Champions League

Why the hell was Rooney playing defensive midfield?
We started with Tevez, so the plan was for him and Ronaldo to be the main forwards, with Rooney playing on the right. Ferguson obviously thought (and rightly, probably) that it would be too risky to play all 3 up front together, away from home). So, Rooney was there for link-up play. But yeah he ended up being pretty much out of the game... ending up in the second half especially, with him being basically non-existent.I hate it when Ferguson plays people out of position too (as I'm sure Rooney was v frustrated himself), but I've promised not to question him any more, because he's right more often than not! They'll have trained with that formation hundreds of times, so it's not like they were unprepared. Different formation, and different story back at Old Trafford hopefully.
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought united were generally poor throughout the game. The one thing they can take from the game is that they played it tight at the back and in midfield so despite barcelonas patient passing game they were unable to penetrate. Park was exceptionally poor, scholes may as well not have played and even Rooney looked bog-standard.The long ball tactic was never going to work so why they persisted with it i will never know, and on this occasion i think Fergie got it wrong. They played far too defensive and i cant see barca failing to score at old trafford, which really has me worried.Saying that, to hold Barca to a 0-0 draw in their own back yard is a solid result. But with a number of key barca players out, they really should have capitalised.Rant over. It only took so long because its taken me over a day because i couldnt find a thread.I also just received a 'so-bad-its-almost-funny' beat and appear to be on tilt, as well as locking myself out of the house today, which only adds to my frustration. But i'll save those stories for a rainy day...

In a series this close, Ronaldo's penalty miss is almost sure to come back to haunt Man U if they fail to advance. Barca is really missing Ronaldinho (okay, maybe the understatement of the year) but where they really missed him was in the free kicks.. they had several nicely placed free kicks, and they didn't capitalize on any of them. I can't envision Barca haven't that high of ToP with Ronaldinho in and failing to score.

Tonight's prediction:Manchester United 9-8 BarcelonaRooney (2, 7, 49), Ronaldo (4, 18, 72), Anderson (1), Tevez (64), Van der Sar (90+5)Messi (9, 22, 36, 78), Deco (53), Eto'o (87, 88, 89) :club: Ok then... Manchester United 2-1 Barcelona.

Tonight's prediction:Manchester United 9-8 BarcelonaRooney (2, 7, 49), Ronaldo (4, 18, 72), Anderson (1), Tevez (64), Van der Sar (90+5)Messi (9, 22, 36, 78), Deco (53), Eto'o (87, 88, 89) :club: Ok then... Manchester United 2-1 Barcelona.
The only thing implausible about your 9-8 prediction is Anderson scoring!2-2 tonight. Barca on away goals.
The only thing implausible about your 9-8 prediction is Anderson scoring!2-2 tonight. Barca on away goals.
Alrighty then! There's only one way to settle this, what with your lack of confidence in United and Anderson...Avatar bet is on. If United go through, you have to change your avatar for a week, to this:374http_2F2Ff3_yahoofs_com2Fymg2Fuk.jpgIf Barca go through, I'll change to this:ScotlandFlag_000.jpgor, you're free to choose another one for me.There is no chance of us losing tonight, so let's get it on!

Done. But I'd rather you didn't use the soltaire if you lose. I'd prefer this...Manchester_City.gif

Hmmm Anderson benched. Obviously SAF trusts him for the big ones!And Park starts again, fantastico!

Hmmm Anderson benched. Obviously SAF trusts him for the big ones!And Park starts again, fantastico!
There's Ronaldo, Nani and Tevez as a front 3, and then Park, Scholes and Carrick in the middle.If you're looking for two to sit back and one to go forward, there's no room for Anderson. Park and Carrick will probably sit a little deeper and play the defensive roles needed to free Scholes. The only real choice was between Scholes and Anderson for the attacking role, and Fergie has picked Scholes.TBH I wish he'd just play Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes in the middle, but w/e. I guess there's no other right back available with Brown needed in the middle, and I prefer Park to Fletcher or O'Shea.I just hope it doesn't drift back into a defensive 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 formation.
Liverpool>Arsenal checkChelsea>Fenerbahce checkUnited>Roma checkBarca>Shalke checkThenChelsea>LiverpoolI really cannot pick between United and Barca. No idea.In the final I think it will beBarca/United > Chelsea
Hmm.So far so good.Because Ronaldinho is out and their league form is a little shaky, I'll go for United>Barca. check
5 down, 2 to go, and Chelsea have an advantage going into the second leg.

Meh, congrats gents. And I'll have Anderson as my avatar ASAP. But I will stand by a few things and tonight cleared them up.Messi>Ronaldo.Nani is a waste of space.Barca were the better side. Zambrotta clears that in the other direction and it's a different story, but a phenomenal strike nonetheless.Man Utd should win it now, all the best.

