PAD vs HSP  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do you Prefer?

• HSP
    • Poker After Dark

Personally, Im choosing Poker after Dark, as I find it closely resembles HSP , but is more focused on the action and table talk.*Edit* Post your reasoning.

I disagree.HSP is all about table talk, and it's just a much better game to watch. We all know how to play, or can watch tourney games all day long on tv, but HSP shows you something much different.

I disagree.HSP is all about table talk, and it's just a much better game to watch. We all know how to play, or can watch tourney games all day long on tv, but HSP shows you something much different.
I dont agree there Kurt. Often times while watching HSP , the table talk is drowned out by Gabe Kaplan . He announces everything thats going on , and thats great , but Id rather hear the players talking about stories of the past. For instance, last night on PAD (tvio'd coulda been older) , Dolly and David Grey were talking about the LHHU match against Beal . I found it much more interesting, granted the announcer for PAD is a toolbox who spouts one liners, but it never drowns out the action thats going on . Another example , did anyone watch the Huckseed Hansen headup match? Barely any talking, you saw 95% of the hands .. and you got to listen to the guys actually tabletalk to each other ..
I dont agree there Kurt. Often times while watching HSP , the table talk is drowned out by Gabe Kaplan . He announces everything thats going on , and thats great , but Id rather hear the players talking about stories of the past. For instance, last night on PAD (tvio'd coulda been older) , Dolly and David Grey were talking about the LHHU match against Beal . I found it much more interesting, granted the announcer for PAD is a toolbox who spouts one liners, but it never drowns out the action thats going on . Another example , did anyone watch the Huckseed Hansen headup match? Barely any talking, you saw 95% of the hands .. and you got to listen to the guys actually tabletalk to each other ..
Fair enough. Granted I don't watch as much PAD, cause I had a bunch tivo'd and it filled up my space and I had to delete em before I watched most. But I prefer Gabe over pretty much any other announcers, so I don't mind his commentary, and you still see quite a bit of talk. Plus I just like the action better. Both are good though.

HSP but it's close.PaD is much better at the beginning of the week when the blinds are small. The final episode where they seem to raise the blinds every other hand gets nuts (though you get some good tourney strat there). If they turned PaD into a week long cash game it'd be more interesting.HSP because it's a cash game and because of the players seems to operate at a different level. I also like most of Kaplan's commentary. He should learn to shut up when interesting table talk is happening but he does add some depth - last episode his talking about how bad Sammy was steaming was interesting for example. PaD can get majorly boring when there are duds at the table - like most of champion's week.PaD wins a lot of point for sheer volume though. Honestly if you told me I could see new PaD every week or 12 episodes of HSP a year I'd take PaD in a heartbeat.

As Barry Greenstein says about HSP, "it's the favorite show for all the kids on the internet!"So... seeing as we're all the kids on the internet (even though I'm 27), I gotta say HSP.Really, I prefer it because it's different to 98% of all other poker shows, in that it's a cash game. We've all seen so many tourney's in various forms, AND it's high stakes, with some of the world's best players. For me, it's not even close which is best. Also, I disagree that the table talk on PAD is better. Over the 3 series so far, there's been some amazing banter and dialogue.

I prefer the game on HSP more. In addition, Gabe occasionally gives some decent insight. The big hand between Townsend and Wasika was a great example. Gabe pointed out that JH's reluctant fold indicated to Townsend that she likely had an Ace. With an Ace on Board and an Ace in his hand, it was difficult for Townsend to put Wasika on the case Ace. I thought that was very interesting analysis. The PAD guy would snap off some lame one liner there.

We dont get GSN here which sucks so i had to go wiht pad, poker after dark is usually pretty good but sometimes it just bores me
pss...thepokerbay.org

Ya know what , besides reruns and new episodes of WSOP ... PAD is the only tournament poker I watch. And after reflecting on this , Im thankful we have both PAd and HSP. PAD definitly fulfills my need since I only get 1 HSP a week . Both are awesome shows and intuitive in thier own right.

No contest ... HSP in a land slide. The point about not hearing all the table talk with Kaplan over top is valid, but so is the fact that he provides humour and knowledge above and beyond every other commentator on any poker show.Its the kids on the internet favourite show .... just ask Barry!

hsp ainec......................Lot different when you can lose 250k of your own money.... more action and better poker
...a lot different when you can lose ANY of your own money. Half the players on PAD aren't putting up the 20k on their own. So the play reflects it (people making last longer bets the size of the buy-in... with MULTIPLE people).If they each had to buy-in for 50k, of their own cash, it would make for a better watch.

The thing After Dark has going for it is definitely the amount of hands we get to see (80% is it?).That's something it has over HSP. Plus, we get to see some players that would never dare sit on an HSP table but are still fun to watch.

PAD is great, especially if you're mostly interested in playing sit and go's. great tournament strategies. the hands are pretty black and white. i like that they show folding hands, walks, etc.sometimes it feels like the stakes are'nt high enough for some players. they look boredthe table talk is cool, commentary sucks. shanna...greatHSP... Awesome. The swings, the moves, etc, seems more like REAL poker. REAL gambling AND everything makes sense. No scratch-off play there.table talk is cool, commentary is coolgotta go with HSP.

For me, I like the "play" on HSP the best.The stories are better on PAD.The episodes with all the TV Commentators (Gabe, Phil, Howard, Mike); that was a great show with great stories.

PAD gets quality volume points in my book. Instead of just seeing highlights, we're getting almost 100% of hands from a high-stakes SNG. If you cut out the commercials and filler commentary, you probably only get 40 minutes of HSP per week...whereas you get something like 200 minutes per week with PAD. That leaves more room for stories and more room for continuous entertainment. HSP has better commentary/analysis and has interesting deep-stack cash strategy. That said, PAD mostly leaves it up to the viewer to analyze...which is a refreshing change of pace. I learn from both shows, but PAD allows me to learn with more context and personal observation.

I like PAD, and appreciate the frequency and mostly non-existant overchat. I wonder why they insist on the fiction of it taking place over multiple nights? HSP has Gabe, and Gabe as commentator > any other. If I were producing PAD, I'd have Shana sitting at the table, and she'd have pre-interview notes on all the players, and she'd be moderating the conversation when the table chatter died. I'd even have her lean over the table to help stack/count the chips sometimes. The bartender who breaks into a huge fake model-smile everytime she realizes she's getting camera time over someone's should HAS TO GO. She can be replaced by someone hotter. Any of the servers from HSP will do. Make it so.