chance
First of all, I would only do a straight up bet... I'm not going to give up 1-0 and 1-1 penalty wins, there's no value in that.Second off, the avatar/sig/loc-type bets are generally done between passionate fans of the teams involved. I am not a fan of Chelsea, so I don't really want to make that kind of bet..third, it's moments before the game, so moot point
Ah, it's all a bit of banter! I don't support Chelsea either, but James usually comes up with some interesting props, but I doubt he'll ever go against his boys soI have to take the bad side. Simo took a bet on basketball the other day and I don't think he watches the sport!Anyways, good game, literal game of 2 halves. Just before John Terry's penalty I did say "This has a Beckham slip all over it" and lo it happened! Tomorrow night the SPL gets decided, got to get the little games out of the way first :club:

I'm sorry for being the guy who knows hardly anything about soccer to criticize it, but why is it a good thing that the entire championship comes down to penalty kicks. Now I'm going to make the obvious comparison that it's like Game 7 of the NBA Finals coming down to a free throw shooting contest, or the world series coming down to a home run derby. I would absolutely hate that. If the Lakers and Celtics play in the Finals and Game 7 comes down to free throw shooting I honestly would not care who won anymore and probably never watch basketball again.I'm not trying to be the stupid American criticizing soccer, because I respect the sport, but there must be an explanation.

it was soooo painful to see Terry head Giggs' shot away. I really thought that was our chance
that was the play of the match, I think. There were moments of absolute brilliance in this game. Man U's first goal was magnificent, and the double save in the like 35 minute was amazing.
I'm sorry for being the guy who knows hardly anything about soccer to criticize it, but why is it a good thing that the entire championship comes down to penalty kicks. Now I'm going to make the obvious comparison that it's like Game 7 of the NBA Finals coming down to a free throw shooting contest, or the world series coming down to a home run derby. I would absolutely hate that. If the Lakers and Celtics play in the Finals and Game 7 comes down to free throw shooting I honestly would not care who won anymore and probably never watch basketball again.I'm not trying to be the stupid American criticizing soccer, because I respect the sport, but there must be an explanation.
yeah , it is. .but the thing is.. players are extremely tired after the extra time... this isn't hockey, where there are constant substitutions... there are only a limited amount of subs each game. And once removed, they can't come back into the game. So by the end of the game, players are exhausted. So there is no really good way to decide things.. you could have additional extra time, but the quality of the game could really begin to degrade.
that was the play of the match, I think. There were moments of absolute brilliance in this game. Man U's first goal was magnificent, and the double save in the like 35 minute was amazing.
taht header really showed Terry's class IMO. He was completely cool under pressure and did what he could to push it over the bar. The double save shouldn't have even happened IMO as carrick did his best to shoot it right at Cech. I'm not taking anything away from Cech as he was spot on for both saves, but Carrick certainly knew better then to put it where he did
taht header really showed Terry's class IMO. He was completely cool under pressure and did what he could to push it over the bar. The double save shouldn't have even happened IMO as carrick did his best to shoot it right at Cech. I'm not taking anything away from Cech as he was spot on for both saves, but Carrick certainly knew better then to put it where he did
yeah, he seemed to get a little excited.. he had plenty of time to make the right shot.. but again, that's easy for me to say at home, and harder to think about when you're in the heat of the moment. Rooney was spetacular early on in that play, winning the ball deep on their defensive end, then making hell of a good, long pass to set the first shot of that sequence. It's a pity they didn't score on that play, because the build up was so good.Another match that Rooney has had zero shots on goal. Surely this isn't the role they wanted Rooney for when they signed him? I don't understand it.