Meh, congrats gents. And I'll have Anderson as my avatar ASAP. But I will stand by a few things and tonight cleared them up.Messi>Ronaldo.Nani is a waste of space.Barca were the better side. Zambrotta clears that in the other direction and it's a different story, but a phenomenal strike nonetheless.Man Utd should win it now, all the best.
^^^ lol pwned!Nice avatar... who is that guy btw? You a big fan of his or something? :club:
Nani is a waste of space.
Meh, he did his job. Tried a few things that didn't work but overall he played pretty well.
Barca were the better side.
Messi>Ronaldo.
Messi played really well, although he never really got past us. He made a lot of runs infield and made some good through balls, but overall it never really got anywhere. Ronaldo played well and did what was needed, but was pretty quiet. Like last week though, a lot of that was because of how both teams were playing.Barca had more posession. They had more attempts. They made more attacking moves.That's because United got a goal and sat back. Whenever Messi got the ball he had Eto'o, Iniesta, Deco, Xavi, Zambrotta and Abidal all upfield, making infield runs, looking for the ball and moving defenders around. Barca were fighting to get a goal, and the United defenders were more "occupied".When Ronaldo got the ball he usually had Nani and Tevez there (although Nani usually likes to stay out wide), but the others were all reluctant to make probing runs. For good reason. There was no need for us to really go forward and attack.

Messi skipped past your defenders a lot more than you cared to notice. Ronaldo came unstuck against Zambrotta several times. Don't think he got past him once. But w/e. I'm sure you boys don't care that your star man didn't look the business tonight as long as he does it in the final.And Tevez - vastly under-rated, the man was everywhere tonight. If he has a long career at Old Trafford then it could be one of the best ever.

That's because United got a goal and sat back.
We had a few chances to go 2 ahead, with a few periods where we looked very dangerous going forward... but yeah, after 60/65 mins on, it was basically backs to the wall. For the last 10 minutes, all I wanted us to do was keep the ball for longer than 15 seconds but we couldn't seem to. I'll admit I was pretty frantic at the end!
And Tevez - vastly under-rated, the man was everywhere tonight. If he has a long career at Old Trafford then it could be one of the best ever.
QFT, he should get a huge mention. Great performance, man of the match for United, imo.One thing, again, Van der Sar... I like him, and rate him highly, but hmmmmm.. just making me nervous at the moment a lot.Oh, and nice touch on the sig too (you'll win one soon :club: )
Messi skipped past your defenders a lot more than you cared to notice. Ronaldo came unstuck against Zambrotta several times. Don't think he got past him once. But w/e. I'm sure you boys don't care that your star man didn't look the business tonight as long as he does it in the final.And Tevez - vastly under-rated, the man was everywhere tonight. If he has a long career at Old Trafford then it could be one of the best ever.
Yeah, Messi played well, but he didn't actually DO anything. He got one shot off in the first half that Van der Sar got to easily. He was skipping past challenges and drifting into the middle, but he very rarely managed to get through the defence. He opened up space and passed well, but I didn't think he really looked like getting in and scoring.I was extremely impressed with Zambrotta. He was one of Barca's best players and managed to stop Ronaldo and Evra countless times.

Before the goal it felt like it was going to be a pure cracker of a game, although Man U had trouble with possesion.Kind of fell apart but was pretty tense. I like Hargreaves, hes a fighter. The only thing I think Man U lack is some hot headed Roy Keane leader type.I mean they are the full package, but both legs, they seemed vunerable and a bit shaky. Last Year agaisnt Milan too. It would have been interesting how they would have handled conceding a goal.Anyway I'm happy. Fergie obviously deserves another Champs league trophy.Messi was impressive, don't think I've ever seen someone skip through Scholes like that before.

Great goal by Scholes. gg Man U.Still reeling from Riise's own goal last week.....my wife who knows nothing about soccer saw it and goes "dont they kill players for stuff like that??"guess he is lucky he doesnt play for Colombia.....

man, I need to check this forum way more often

Are you serious! I left at the 1 minute mark into extra time.... oh noes! I cant' believe I missed the own goal! that's fcking awful!!!! I'm furious!! ARGHHH!!!! I feel like puking.
hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
this is pretty lol too. We've only given up 2 goals on 4 occasions this year so far, and only once was it at home
barca wasn't the better side, what game were you watching. They were all lead up and no finishing. Plus, from the 30th minute on, it was very clear that ManU were the superior side and Barca were lucky not to lose by more
One thing, again, Van der Sar... I like him, and rate him highly, but hmmmmm.. just making me nervous at the moment a lot.
He'll be fine for the final. Vidic will be in full health, we'll have wrapped up the league, and soon we'll have Ben Foster to look forward to for the next 10+ years between the sticks
barca wasn't the better side, what game were you watching. They were all lead up and no finishing. Plus, from the 30th minute on, it was very clear that ManU were the superior side and Barca were lucky not to lose by more
Uh-huh, now James, Simo and I may disagree on things but they don't come away with downright daft comments, thats my thing.But to say Barca weren't better is offside. They are technically better and Man U had to be at their best to stop them getting through to EVDS. They didn't get a chance to finish and credit to Rio and co for that but "all lead up" was so good at times it left Man U reeling. And lucky not to lose by more? Maybe because Valdes was flapping at crosses but other than the goal Man U only had one shot on target.It was a good close game. But Barca are a technically gifted side who pass the ball better than anyone in Europe but they only showed that sporidically tonight, Messi apart.