New Challenge (old Challenge)

441 hands last night for +9 buy ins will have to post graph when i get home from work.feels great to run good once and awhile!!!

• Replies 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoSup4U

• RDog

• bull62

• Jordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody like you, so you get lost.

Posted Images

any gun owners here wanna give me some advice?also, how much should i be looking to spend roughly, on a gun / ammo (proper amount to keep in house) / anything else appropriate.- Jordan
I've been a hunter for pretty much my entire life, but I am by no means an expert. For home security however, I would recommend getting a shotgun. Nothing strikes fear into anybody like the sound of a shell going into a chamber. I think you'll probably spend about $200-300 on a nice shotgun. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Remington 870, but just got to a gun shop and any knowledgeable person will be able to steer you in the right direction. Ammo isn't that expensive, like $15-20 for a box of 25. Plus I'm almost 100% positive you can go to any store, and buy it today, whereas a pistol you have to file for a license that may take weeks. Personally I enjoy shooting so I own a .22 rifle and two twelve gauge shotguns and will defintly be expanding on this when it makes sense (like when I'm out of college). There's a thread in general off-topic with a lot more knowledgeable people than I.

Jordan, I don't really have an opinion on the gun but for sure you need to get a real lock on your back door. If it is the kind of flimsy door I am thinking of you might even consider getting a new door.

sighhhhhhh, just bubbled an FTOPS ME seat for the second time to the two worst players ever. I've been wanting to play in this event forever but it looks like I'll be missing it once again as sats just tilt me to no ****ing end. Don't think I want to try anymore.

bet flopbet turnshove river
yeah, i've been thinking about that since the hand happened. last week, i would have def agreed with you, and i still mostly do, but last night i was pushing people off pots like mad and no one was fighting back, ever, so when i flopped quads, i ended up playing it slow. in retrospect, and given villian's hand, i probably could have bet at least one earlier street (although that might not have ended up getting much more money in the pot), but i didn't know his hand obviously. still, that board may be drawy enough in a three way pot to lead at it anyways - lots of PP, FD, and SD can call obv - and it's pretty easy for a scare card to come off instead of making his hand.anyways, it worked out alright, but i'm not at all convinced that i played it well. three cheers for overplaying the anti-nut flush on a paired board!
any gun owners here wanna give me some advice?i been having night mares (not really sure why, but at least 3x now) of people breaking into our house. it's really strange for me to have them...as i haven't had a reoccuring nightmare since i was real young.anyways, last nite around 2am i thought I heard something really weird, and almost went up to check but was tired/almost asleep and fell asleep. wake up this morning and our back door is open but nothing is gone. 100% sure door was shut and locked, as keturah checked it before she went to bed...so idk. we have a porch in the back yard, and the sound that alarmed me was that kinda sound when someone steps down on your front/back porch and you can kinda 'feel' it throughout your house. anyways, i said something like "fk" when i heard that relatively loudly, so maybe if someone was trying to break in they heard that. idk, maybe it was nothing...but def weird as hell.our back door lock is one where you just turn the little thing that is on the door knob...it's not a major lock, and when i checked the door it was positioned still in the 'locked' position.anyways, i'm going on and on...but i'm basically curious (if anyone has a clue) if it's possible the door magically opened, even tho it was locked, or if someone could have gotten the door open without 'unlocking' the shitty little lock we had or w/e. idk, i'm not a flake on hearing stuff and i hadn't smoked any herb :club: so i wasn't paranoid...just very weird.next question is: thoughts on a gun? ive been thinking bout getting one for a while now and i think i am now. just don't wanna ever have something happen and not feel like i can defend myself and keturah. f that. so with this + my strange dreams i think our fear based society finally got to me :)ive shot some 9mm and some 45s and felt ok with either one...but would it be better to just get some sort of 9m with medium capacity?also, if i buy a gun will i become an addict and buy more? ppl always seem to say this and just wondering on the verdict. my cousin bought a pistol and then got a m4 thing and an ak47. the ak47 is super tight and has a bayonet lolol. i was like, really, an ak 47, you need that?thxalso, how much should i be looking to spend roughly, on a gun / ammo (proper amount to keep in house) / anything else appropriate.- Jordan
About a month back i actual had someone try to get into my house when me and my wife were home. we live out in the country. first i called my dad who is the police cheif in our town adn he lives 1 mile down the road. 2nd i called 911. i was was trying to find my 12 guage shot gun ( i am a huge hunter) and that is the only gun i own. i then remebered it was in the garage on my 4 wheeler from the last hunting trip i had. well the door to garage is in the entry right next to the front door that th eguy was trying to open, with a 2'x 4' stain glass window so i didnt want to go for it since they would see me. when my dad arrived roughly 4-5 mins later guy had already left. he was on foot, i assume since i saw no lights leaving or hear anything. 60 ft from my door is solid pine trees for 100s of acres. since that night i now keep my shot gun and 5 slug shells under my bed. i also have thought of gettting a 9mm. to keep in my night stand next to me. i have also had a few night mares only since the night it happened though.edit: also you may want to think about new door or atleast install a dead bolt lock
Jordan, I don't really have an opinion on the gun but for sure you need to get a real lock on your back door. If it is the kind of flimsy door I am thinking of you might even consider getting a new door.
I agree with getting the best lock/door as possible.That said, a locked door really just keeps honest people honest. As someone who did the occasional breaking & entering growing up, the reality is if someone wants in, they'll get in. The better the lock, the harder it is, obviously, and the more likely to prevent an honest person from pursuing that dream of crimehood. Crimehood isn't a word, apparently.
and the more likely to prevent an honest person from pursuing that dream of crimehood.
LOL. I think some honest people don;t have this dream. Or at least of they do, they have it more of a dream than as a "I'm going to act on it, dammit the lock is too good" type of dream. I think once you start trying to do it, you weren't that honest in the first place.Dick.

