Qj Early In Tourny

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)UTG+1 (t1345)MP1 (t1295)MP2 (t2935)MP3 (t2630)CO (t1805)Button (t1765)SB (t1145)BB (t2770)Hero (t2390)Preflop: Hero is UTG with Jheart.gif, Qheart.gif. Hero calls t30, 4 folds, CO raises to t150, 3 folds, Hero calls t120.Flop: (t345) Qspade.gif, 2club.gif, 7spade.gif(2 players)Hero checks, CO bets t255, Hero raises to t750, CO raises to t1650, Hero ?This guy likes to pick off limpers. We've only been playing for about 25 min so that's my only read on him so far. What do you think I should do?

I wouldn't put myself all in this early in a tourney with top pair and medium kicker against a guy that could very well have a set or even A-Q. He raised pre-flop...and you called with Q-J. As you said, you haven't been playing with him that long and he APPEARS to be strong with the initial raise and then the reraise. With two spades on the flop, he's probably trying to get you off a possible flush draw with the reraiseWhy the reraise by you? Could have played small-ball with the smooth call instead....but even that probably isn't the right move here. Not getting involved was probably best.Is it really worth it early with top pair, so-so kicker?I would fold.

open fold preflop, fold again when it gets raised preflop and is back to you, and uhh prolly fold on the flop cuz you're almost certainly beat but there's a ton of chips in that pot, i'm not really sure why you put yourself in this spot. you should not be making that check-raise on the flop (such a big # of chips in relation to blinds/stacks) unless you already know what you're doing if he 1) smooth calls 2) shoves

Given his big reraise of your decent-sized check-raise on the flop, I'm guessing he has something:1) Maybe 77? If he likes to pick off limpers, he might have raised PF to isolate you with 77.2) QQ? Not that likely, considering you're holding the other Q and the size of his PF raise.3) AQ or KQ? Possbly, though you'd think your flop check-raise after your PF limp might give him pause.4) Ax spades? Distinct possiblity, getting all his chips in on the flop with the nut flush draw.Is it worth putting your tourney life on the line with top pair, decent kicker?

open fold preflop, fold again when it gets raised preflop and is back to you, and uhh prolly fold on the flop cuz you're almost certainly beat but there's a ton of chips in that pot, i'm not really sure why you put yourself in this spot. you should not be making that check-raise on the flop (such a big # of chips in relation to blinds/stacks) unless you already know what you're doing if he 1) smooth calls 2) shoves
yea...pretty much everything you did here was wrong.

I usually like the way you play, Gabe, but I don't know what you did in this hand. Very weird.To answer the question, I would fold.Limp in UTG with the sooted Q-J - I don't have a HUGE problem with, a fold might be a better option. Calling the T120 raise OOP - I hate. Check raising that flop - I hate, you hand is pretty marginal + by rasing you take away the ability for him to 2nd barrell the turn with AK. I'd say he for sure has to have an over pair here, at the very worst he has A-Q, so it's a clear fold. If he's lost his mind with J-J, then he'll go broke another hand... but this is 100% a fold.

Ya, I totally messed up this hand and that's why I posted it. I usually fold this preflop after I get raised but this guy seemed to want to play pots with me all the time. That's why I called OOP with QJ s. It has good flop odds, but i'm starting to think it was the wrong decision. I usually check to the raiser after the flop whether I hit or miss the flop. That's why I checked. Then I guess I should of just called. After I raised and he shoved I was like *@$^@#! There was so much money in the pot but so little hands that I could beat that it made the decision really hard. I could not put him on a hand I beat besides AJ or AK of spades in which case I'm a tiny fav and a tiny dog. So I folded the hand. Don't know what he had. I totally killed this hand and played it badly. meh. Afterwards, I got AJ and built my stack to 2k again. blinds were at 50/100 and a donkey pushed from CO for 1250. I called and he flipped A4. 4 on the turn and I'm short stack with 600. Next hand in the SB i pick up 44 get it in against 88 and he flops quads. I'm out.