it isn't the role they wanted rooney for, but he certainly did a ton of stuff today that just doesn't show up on the score sheet. It really shows how unselfish he is as you'd see him back doing defending and doing box to box type playobviously I want to see Rooney with teh ball at his feet and play running through him, but some of his passes were just brilliant tonight

it isn't the role they wanted rooney for, but he certainly did a ton of stuff today that just doesn't show up on the score sheet. It really shows how unselfish he is as you'd see him back doing defending and doing box to box type playobviously I want to see Rooney with teh ball at his feet and play running through him, but some of his passes were just brilliant tonight
Oh no, I agree with that, he did really well in the role he was given... it just seems like a strange role to give him. But then again, what do I know, Ferg just won the Champions league, and I'm just a dumb yank.
Oh no, I agree with that, he did really well in the role he was given... it just seems like a strange role to give him. But then again, what do I know, Ferg just won the Champions league, and I'm just a dumb yank.
Rooney seems happy enough with his position, he's the type of guy where it'd be pretty clear if he wasn't happy with things. When Tevez is playing, Rooney drops back slightly as the kind of central forward 'hold man', controlling the options for Tevez and Ronaldo. His work rate is good though (like when he tracked back to get the ball from Carvalho and sprayed that long cross field ball to Ronaldo last night), and he does get plenty of chances himself and will continue to... just hopefully next season he'll get a few more goals.I think it suits him just fine, much better than a lone striker role, and he's such an important player for United.. I still maintain that he's just as important as Ronaldo, even though he's shone more and taken more awards, more goals etc.As for the final being decided on penalties, there's always that discussion of whether it's fair or whatever... but there really is no other option, and at the end of the day, it does add to the drama! I mean, how good was that shoot out? One extreme of emotions to another in just a few minutes.They've tried dabbling around with a few variations, like Golden Goal (first one to score in extra time wins), Silver Goal (winner at the end of the first half of extra time wins), and maybe there's been a few other things in the history of football... I'm fairly sure that the FA Cup used to go to a replay if it was a draw, but I like penalties tbh, even though as an Englishman I've suffered a lot of heartbreak because of them, lol.
In the good ol' days they tossed a coin. Penalties is probably slightly better.
I hope you're not serious.
I'm talking way back when. 30s/40s. I'd have to look it up but I'm sure the semi-finals of a major international tournament were decided by coin-flip once upon atime. The complaints the officials got probably inspired a rule change.

And now Avram Grant is sacked, 3 inches away from winning the Champions League, dragged Chelsea out of a crisis into 2nd in the league and hes sacked.Joke club.

And now Avram Grant is sacked, 3 inches away from winning the Champions League, dragged Chelsea out of a crisis into 2nd in the league and hes sacked.Joke club.
Yeah, I don't think he deserved the sack to be honest. I almost feel sorry for him.Looks like Chelsea may be pretty active in the transfer market too, after Euro 2008... loads of talk about players leaving, and I reckon Abramovich wants some more 'flair players'. I read they were after Robinho for 28m.For the manager, Eriksson looks to be the really obvious choice, but maybe they'd prefer Rijkaard? With the hope of possibly bringing a couple of players from Barca with him perhaps.

It will be Rijkaard IMO, the same source that told me Avram Grant was sacked two days ago said he'll be given the chance next.Absolutely no chance it will be erickson LOL

• 3 months later...

Steps up to the plate and......bump!Liverpool looking like crap at the minute. Standard Liege look like a surprsingly exciting and unintimidated bunch of Belgians. Gerrard + 10 need to get their fingers out, because Reina has been far too busy!

But they're winning! Let's go Reds!
I assume you mean "But they're going to win". Probably. Gerrard in the 122nd minute obv.But if not Liverpool can continue their rivalry with AC Milan in the UEFA Cup.Edit: Credit to Arsenal. They embarressed Steve Mclaren on his return to England. I wonder what madness he will spout in post match interviews this time. (If you haven't seen/heard them, he has developed a comedy Dutch accent ala Goldmember)

Ooooh big Dirk. Every Liverpool fan's least favourite player. They still hate you Dirk, no matter how many goals you score.

The yearly UEFA CL group stage draw rigging is over:Group AChelseaRomaBordeauxCFR ClujGroup BInter MilanWerder BremenPanathinaikosAnorthosis FamagustaGroup CBarcelonaSporting LisbonBaselShakhtar DonetskGroup DLiverpoolPSV EindhovenMarseilleAtletico MadridGroup EManchester UnitedVillarrealCelticAalborgGroup FLyonBayern MunichSteaua BucharestFiorentinaGroup GArsenalFC PortoFenerbahceDynamo KievGroup HReal MadridJuventusZenit St PetersburgBate Borisov Group D looks like it could be a nice group of death and Arsenal have picked up some tasty away dates for their fans.