by request... this is yesterday early morning. the last 1345 hands are against this one megaaggrodonkfish who i had convinced that i was the worst player on earth (apparently that's not difficult by the way i play?), and also that i was hammered. i also told him i was calling into work cuz i was drunk and stuck at poker (as we got closer to 9 am). easily the longest match ive ever had against anyone in my life. it also cost me the mouse pad thingy's buttons on my laptop, which resulted in an additional $29.99 on a laptop usb mouse, lol.jan212009td0.jpg

ive already called police to see if they had any other complaints/stuff going around.we also called our landlord bout the locks..we wanna get that shit fixed asap.it's just very unnerving to hear what i heard, wake up, and notice the backdoor is wide open.i'm not the paranoid type, and my neighborhood isn't "bad". but that doesn't mean bad shit happens. There is a rapist at large right now called the "grandview rapist". i live in grandview. he rapes women, whilst doing B&E's w/ a knife or gun. i dont remember the coutn right now, but it's a repeat thing...i live in an urban area. it's not a bad part of town; but w/e. i'm not afraid, but i'm also not gonna just sit around and wait. and i mean, i'm studying social work. i have a decent understanding of gun pro's and negatives. i dont want to get a gun, but im somewhat feeling the need/would feel safer if i had one. doesn't mean i'll be taking it with me at all. i just want it for the house, nothing more/less.and to waht jay said, i always figured if someone wanted to get in a house, they can. but the fact that if someone did try and break in, they now know how easy it is and that is what concerns me. so yea, we'll beef stuff up, but i dont want to be caught off guard and some mfer thinks that he can walk into our house and take off. i'm actualyl now more nervous buot being robbed whilst outta the house then at home. i already hid all my poker documents and shit just in case loool

I've been playing HU NL since the end of July.
but the graph says...ahh nmI think I'm gonna start dropping buyins at the start of every session. Winning early is over-fking rated imo

Hey Jordan, me and the g/f are planning to move to C-Bus in August since she's graduating and I'm transferring to tOSU. Where are some good places/what's rent prices like down there for a decent 2 bed/1 bath apt?