Given his big reraise of your decent-sized check-raise on the flop, I'm guessing he has something:1) Maybe 77? If he likes to pick off limpers, he might have raised PF to isolate you with 77.2) QQ? Not that likely, considering you're holding the other Q and the size of his PF raise.3) AQ or KQ? Possbly, though you'd think your flop check-raise after your PF limp might give him pause.4) Ax spades? Distinct possiblity, getting all his chips in on the flop with the nut flush draw.
5) KK6) AA
Ya, I totally messed up this hand and that's why I posted it. I usually fold this preflop after I get raised but this guy seemed to want to play pots with me all the time. That's why I called OOP with QJ s. It has good flop odds, but i'm starting to think it was the wrong decision. I usually check to the raiser after the flop whether I hit or miss the flop. That's why I checked. Then I guess I should of just called. After I raised and he shoved I was like *@$^@#! There was so much money in the pot but so little hands that I could beat that it made the decision really hard. I could not put him on a hand I beat besides AJ or AK of spades in which case I'm a tiny fav and a tiny dog. So I folded the hand. Don't know what he had. I totally killed this hand and played it badly. meh. Afterwards, I got AJ and built my stack to 2k again. blinds were at 50/100 and a donkey pushed from CO for 1250. I called and he flipped A4. 4 on the turn and I'm short stack with 600. Next hand in the SB i pick up 44 get it in against 88 and he flops quads. I'm out.
Not really sure what this means, but even if you're saying that QJs can hit alot of flops, there's still not alot of flops you're hoping to see with a raise preflop that you can check-raise him with. I, personally, think this hand was played terrible all around. Fine...I'll pretend to give you the argument of calling his raise because QJs has "good flop odds" :club: , but is that the flop you're really hoping to make a big check-raise with on the flop? Just wondering...
You usually fold this preflop after you get raised ? You should probably be folding this utg period.
with a 30 blind and a giant M?ya ok..

Open fold. You just said he likes to pick off limpers. You are not going to get a cheap flop here. If you had said that he likes to see a lot flops than fine but you already stated he id going to pick you off(I'm assuming you mean he'll raise limpers). Should fold to the reraise.The flop should be played small, you play QJs this far for it's draw potential and you did not hit a draw. QJs stinks UTG unless you are quite confident you'll see that cheap flop(and hopefully many see the flop and you hit well). I think you believe you can outplay this player but made the mistake of making pot too large. You want to see cheap flops, he doesn't, you got tired of waiting and you made a mistake.Patience, if he was doing this for 25 mins, you could have found a better spot.

I think he took offense to your check-raise :club: Srsly, assuming the player was aggressive and you wanted to subdue his aggression, I'm not sure the check-raise was a good play here as just betting out. The check-raise reeks of FPS and aggressors tend to have a pitbull approach to fancy play.

with a 30 blind and a giant M?ya ok..
Just because you have the money in your stack and the blinds are low, doesn't mean you should call. It's a risky hand to limp with UTG at a full table because there are still 8 players to act after you. QJs is a hand that can easily get you in trouble. Limping in this situation should depend on how the table has been playing up to that point: if there are lots of players limping PF, then go ahead and limp UTG; but if the table is playing tight, I'd throw them away.
I think he took offense to your check-raise :club: Srsly, assuming the player was aggressive and you wanted to subdue his aggression, I'm not sure the check-raise was a good play here as just betting out. The check-raise reeks of FPS and aggressors tend to have a pitbull approach to fancy play.
A check-raise isn't fancy. It's pretty standard. Aggressors tend to have a pitbull approach to donkbetting too.

Leaving aside the preflop issues, as played, I would lead out at this flop for about half the pot. That seems to be the cheapest way to figure out if you have the best hand or not. If he's still willing to raise you, then you have to give him credit for a better hand, and you can get out without too much damage.

We have to rule what you did PF here, you made your decision and that's ok.. What you want is after the flop is information... Leading out with a 1/2 pot bet would give you the information that you need. If it's you get raised and it's a big raise, you know you are beat. If you simply get called, I think you can either figure he has a monster or you have the best hand and he has a lower pocket pair or AK..Having said all of this, fold to a raise PF with QJ, it's not that strong of a hand, and if you get in a situation like this, especially early in a tourney, you can get yourself into a lot of trouble