This sounds pretty made up. Statistics of more breakins in suburbs than cities please. I'm pretty sure you're also more likely to die if you have a gun than if you don't during break-ins, because obv things could escalate, but I'm not positive, I guess I could look it up if it becomes a bone of contention. It's Jordan's opinion, he is well within his right to do what he thinks keeps him safest.But if I felt unsafe with where I lived, I'd choose to live somewhere else, not get a gun. It's kind of like a Seinfeld stand up "The helmet is the stupidest invention of all time. People are doing activities that cause them to hurt their head. We invent the helmet to lessen the pain if a head injury takes place. Why don't people just stop doing the activity that is hurting their head!"I butchered the quote, but it's along those lines. I think Jordan's looking for the wrong solution to his problem. But, I really don't want to get in a gun debate.
LOLIm going to leave it at that because I also dont want to get into a gun debate. Jordan I havent read past this point but I know everything about guns for recreation, hunting and personal defense. PM me your AIM and we can talk. Im at work and have a meeting in 15min that lasts for about 2hrs. I will IM you after that.
I've been a hunter for pretty much my entire life, but I am by no means an expert. For home security however, I would recommend getting a shotgun. Nothing strikes fear into anybody like the sound of a shell going into a chamber. I think you'll probably spend about $200-300 on a nice shotgun. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Remington 870, but just got to a gun shop and any knowledgeable person will be able to steer you in the right direction. Ammo isn't that expensive, like $15-20 for a box of 25. Plus I'm almost 100% positive you can go to any store, and buy it today, whereas a pistol you have to file for a license that may take weeks. Personally I enjoy shooting so I own a .22 rifle and two twelve gauge shotguns and will defintly be expanding on this when it makes sense (like when I'm out of college). There's a thread in general off-topic with a lot more knowledgeable people than I.
ok ok i kept reading. shotguns spray instead of shooting one single projectile which is good for home defense, but they are bad because they are so big. Yes they are scary looking, but and intruder is going to be scared of a pistol being pointed/shot at him as much as a shotgun.Also it doesnt take weeks to get a pistol. It takes about 15min for them to run a background check. However Im sure this could differ depending on your location.

well grandview is a good place to live. we have three bed rooms, good sized back yard, covered garage, basement, in a prime location, and pay 1.1k month. i think it's underpriced and part of the reason we grabbed this place. there are good spots for what you are looking for to. ours is a house but there are a lot of apartment/duplex things that would prob run between 500-800 for ya in this area.i used to live in clintonville which is also a good place to live. i had a 2 bedroom 1 bath and a third small room which could be like a room/office and paid 800/month for it. it's a bit closer to campus too.you could find a place on campus but imo if you dont have to, i wouldn't. clintonville/grandview are both close enough to campus. takes me like 15 min to get on campus from grandview, mainly cause of traffic. from clintonville i would ride my bike.but for what you're looking at, i wouldn't expect to spend anything over 1k regardless of where you're at. this area is reasonable tho. it can get ridic pricey if youre in the short north, which is like <5 minutes away and right in the heart of columbus bars/arts/restaurant places. younger crowd there too. - Jordan

I'm pretty sure we've never had a gun debate in the history of the challenge thread. I guess we can check that off the list now.

About a month back i actual had someone try to get into my house when me and my wife were home. we live out in the country. first i called my dad who is the police cheif in our town adn he lives 1 mile down the road. 2nd i called 911. i was was trying to find my 12 guage shot gun ( i am a huge hunter) and that is the only gun i own. i then remebered it was in the garage on my 4 wheeler from the last hunting trip i had. well the door to garage is in the entry right next to the front door that th eguy was trying to open, with a 2'x 4' stain glass window so i didnt want to go for it since they would see me. when my dad arrived roughly 4-5 mins later guy had already left. he was on foot, i assume since i saw no lights leaving or hear anything. 60 ft from my door is solid pine trees for 100s of acres. since that night i now keep my shot gun and 5 slug shells under my bed. i also have thought of gettting a 9mm. to keep in my night stand next to me. i have also had a few night mares only since the night it happened though.edit: also you may want to think about new door or atleast install a dead bolt lock
FYI 9mm arent great defense guns either. The bullets go soooo fast and they are so small that they go right thru someone, they dont knock you down which is what you want.My father in law is a deputy and someone that is cranked up on drugs and coming at you wont even feel a 9mm go thru them he said. Something like a .40 or .45 will knock them on their ass. Way more force coming at them than a 9mm can offer.

Hey Jordan,I'm an avid hunter, so I have a rifle and shotgun in my room. I also have a Lab/Retriever mix so he's great for being on the lookout. Legally in Canada you need to store your guns and ammo seperately, but I always keep a shotgun shell or 2 in a drawyer for easy access. Really though, just the sound of a shotgun being pumped or cocked would be lots to fend off someone doing a B&E. Since US laws are more laxed than Canada, you can prolly get a shotgun for like $150, and ammo for about $20. Anyone who is scared of having a gun is scared because they don't know how to use it. If you know how to handle a gun and are comfortable with it, no need to worry. If you're thinking of alternatives to fending off a burglar, do you have an alarm on your car? If so, just keep your keys handy by your bedside, and if you hear something just hit the alarm button on your keys. Run good not getting B&E'd one time?